Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer says "rear tires are scalloped"?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 9LVN_TT
Not sure? They specifically called it scalloping. They even had me feel the inner tire wall and it did feel like there were little bumps, but I could barely feel it.

Given the diagnosis from the dealer, would this not affect the tire pressure? I check it often and it is always bang on - my TPMS sensors are brand new.
Some tire brands wear differently than others, and/or become noisier than others as they wear. It will not effect tire pressure. If it were me, I would live with the noise until the current tires are worn, then would do a complete alignment along with a new set of tires. An alignment will usually reveal worn suspension components, which should be replaced as needed. Also, I have never had to replace any OEM Porsche struts/shocks with less than 100k miles on them, even with lowering springs installed.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Scalloped is Canadian for cupped, eh!
Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Scalloped is Canadian for cupped, eh!
Takeoff you hoser!!!!

Old 06-28-2014, 01:37 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

worn shocks.
http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php...1&d=1245643553

seen it before. only other way to do this is, stupid understeer on track. i did it once on my s13.

lexus cpo covers the shock only if it is leaking. i wonder if porsche cpo is the same... got to read fine print. lexus pretty much cpo anything that spit out grease. if they can see grease it was covered

scalloping is the edge tire wear with bumps. when i first saw it i thought it was a toe issue until i felt the bumps were not just inner tire wear. check out that pic i linked.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Had the Turbo in at my local Pcar dealer today to check out a loud, annoying sound coming from the rear driver side. I assumed my wheel bearing was done however, they called me today and said that my rear tires were "scalloped". I had no idea what the service tech was talking about so I had him show me when I went to pick up the car a few hrs ago. He told me that the inner portion of my tire had developed some bumps which was causing the noise. I have Pirelli Rossa tires in OEM sizing and the tech said this is common with this particular tire - I'm sceptical.

Has anyone ever heard of or, experienced this "scalloped" diagnosis of the tires? First I ever hear of this terminology.
Yes, I've heard of it, heard it with my 03 Turbo.

On a road trip the car got noisy to the point I thought a wheel bearing was going out. Turned around and drove 140 miles to OKC Porsche dealer. (The nearest dealer who could fit me in on short notice.) The car was checked out and the wheel bearings were fine.

The diagnosis was alignment, specifically front wheel alignment. The tech had me feel the tire treads and I could feel the feathering and the beginnings of scalloping or cupping wear.

I wanted to get the car aligned there and then for I had a 2K mile drive back home facing me but the tech said it wasn't bad and it could wait. He was right but as soon as I got back home I booked the car in for an alignment and afterwards, after the tires wore in a bit, the noise was gone.

What happened to my car was late one night on the road trip I pulled too far into a hotel parking lot and both front tires contacted the edge of a low sidewalk. Not very hard at all but enough to I suspect upset the front toe.

In your car's case I suspect alignment before I suspect the shocks.

Cheaper to get a proper alignment -- get a printout of before and after numbers! -- and then drive the car a while to see if the noise doesn't diminish as the tires wear in with the new (and better) alignment.

If the alignment doesn't help then you can think about doing the shocks.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:41 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CT944
Some tire brands wear differently than others, and/or become noisier than others as they wear. It will not effect tire pressure. If it were me, I would live with the noise until the current tires are worn, then would do a complete alignment along with a new set of tires. An alignment will usually reveal worn suspension components, which should be replaced as needed. Also, I have never had to replace any OEM Porsche struts/shocks with less than 100k miles on them, even with lowering springs installed.
Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I suspect cupping = scalloped, but flat spot looks like the name implies.

I have seen both, but could not tell you the suspension problem that is causing each.

I have flat spotted a front 993 tire with a panic stop and ABS invoked to the max.
Originally Posted by sidwin
worn shocks.
http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php...1&d=1245643553

seen it before. only other way to do this is, stupid understeer on track. i did it once on my s13.

lexus cpo covers the shock only if it is leaking. i wonder if porsche cpo is the same... got to read fine print. lexus pretty much cpo anything that spit out grease. if they can see grease it was covered

scalloping is the edge tire wear with bumps. when i first saw it i thought it was a toe issue until i felt the bumps were not just inner tire wear. check out that pic i linked.
Originally Posted by Macster
Yes, I've heard of it, heard it with my 03 Turbo.

On a road trip the car got noisy to the point I thought a wheel bearing was going out. Turned around and drove 140 miles to OKC Porsche dealer. (The nearest dealer who could fit me in on short notice.) The car was checked out and the wheel bearings were fine.

The diagnosis was alignment, specifically front wheel alignment. The tech had me feel the tire treads and I could feel the feathering and the beginnings of scalloping or cupping wear.

I wanted to get the car aligned there and then for I had a 2K mile drive back home facing me but the tech said it wasn't bad and it could wait. He was right but as soon as I got back home I booked the car in for an alignment and afterwards, after the tires wore in a bit, the noise was gone.

What happened to my car was late one night on the road trip I pulled too far into a hotel parking lot and both front tires contacted the edge of a low sidewalk. Not very hard at all but enough to I suspect upset the front toe.

In your car's case I suspect alignment before I suspect the shocks.

Cheaper to get a proper alignment -- get a printout of before and after numbers! -- and then drive the car a while to see if the noise doesn't diminish as the tires wear in with the new (and better) alignment.

If the alignment doesn't help then you can think about doing the shocks.
All great info.....thank you!
Old 06-29-2014, 05:19 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Highly doubt oem shocks would ever go out on a 997. Alignment check for sure.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OP here is a list of culprits, unsure of the mileage of your car or suspension but worn suspension components or just faulty tires seem to be the biggest culprit

http://www.ehow.com/info_12015699_ca...tire-wear.html

Bad Components
Oftentimes scalloped tire wear comes from a number of factors working together. The greatest culprit, though, is a weak suspension system. Compromised suspension components could include bad struts and loose ball joints, wheel bearings, shock absorbers, springs or bushings -- really any part that helps connect the wheel to the car. Additional factors include underinflated or out-of-balance tires or improper wheel alignment. When these factors combine and become serious enough, you'll likely get scalloped tires.

Bad Tires
Poorly made tires are susceptible to this condition. Even tire manufacturers who have good reputations make lower quality tires that are more prone to abnormal wear, such as scalloping. So while loose suspension components set the stage for scalloping, cheap tires expedite the process. Unfortunately, the tires that come standard on new vehicles tend to be in the cheaper category, so consider upgrading to better tires to prevent tire scalloping.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_12015699_ca...tire-wear.html
Old 06-30-2014, 01:57 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Highly doubt oem shocks would ever go out on a 997. Alignment check for sure.
Having that done next Tuesday. Getting the H&R springs and spacers put on then...alignment to follow immediately after install.

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
OP here is a list of culprits, unsure of the mileage of your car or suspension but worn suspension components or just faulty tires seem to be the biggest culprit

http://www.ehow.com/info_12015699_ca...tire-wear.html
Thanks for this
Old 06-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^I have kept my '07TT stock for 7 years...the 991TT does absolutely nothing for me so I will keep mine but will spice it up... I will go with H&R as well. Is there only one spring spec? (Height and rate?)
Old 06-30-2014, 03:25 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by Igooz
^I have kept my '07TT stock for 7 years...the 991TT does absolutely nothing for me so I will keep mine but will spice it up... I will go with H&R as well. Is there only one spring spec? (Height and rate?)
My understanding is that there is only the one offering however, Champion Motorpsorts has a version they sell that are spec'd out for them by H&R. I believe they are white and have the "Champion" logo on the actual springs along with the H&R logo as well.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 PM
kchu221
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that there is only the one offering however, Champion Motorpsorts has a version they sell that are spec'd out for them by H&R. I believe they are white and have the "Champion" logo on the actual springs along with the H&R logo as well.
Champion told me that it is the same spec as the regular H&R springs... its just that the springs that champion sells has champions logo on there...
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by kchu221
Champion told me that it is the same spec as the regular H&R springs... its just that the springs that champion sells has champions logo on there...
Interesting....I thought I read somewhere that they were a tad diff...guess I read wrong. Thanks for correcting.

I find it odd though that a company would want to simply change the colour and slap their logo on another company's springs?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^thank you...
Old 07-01-2014, 02:06 PM
kchu221
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting....I thought I read somewhere that they were a tad diff...guess I read wrong. Thanks for correcting.

I find it odd though that a company would want to simply change the colour and slap their logo on another company's springs?
haha yea and charge almost 200 more...

Quick Reply: Dealer says "rear tires are scalloped"?!