Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front plate on your car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:04 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes I wonder how long it would take to get stopped for not having a rear plate in CA. It might take a while.

In San Francisco you'll eventually get a ticket while parked, so I do have a front (and back) plate on there at the moment. I used the Skene Design bracket, since it was cheaper than an OEM bracket and seemed like a reasonable compromise by putting the holes underneath and out of sight.

The offset look of the tow hook mounts doesn't really work for me.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:15 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

I driven for 5 years without an incident. Can't bring myself to drilling holes in my front bumper.

Jay
Old 08-05-2015, 12:42 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

i put one of these on and very happy. (tow hook mount)

http://rhoplate.com
Attached Images    
Old 08-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 976 Posts

I never ran a front plate on my 996 and I never had an issue. Unfortunately, my Porsche dealer had already drilled into the front bumper and installed the standard Porsche plate holder on the 997 TT before I bought it. The clear bra is also installed around it, so removing it will leave a hole in the clear bra as well as two big holes in the bumper cover. I guess I'll keep it until it's time to redo the bra.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:06 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I am moving to Tennessee, doo dah, doo dah, I don't have this problem no mo', oh dee doo dah day!!

I've paid probably $300 in fines in my 18 years in Ohio, but still wouldn't put one on. My wife got a ticket for one on one of her SUV's and she made me put one on hers.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:42 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Front plate on your car?

I have not had front plates on any of my cars (except my truck) in SoCal for as long as I can recall. 2 fix-it tickets in 20+ years. This is not something most jurisdictions police heavily at all.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:53 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by campbellcj
I have not had front plates on any of my cars (except my truck) in SoCal for as long as I can recall. 2 fix-it tickets in 20+ years. This is not something most jurisdictions police heavily at all.
Uh oh. You are gonna get flamed. I mentioned the same thing and everyone started a bonfire and told me I was wrong and must never drive.

Lived in CA my whole life. Drive about 25k a year all over from The Mexican border up to Mammoth and in my 30 yrs of driving have never had on a front plate and have never received a ticket.

All these honked up front plates suck. The Porsche just doesn't look good and doesn't have a nose for front plates.

Like someone else said, it's like putting a clown nose on a super model.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Front plate chicago

In Illinois especially Chicago you will get a ticket when you park anywhere, I even got tickets multiple times a week parked at O'hare even when pulling up close to a wall! 2 tickets a week became the norm!

On a side note everytime I got pulled over for speeding for 5 years they just gave me a no front plate ticket!!

Put a toe hook front plate bracket on my 5 series 4 years ago. Perfect solution!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i put one of these on and very happy. (tow hook mount)

http://rhoplate.com
Same one I have, works great. If you drive into manhattan via the tunnel, you will be pulled over.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:08 AM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Park anywhere in Santa Monica without a front plate? Meter maids are out to get you. I've gotten a ticket in short term parking at LAX for no front plate, and the car was parked against a wall! If you're just driving through you're OK, but park anywhere in West LA and you're at risk.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Mechanicalrepair
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the UK you have to have a front plate by law, the dealers also fit a kind of plastic mounting for the plate to be screwed to, I imported my own car so avoided the drilling of the front bumper and just used a stick on plate albeit it's half the size it should be, just have to see what happens.

Name:  image_zpsqc3vp58w.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  86.7 KB

Think the fine is £100 to start with then if you persist you can loose the plate.

Carl
Old 08-09-2015, 07:09 PM
elite1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got a ticket today by a meter maid. They didn't even get out of their car to do it, they stuck the ticket in the mirror housing.

-$75
Old 08-09-2015, 11:08 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Uh oh. You are gonna get flamed. I mentioned the same thing and everyone started a bonfire and told me I was wrong and must never drive.

Lived in CA my whole life. Drive about 25k a year all over from The Mexican border up to Mammoth and in my 30 yrs of driving have never had on a front plate and have never received a ticket.

All these honked up front plates suck. The Porsche just doesn't look good and doesn't have a nose for front plates.

Like someone else said, it's like putting a clown nose on a super model.
No flames...we all have the right to choose to run a front plate or not. I chose not to for many years then had 3 pull-overs in 6 months - just a warning in Texas but I don't like the probable cause invitation that comes with no front plate.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:28 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Power Play
I live in a state that requires front plates but simply can't bring myself to comply. I've purchased one to the brackets that secures to the tow hook site but still can't pull the trigger. I'm feeling like I'd rather plead for forgiveness.

Thoughts?

Vinyl sticker printed by fellow who applies Clearbra. My compromise - ok to date

Last edited by hillsdonsmith; 08-27-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadsby
In Illinois especially Chicago you will get a ticket when you park anywhere, I even got tickets multiple times a week parked at O'hare even when pulling up close to a wall! 2 tickets a week became the norm!

On a side note everytime I got pulled over for speeding for 5 years they just gave me a no front plate ticket!!

Put a toe hook front plate bracket on my 5 series 4 years ago. Perfect solution!
I love Chicago and O'Hare...I am at O'Hare once/multiple times every single week for many years but always Limo it. Only parked there 4 times this year and been ticketed 50% of the time. This AM: $60 for no front plate...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Front plate on your car?