Sponsored by:

997.2TT - Track Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:00 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by modified
Congrats on the car. I'd suggest BBS, Forgeline, and HRE as the ones you should consider. CCW and Finspeed make pretty good looking wheels for a great price. Realize that track wheels are going to take a beating structurally and cosmetically.
I've just recently started tracking my car and have seen all those mentioned above. Never saw a set of ADV.1 running on the track yet. They do look damn good on the street though.
It's funny where an initial thought goes once you start doing the research and getting input from this forum. I posted a similar thread in the race/DE section. I'm still strongly considering a set of ADV1s for my crusing around summer set, I do love how they look. Definitely not tracking them. I think my OEM wheels are going to become my winters as they took a bit of a beat down with all the ice, salt and potholes this winter.

I'm still undecided on track wheels. I've posted in the classifieds, though the centre lock seems to be a bit of a limiter. Now trying to decide 19 vs 18 and looking for the best weight/performance. I really appreciate peoples honesty in this forum and am feeling much more informed.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ I really like the look of ADV wheels but before you drop big money on ADV wheels take a look at the BC Racing (BC Forged) line of wheels. Two piece, forged aluminum set and they are affordable. I just feel that ADV is overpriced and if you go with their 3-piece wheels they are very heavy

GL
Art
Old 03-04-2014, 12:54 AM
JayinToronto
Racer

Originally Posted by Finspeed
You might want to talk to a few forum members that seriously track their cars before spending money on a "track spec" wheel. I would recommend going over to the 997 GT2/GT3 forum and post your initial post to get some experienced feedback from someone other than a dealer who may be looking at margins before the proper part for the application. There are a few great wheel companies mentioned in this thread, at the very least I would recommend choosing a wheel that has been proven on the track.

Finspeed F11-CL Ultralight Pro:

Finspeed F14-RT:

Points taken. Definitely still in the investigation phase of things. Thanks for your input. What would be your suggestion of the ideal wheel for me from your company?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JayinToronto
Points taken. Definitely still in the investigation phase of things. Thanks for your input. What would be your suggestion of the ideal wheel for me from your company?
For track use, any of our models...although the F5 is more suitable for straight line stuff. The F10, F11, F14, F15 and F18 are all engineered for serious (pro level) track use. My personal favorites are the F11, F14 and F15.
Give me a call if you have any questions, 660 263 0505.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Forgeline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to throw our hat in to the ring. Check out either or new GT1 which is based on our GTD1 we make for the Rolex GTD cars or our very popular GA1R. Both are just as at home on the track as they are on the street.

GT1

GTD1

GA1R

President
Forgeline Motorsports
3522 Kettering Blvd.
Dayton, Ohio 45439

http://www.forgeline.com

Facebook Post
Old 03-05-2014, 08:41 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

[QUOTE=Forgeline;11189023]Just to throw our hat in to the ring. Check out either or new GT1 which is based on our GTD1 we make for the Rolex GTD cars or our very popular GA1R. Both are just as at home on the track as they are on the street.

Thanks for the post! What are the weights of those 2 models? I couldn't find that info on your website.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Forgeline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=JayinToronto;11189167]
Originally Posted by Forgeline
Just to throw our hat in to the ring. Check out either or new GT1 which is based on our GTD1 we make for the Rolex GTD cars or our very popular GA1R. Both are just as at home on the track as they are on the street.

Thanks for the post! What are the weights of those 2 models? I couldn't find that info on your website.
GT1- 19x9 - 18 lbs
19x12 - 21 lbs

GA1R 19x9 - 19.5
19x12 - 22.5
Old 03-16-2014, 02:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by HRE Wheels
Typically yes, lighter is better. We're assuming you're looking into 18" for this set? Load rating is important along with high marks on stress and fatigue tests (in our case, conducted by TUV).

All of our wheels are custom made-to-order with the center lock option available on nearly all of our designs.

Our 18" R-Series is a popular track option for most drivers (the R43 is pictured below) along with the Monoblok 19" P40SC-Series and our newest line, the Monoblok 19" Series P1. The one-piece or mono-block wheels will weigh less than the 3-piece designs (inner barrel, center forging and outer barrel).

If you have any questions, please let us know.
Those are nice HRE.

I have BBS, CCW and HRE for my RS

I currently have the HRE on my RS for track days.
I am in the market for TT in 5 lug just so I can reuse these HRE wheels.
Attached Images  

Last edited by tcsracing1; 03-16-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:18 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JayinToronto
I'm in the market for a second set of wheels for track use. Looking for performance while still looking great. My OEM are 19" centre lock.

Obviously quality costs money, but I don't want to get ripped off. The aftermarket company associated with my dealer has suggested HRE and AVD.1, in particular he likes the Track Spec SL from ADV.1. Just wanted to get some opinions. i've read some mixed reviews of old on both HRE and ADV.1 but both companies seem to have gotten themselves back on the right track as of late.

Just wanted some opinions from the forum regarding performance and value. I'm planning on running Michelin pilot sport cup tires.

-JS
997.2TT - MT. No Mods (as of yet
Take a sniff around the GT3/GT2 forum. Always 18" 997.2 track wheels kicking around in the used market.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:01 PM
JackRGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a 996 GT3 track rat who is looking to buy a 997 Turbo for a daily driver, so I have been spending some quality time in the Turbo forms.
I run a set of track tires on OZ's and feel they are a great value buy and I have had zero issues with them. It is a fairly popular track wheel. You see a lot of OZ's around the paddock.
If you are just starting and plan on going to PCA DE events I would suggest doing a couple of events with your street tires and wheels. Most PCA regions like to have beginning drivers start on street tires. This will also let you check out what other Turbo / 997 drivers are using.
If you have center locks, definitely spend some time with folks driving cars with center locks. You will need to invest in some additional hardware if you plan to seriously track a center lock car. I have also been told by some of my track friends that Porsche considers the center locks in a track situation, a wear item and they have recommended time interval for replacing the center locks.
Good luck, Eastern Canada has some great tracks.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:29 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't consider Adv1 to be track wheels at all. Pick up an extra set of oem wheels, best bet.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:46 PM
ADV.1 Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of our customers track their cars regularly. I'd suggest going with an R Serise style. An R Series wheel is engineered specifically to order based on intended use i.e., 1/4 mile drag racing, road course, etc. And it looks badass.

More information can be found here.
http://adv1wheels.com/features/rseries.php

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 PM
HRE Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Those are nice HRE.

I have BBS, CCW and HRE for my RS

I currently have the HRE on my RS for track days.
I am in the market for TT in 5 lug just so I can reuse these HRE wheels.
Very cool. The vast majority of our current line-up is track-friendly, including the S1 family:

Photography by AWOLPHOTO

Old 04-16-2014, 08:06 PM
turbo'ed
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Local set Jay...
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...pms-bolts.html
Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Originally Posted by turbo'ed
Thanks turbo'ed but unfortunately mine are centre lock.

Quick Reply: 997.2TT - Track Wheels