Sponsored by:

Blacked Out Tails

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blacked Out Tails

Now that I have missed my car for the past six months and finally having some semblance of spring I am ready to enjoy it again.
Having been inspired by some recent posts and pics I have been inspired to black out my tailpipe tips. I was never really fond of the chrome finish and found that it was very difficult to keep clean. Besides, I really think that there is a minimal need for chrome on these cars. I am very pleased with the results.
Attached Images    
Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 AM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good....I personally prefer the chrome finish.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:26 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Originally Posted by Goldstar
Now that I have missed my car for the past six months and finally having some semblance of spring I am ready to enjoy it again.
Having been inspired by some recent posts and pics I have been inspired to black out my tailpipe tips. I was never really fond of the chrome finish and found that it was very difficult to keep clean. Besides, I really think that there is a minimal need for chrome on these cars. I am very pleased with the results.
Looks great! +1 on difficult to keep chrome clean. How did you do it?
Old 04-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Goldstar
Racer

Originally Posted by JayinToronto
Looks great! +1 on difficult to keep chrome clean. How did you do it?
I found the info on the forums Jay,

Undo flange - use 13mm socket, one bolt per side, remove bolts which are accessible from the bottom on the outside part of each flange.
Mine were fairly tight, I used a pipe for leverage over the socket handle, also spray some WD40 just to loosen them up.

Remove Tips - this took a bit of twisting, turning and tugging. I also sprayed WD40 in the crevice where tips fit over exhaust pipe for ease of removal.

Sand Chrome Tips - used 1200 grit to start and then followed with 200 grit. Anything close will work just as well (wear rubber gloves). Also sand inside the round end where will fit over the tailpipe.
Once well sanded I sprayed them down with degreaser, this is basically an alcohol based spray available at Canadian Tire or any auto parts store. Let dry for about 10 minutes.

Paint Tips - tape off the threaded end where the bolt will go back to tighten to exhaust pipe. Also tape inside the round end where will fit over the exhaust pipe, this will make fitment back on easier as the tolerances are very tight.
Use a High Temperature paint such as muffler or header paint. I used a flat black from Canadian Tire.
Just follow instructions and put on 4-5 coats over about 2 hour period.
Paint may need to be cured (as per instructions), I baked the ends in the oven at 200F for 1 hour next day.

Reassemble - thread the bolts back on each flange a couple of turns just to hold the bolt in place. Slide ends back on to tailpipe, I sprayed some WD40 on the pipes just to ease fit (its a tight fit). Hand tighten the bolts from below the car. Once hand tight, use 13mm socket to firm up.

Take Photos and Post!

It is really quite a simple and intuitive process, other than painting / curing time, the whole re/re process takes about half to an hour. I found it to be a fun little challenge and I'm really happy with the result.

Best of luck.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:28 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Thanks! I'll post a pic when done.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:24 AM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Goldstar" great thread and I am thinking about doing the same thing, however, it has been 7 months now since you painted your tips...how have they held up? Do they still look good? Thanks and beautiful TT...I like the whole white/black theme...it works...
Old 11-24-2014, 12:41 AM
TCS 911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also grew tired of cleaning my exhaust tips. I had them ceramic coated satin black. Same process used for exhaust headers. Two years later no issues. Car is driven daily year round.

Quick Reply: Blacked Out Tails