Sponsored by:

When to change spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Default When to change spark plugs

I had a Softronic tune done to my car in 2012 and I have never had an issue. She drives like a champ. No CEL's. At the time I had the tune done I also changed my spark plugs to the cooler Denso IKH-22's. I put about 4000 miles a year on my car. The last time I changed my plugs was at the 9500 mile mark. The car has approximately 17,000 miles on her at this time. When is a good time to change the plugs again? Would the 20,000 mile mark be the time? I only ask because Spring is finally coming and I'm taking my car in for its 4 year service, oil change etc. I didn't know if the cooler plugs have the same life span as the OEM plugs. The only thing I hate about changing the plugs is that the labor is so much and you have to practically take off the entire back end to get to them.

Jay
Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 194 Posts

Porsche recommends spark plug replacement every 30K miles. I don't see a reason to change them more often.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:32 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
I had a Softronic tune done to my car in 2012 and I have never had an issue. She drives like a champ. No CEL's. At the time I had the tune done I also changed my spark plugs to the cooler Denso IKH-22's. I put about 4000 miles a year on my car. The last time I changed my plugs was at the 9500 mile mark. The car has approximately 17,000 miles on her at this time. When is a good time to change the plugs again? Would the 20,000 mile mark be the time? I only ask because Spring is finally coming and I'm taking my car in for its 4 year service, oil change etc. I didn't know if the cooler plugs have the same life span as the OEM plugs. The only thing I hate about changing the plugs is that the labor is so much and you have to practically take off the entire back end to get to them.

Jay
Only difference here is that I found with a tune, it seems to kill the plugs faser, especially if you do not have them gapped down to .025. I would say when you start getting a slight hesitation/sputter/miss around 4-5K RPM..Time to change them. Mine lasted about 11K from brand new , with a tune....then missing occurred. Changed the plugs and coils and runs like a champ!

I noticed the last time (the dealer changed them) the gap was almost double ~.048...may have shortened life also. Running Denso Iridium IK22 as suggested by Scott...

Good luck,
DC
Old 04-02-2014, 11:44 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by therock88
Only difference here is that I found with a tune, it seems to kill the plugs faser, especially if you do not have them gapped down to .025. I would say when you start getting a slight hesitation/sputter/miss around 4-5K RPM..Time to change them. Mine lasted about 11K from brand new , with a tune....then missing occurred. Changed the plugs and coils and runs like a champ!

I noticed the last time (the dealer changed them) the gap was almost double ~.048...may have shortened life also. Running Denso Iridium IK22 as suggested by Scott...

Good luck,
DC
Thanks for the information. I have never had my coils replaced. Is that a necessary service as well with the miles that I have at around 17,000?

Jay
Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 AM
steve k ny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have a tune, you should change plugs every 12k miles (just like the factory recomends for the gt2). if youre one of those people that idle their cars until they warm up, you should change it even sooner.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 AM
Sobrut911
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

According to maintenance manual Porsche recommends replacing plugs at 60,000 miles or every 4 years.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 269 Posts

There is also an issue of eventual seizing (at least getting pretty tough to pull out...) of spark plugs in the aluminum heads after many many years of thermal cycle and corrosion. So I am guessing 4-5 years is not a bad idea...
Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Thanks for the information. I have never had my coils replaced. Is that a necessary service as well with the miles that I have at around 17,000?

Jay
I would say you do not "need" coil packs only after 17K. If you are going through the hassle of removing the plugs (which is difficult), for a little more money (cost of coil packs)..you can replace them too. Again..Likely not needed with 17K, but if you pay to get the plugs changed, the labor is around $800 - 1000, and the coils have to be removed anyway, so no additional labor, just the cost of the coils. BOSCH part number is 0 986 221 016, or BERU (porsche number) - 997 602 102 00 ( or the BERU number - 0 040 100 021).

Also...on what the manual says (60K)....that does not apply when running a tune and other mods. I do not think anyone has ever gotten 60K on the plugs with a modded/tuned car? I could be wrong, but would be damned impressed if they did

If you are good with Google, you can find the whole set for under $300.

DC

Last edited by therock88; 04-03-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:21 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
There is also an issue of eventual seizing (at least getting pretty tough to pull out...) of spark plugs in the aluminum heads after many many years of thermal cycle and corrosion. So I am guessing 4-5 years is not a bad idea...
It takes decades to arrive at that point. A 10 year old 20.000 mile car will never ever have problems with seized plugs. At least if you do not park it in water
Old 04-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
It takes decades to arrive at that point. A 10 year old 20.000 mile car will never ever have problems with seized plugs. At least if you do not park it in water
If you wash the car the engine I suspect gets wet. My 996 Turbo engine gets wet from washing even though I'm careful to not flood the engine compartment cover and the engine gets wet when the car sits out in the rain.

In the latter case wet enough on two occasions to misfire.

Whether from washing or being out in the rain the engine gets wet enough the belt slips until the engine runs from anywhere from a few seconds to nearly 30 seconds until the belt/pulleys dry enough the belt is able to spin the alternator.

Even if you do not wash the car and do not leave it in the rain, moisture at the plug/head thread interface doesn't have to come from the outside. Combustion produces moisture and the pressure can force the combustion gases up between the threads of the plug and head where corrosion will occur. Upon removing plugs often the threads nearest the chamber are discolored and showing signs of corrosion while the threads further away are almost new looking.

It is risky and false economy to forego periodic and timely changing of the plugs.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:41 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the information guys. From the looks of it I will probably change the plugs again and coils at the 20,000 mile check. Bringing her in soon for the 4 year check including oil, filter, and new steering wheel coming from DCT motorsports. I'll post a pic after install.

Jay
Old 04-04-2014, 06:25 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
It is risky and false economy to forego periodic and timely changing of the plugs.
You think what you like of course. Porsche says every 4 years so it is fine if you want to follow that rule.
I have experience working on old engines left in the open, left sitting in a car for decades. Alloy Alfa engines with sparks on top , so water stays in the holes, etc.
Plugs of our cars do not see water from the outside as they are well protected in the sides of the head. And more importantly , water evaporates before it reaches that threaded part of the plug form the outside.
Combustion moisture will eventualy take its toll but as I said , not after such a short time. It'll take much longer.
The heat cycles is what makes them seize eventualy and that comes from mileage. Not age.
Daily very short commutes takes of course a different approach as it greatly increases wear on everything.

Quick Reply: When to change spark plugs