Sponsored by:

Road & Track Acceleration Data suggesting 997TTS outperforms 991TTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:50 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ljpviper
I agree, i dont like the 991 at all. My buddy bought a base Carrera back in late 12 when i had my 997 base carrera. I was expecting to be wowed, i was not. I drove off happily in my 997.

I hated the steering, dont like the interior and dont like the seating position. I think the 997 series is the best mend of old and new. My current 997 Turbo is a keeper!!!

And I thought I was the only one..
Old 02-22-2014, 12:57 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by GatorMD97
Coming from a daily driver standpoint I recently checked out a new 991TTS vs my 997TTS. I consider the 911TTS as the ultimate daily driver supercar (what an oxymoron). I can haul my kids and haul a$$ and I think they got it right with the 991. This is my first Porsche and in my opinion they seem a little behind the times with technological conveniences--I can't bluetooth music in my car without a glitchy $100 add on but a $20K Ford has been able to for years. If you are strictly speaking about performance I would never give up my 997 for a 991; however, for the few added daily driver features I can see myself upgrading in a couple of years after the 30-40% hit. The features I really liked are:

1. Adaptive Cruise Control (I like to take trips in my 997 and when I have my kids I'm not driving in a "spirited" manner).
2. Dual climate zones (my wife has Raynaud's and likes it hot while I like it cold)
3. Ventilated adaptive sport seats (only available on comfort seats for 997 which I hate because of the lack of upper bolsters)
4. A real digital display on the instrument cluster without that 1980's style calculator watch feel.
5. Bluetooth audio streaming!!!
6. Front and rear park assist (rear even has a camera)
7. Front spoiler that is a rubber material and deploys at speed. Seems very forgiving on those steep driveways and speed bumps.
8. Keyless entry and drive.

Forgive me for sounding like a corvette owner but I just wanted to point out what I feel are the features that take the 991 up a notch for those that want to daily drive a supercar.
I'm sorry but those additional features do not justify a 180 to 200k car..Like you mentioned, all of those things have been available on cars costing 30k for years.

So we should be astounded that Porsche finally added Bluetooth? Wow! That's definitely worth 10k right there!

Keyless entry? Again 5 to 7 years behind..

And dual climate control? Didn't Buick have that over 10 years ago?

If Porsche is going to screw me their going to have to take me to dinner first..
Old 02-22-2014, 02:26 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going from a 2012 to a 2014 Turbo S,I will tell you, for sure the 991 Turbo S is a much,much nicer car and just a bit faster than my 997 TS.The best quarter mile time I could get out of my(Real World) 997 TS was 10.8@ 127 and the 2014 TS will do 10.60s @128..Go on you tube or Drag Times.Com and check it out.On the round a round track the 991 TS is superior in every way..Yes,it a big nut,but it is worth it.By the way,the 991 TS has no turbo lag,it pulls insane all the time...
Old 02-22-2014, 03:29 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by 08viper1
Going from a 2012 to a 2014 Turbo S,I will tell you, for sure the 991 Turbo S is a much,much nicer car and just a bit faster than my 997 TS.The best quarter mile time I could get out of my(Real World) 997 TS was 10.8@ 127 and the 2014 TS will do 10.60s @128..Go on you tube or Drag Times.Com and check it out.On the round a round track the 991 TS is superior in every way..Yes,it a big nut,but it is worth it.By the way,the 991 TS has no turbo lag,it pulls insane all the time...
That's great to hear!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:41 PM
GatorMD97
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phillipj
I'm sorry but those additional features do not justify a 180 to 200k car..Like you mentioned, all of those things have been available on cars costing 30k for years.

So we should be astounded that Porsche finally added Bluetooth? Wow! That's definitely worth 10k right there!

Keyless entry? Again 5 to 7 years behind..

And dual climate control? Didn't Buick have that over 10 years ago?

If Porsche is going to screw me their going to have to take me to dinner first..
I never said the options justified the price; however, the performance combined with these options does justify the price in my opinion. My 2011 had a sticker of $178K without any of those options. What other car with these features and this performance can you go pick up off the lot and have serviced locally in most any decent sized city in the country? There isn't one. This car is the total package.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:58 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

phillipj

On your 991TTs brakes working OK and clicking sounds?

Ian
Old 02-23-2014, 03:18 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by flyjets
phillipj

On your 991TTs brakes working OK and clicking sounds?

Ian
I don.t understand Ian.. I unfortunately do not have a 991 TTS
Old 02-23-2014, 03:28 PM
phillipj
Drifting

I never said the options justified the price; however, the performance combined with these options does justify the price in my opinion. My 2011 had a sticker of $178K without any of those options. What other car with these features and this performance can you go pick up off the lot and have serviced locally in most any decent sized city in the country? There isn't one. This car is the total package.

Gator I'm sorry if it seemed like I was lashing out at you. That was not my intention.

I'm sorry but the new Turbo just does not turn me on (enough).. I agree with you views that there is no other car with that performance that can be a DD. If the 991 was dramatically different that the 997 I would be much more excited about it. But it's not.. I know it's faster ( just a hair) and has rear wheel steering and has finally added sorely missing electronics.. But that is not enough for me to justify the price.

Plus I really dislike the interior. It looks like every other Porsche in the line up.. There is nothing special about it.. But that is just my opinion and It doesn't mean that i'm right.. I think VW is destroying Porsche. But again just my opinion.

If you see in the near future "year end clearance" sales like MB and BMW have then the end is near.

I'm glad that you are enjoying your car.. Please post some pictures! We haven't seen one!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:51 PM
GatorMD97
Intermediate

Gator I'm sorry if it seemed like I was lashing out at you. That was not my intention.

I'm sorry but the new Turbo just does not turn me on (enough).. I agree with you views that there is no other car with that performance that can be a DD. If the 991 was dramatically different that the 997 I would be much more excited about it. But it's not.. I know it's faster ( just a hair) and has rear wheel steering and has finally added sorely missing electronics.. But that is not enough for me to justify the price.

Plus I really dislike the interior. It looks like every other Porsche in the line up.. There is nothing special about it.. But that is just my opinion and It doesn't mean that i'm right.. I think VW is destroying Porsche. But again just my opinion.

If you see in the near future "year end clearance" sales like MB and BMW have then the end is near.

I'm glad that you are enjoying your car.. Please post some pictures! We haven't seen one!
I don't have a 991TTS I have a 997TTS. I wouldn't buy one either at these prices, I was just pointing out that the 991TTS my local dealer just got seems to me like the perfect daily driver and has a lot of things I wish my car had. The price really isn't that far off from what mine was new (I bought it used with a few hundred miles on it for about 30% off sticker). I'd be willing to trade up once the 30-40% depreciation happens. Car prices in general have gotten ridiculous all around.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:09 PM
phillipj
Drifting

I don't have a 991TTS I have a 997TTS. I wouldn't buy one either at these prices, I was just pointing out that the 991TTS my local dealer just got seems to me like the perfect daily driver and has a lot of things I wish my car had. The price really isn't that far off from what mine was new (I bought it used with a few hundred miles on it for about 30% off sticker). I'd be willing to trade up once the 30-40% depreciation happens. Car prices in general have gotten ridiculous all around.

Gator I'm sorry! I thought you had one! Well then please post some pics of your TTS. All the best!
Old 02-23-2014, 05:16 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Again,if one can afford it,their is a huge difference between the 997 and 991 TS..I had my 997 TS for 2 years and never thought their could be anything better.However,after having a 14 for 3 months now,Porsche did make the car better on all ways.Does it justify the price yes,the only car that can bet me at the track are the McLarens(sometimes).I smoke everything else...

If you Bump Up,you will be happy,if not the 997 TS is also so Bad *** to...
Old 02-23-2014, 05:22 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Viper have you posted any pictures?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

I don.t understand Ian.. I unfortunately do not have a 991 TTS
Phillip, on the 991 PCCB there is an active campaign on rotors or hats or dust shields...I don't know which...and all the GT3's have to be parked or returned to the dealer due to engine oil(?) leak fire....

But no problem...my 1993 RSA went up in flame due to (factory, albeit never admitted) electrical wiring issue, and I went through the 6GT2 PCCB rotor delamination recall...so just NORMAL stuff in pcar ownership and history repeats itself.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:10 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Oh I see. Wow so the GT3 fires are because of an oil leak? Maybe some VW cost cutting measures? I have a real bad feeling about VW owning Porsche...

As far as my PCCB's go I have had no issues. Thank God! Would hate for $8k rotors to fail.

So your RS.. Did Porsche take responsibility? Or did you insurance cover it?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Insurance...the car was under 1 year old

Quick Reply: Road & Track Acceleration Data suggesting 997TTS outperforms 991TTS