Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member looking at 997 Turbos. Woohoo

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 01:11 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do so many want to talk on their phone while driving their 911's?
I really enjoy the fact that I can miss most phone calls while I'm enjoying my car. I can always call back and use my Bluetooth headset which works great if I need to chat.
Part of the joy is not being disrupted and listening to the car.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:04 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldstar
Why do so many want to talk on their phone while driving their 911's? I really enjoy the fact that I can miss most phone calls while I'm enjoying my car. I can always call back and use my Bluetooth headset which works great if I need to chat. Part of the joy is not being disrupted and listening to the car.
Agreed. I still today don't know how PCM works
Old 02-03-2014, 02:55 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Agree, I do not like talking on the phone when I am driving. But I do like the bluetooth unit as I need to stay in touch if only to say I'll call you back. The same unit includes iPod connectivity and I do like that on long drives. Of course, all of this should be "standard" equipment but we all know that's not how Porsche rolls.

When I bought my TT new almost 5 years ago (after deciding not to order a paint to sample GT3 in signal red (same 356 color I plan to paint my 356 one of these years) (no back seats for kids, long wait), after long thought I decided to stick with black (like my 997S). Dealer had two (Black and Basalt), went with the Basalt Black one because it had adaptive seats, now I love Basalt. MT, ltd slip, short shifter, thicker steering wheel, a few convenience options like bluetooth, PCCB's - basically a "perfect config. Only mods so far exhaust and Rennsport motormounts, and FVD tune coming next week. I love this car!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldstar
Why do so many want to talk on their phone while driving their 911's?
I really enjoy the fact that I can miss most phone calls while I'm enjoying my car. I can always call back and use my Bluetooth headset which works great if I need to chat.
Part of the joy is not being disrupted and listening to the car.
If this is directed at me specifically, i pretty much never talk on the phone while im driving. I dont really care about bluetooth, unless its for music. I would like some kind of Ipod integration but Im ok even without that; which i dont have in my vette. I burn MP3 CDs and it works just fine for me.

It actually drives me crazy these days that society is to the point where its like... Step 1: Get in car, Step 2: Put on seatbelt, Step 3: Call Someone to talk cause i cant be alone. (Not necessarily in that order)
Old 02-03-2014, 10:20 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogi911
If this is directed at me specifically, i pretty much never talk on the phone while im driving. I dont really care about bluetooth, unless its for music. I would like some kind of Ipod integration but Im ok even without that; which i dont have in my vette. I burn MP3 CDs and it works just fine for me.

It actually drives me crazy these days that society is to the point where its like... Step 1: Get in car, Step 2: Put on seatbelt, Step 3: Call Someone to talk cause i cant be alone. (Not necessarily in that order)
I agree, just make the calls before leaving the house LOL......
so many people get in the car and start to call someone like you mentioned....
I don't even have a cell phone
Old 02-03-2014, 07:08 PM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

You should check out Chris's car ( TT Surgeon ) a puff with tasteful mods.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

The only music I like to hear in my car is the music from the twin turbos and exhaust. And as far as calls, I really don't need to talk while driving this car. Again, an outdated PCM should not keep you from getting into an otherwise great well taken care of 997......just my .002 cents
Old 02-04-2014, 01:11 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so we've established the PCM isnt a big deal. So what other benefits does an 09 have besides newer/last mezger over 07-08. I read switch "feel" was better like 09 build quality was nicer?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:47 AM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I have an 09, and I don't really care about the bluetooth or the touch screen nav, the one feature that started in 09 that I do appreciate is the XM radio. Regardless, the car isn't about the entertainment that comes from the PCM, it's the music that emanates from the heart of the beast.....

Quick Reply: New member looking at 997 Turbos. Woohoo