Sponsored by:

Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:19 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy0348

Has anyone seen any official test results comparing the stopping power of steel brakes vs. ceramics? My own experience is that ceramics have more initial bite which gives the impression that they stop sooner, but I have not noticed any difference in braking distance. Porsche’s sales literature does not claim shorter braking distance as a benefit of PCCB which leads me to conclude that it doesn’t exist. Otherwise, I think they would be sure to mention it.
So you've done an official comparison test yet you ask the question? I call BS….once again.

Frankly, if anyone can't notice the superiority of the ceramics vs the steels in terms of sheer stopping power and immediacy of initial bite then maybe they are simply ham fisted/unable to detect obvious sensation or determine any differences with anything….acceleration included.

After driving a well sorted TT with steels for 5 years, (with full synthetic racing fluid) which also sharpens the pedal, optimising the brakes etc, and then jumping into a TTS with the ceramics the differences were so profound I would again have to say if the superior stopping performance can't be felt then maybe the person should ask themselves the hard question what they are even doing in this type of car period.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:18 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could not agree more. A similar phenomenon persists in high end audio. There are those who believe all amplifiers, cables, CD players etc sound the same. I pity them and envy them at the same time. The former since they are missing out on experiencing an elevated level of musical enjoyment. The latter since they save a ton of money on not needing
expensive components and do not have the desire to upgrade since it offers no tangible benefit.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:46 PM
speed21
Banned

Makes sense. Maybe OP would be better off in a Prius then. Cheaper to run, has plenty of nannies and has that "toyota" reliability "feeling". Power and brakes are no issue....

Batteries might be, so maybe scrap that idea. I can only imagine all the sobbing and blogging if the batteries crapped themselves and toyota said go jump...
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy0348

Has anyone seen any official test results comparing the stopping power of steel brakes vs. ceramics? My own experience is that ceramics have more initial bite which gives the impression that they stop sooner, but I have not noticed any difference in braking distance. Porsche’s sales literature does not claim shorter braking distance as a benefit of PCCB which leads me to conclude that it doesn’t exist. Otherwise, I think they would be sure to mention it.
Here's a quote from a test Car & Driver did in 2008, using one Carrera S with PCCB, and one without. Both were 2009 models with identical tires stopping from 100 mph:
The average stopping distances of the two 911s were within a foot of each other (305 feet), not surprising since both cars were wearing the same tires. The conclusion: PCCB buyers enjoy a 37-pound weight savings but not necessarily more robust brakes.
Results obviously may be different on a Turbo than a Carrera S.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Rogor
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Laws of psychics say:
- If the steal disk breakes are good enough:
- The PCCB can't be better.
Because in the end its the tyre (brand, softness, pressure, et cetera) and surface of the road which dictates the amount of grip and so the stopping distance.
Only when breaking several times after another, the steel brake give up friction due to the heat, where the PCCB hold on and are capable to withstand even more heat.

Putting this theorie to the max you can say the PCCB 997 has a shorter braking distance because its lighter. But then again, because it's lighter it has also less weight to push the tyres on the road. bla bla bla..
Old 04-30-2014, 06:45 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

No posts that I've seen claim that PCCB's have a shorter stopping distance that steel brakes. Owners do correctly note that PCCB's have noticeable advantages in brake feel and a lack of bake dust but most importantly reduced unsprung weight. If you have ever driven cars back to back with simply a change in unsprung weight the difference is dramatic and surprising.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by 550bryan
If you have ever driven cars back to back with simply a change in unsprung weight the difference is dramatic and surprising.
Drove my Son's steel brakes '07 TT and my PCCB TT back to back. Concur.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 PM
speed21
Banned

It has been well stated (even by the manufacturer) that the performance of PCCB is distinctly superior than the steels due to a number of factors. Those with track experience would know that PCCB running costs are higher than steels needless to say there have been so many reports on that on the forums.

I have personally found the feel and general performance of the car with the PCCB brake to be noticeably enhanced in a number of positive ways, and these differences are easily discernible (or should be) to any driver who has used both. The only downside to PCCB would be the running costs (in comparison to the steels with track usage), along with the steels having an easier predictability on the initial take up when heel toeing or trail braking. That said, if the car is PDK that is not so much an issue, not that it can't be overcome through practice where the car is a manual either.

There is no question in my mind that the initial bite of the PCCB rips more of the speed off initially over the steels even if the steels can reel in the differences during each braking exercise making the stopping distance much the same. Just my opinion and findings after using the two.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My tts had pccbs, they are awesome but the replacement costs spooked me, ESP w track use, guilty.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:03 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
My tts had pccbs, they are awesome but the replacement costs spooked me, ESP w track use, guilty.
Guilty a$ "charged" more like it. I must admit I am tempted to track this thing but when you know the cost just as an option is like 20K (here) you just know the outcome may not be all to happy if you wear them out before their time. So you need to be prepared for that financially without reaching for the tissues or the internet (blogging) if things go pear shaped along the way.

I think a few days on the track here and there shouldn't be so much of an issue so long as you are driving sensibly/properly or, with the PSM off, which you should be doing anyway if you can drive the car at the speeds you want to push it at.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams

Drove my Son's steel brakes '07 TT and my PCCB TT back to back. Concur.
+1...just a few years ago I had 3 pcars with PCCB and wifey had/still has BigReds. At the end of a track day they let people do parade laps and she did a couple of "spirited" parade laps and she walked away commenting on the huge difference. I feel the same way but my opinions are biased...

I am not pimping PCCB...they are too expensive IMHO...pcar tax is BS...
Old 04-30-2014, 10:42 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PCCBs are great for street use and that's it.

Set your car up with nice 2 pc true floating rotors race fluid and pads to experience real stopping power.

Would I order my next Pcar with PCCBs? Hell yes
Old 04-30-2014, 11:15 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Igooz
+1...just a few years ago I had 3 pcars with PCCB and wifey had/still has BigReds. At the end of a track day they let people do parade laps and she did a couple of "spirited" parade laps and she walked away commenting on the huge difference. I feel the same way but my opinions are biased...
Funny you say that Igooz because from my own track experiences in a PCCB car a couple of years back I also left with the clear impression the PCCB brakes were stopping way way better than my steels were, so I am surprised there is a report that exists showing there is stuff all between the two in terms of actual stopping distances.

That said (if) that report is 100% Kosher then as I said before maybe the steels catch up the losses somewhere along the line during the overall braking exercise. Hard to imagine but I will give the benefit of the doubt at this stage until an actual test can be produced to show it...or, otherwise.

Either way, whether the stopping distances are indeed much the same (which is hard to imagine to be honest) then I would still spec with PCCB just for the "illusion" factor (lol) that they are stopping heaps better. I'm now finding I need to be very careful on the initial application of these PCCB's as they bite and stop so incredibly well it feels if i'm not careful I could throw myself through the God dammed windscreen or lose my eyeballs! They are THAT good! The steels on the other hand, whilst adequate, were always an exercise in how much pressure your foot needed to apply so to gather adequate bite, as sometimes it feels like you need to put your foot through the floor boards to shave off enough speed in time.

No such problem with the PCCBS. Phenomenal stopping power!!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

^plus there is something cool about "ceramic" brakes...I run Kinmont brakes on my HotRods and Cerriani on the old motorcycles...
Old 04-30-2014, 11:30 PM
speed21
Banned

^ yes true the cool factor is there. I have to say having no brake dust is also a very refreshing change just with that (insignificant....well not really....should say very significant) benefit. It needs to be experienced to be appreciated. I washed the car for the first time the other day and there was F all there. Incredible. I wonder where it is all going... my steels would have sent the wheels black black by then.

Quick Reply: Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes