Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Ramps and Lift Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:53 PM
EDEZ TT
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the information on the various lifts! The unveiling for the garage drawing is scheduled for Friday and I asked the architect to consider a car lift or bay to perform DIY jobs.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EDEZ TT
Thank you for the information on the various lifts! The unveiling for the garage drawing is scheduled for Friday and I asked the architect to consider a car lift or bay to perform DIY jobs.
That is great! Sounds exciting....

DC
Old 01-19-2014, 06:14 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
crap that's nice!!!
Originally Posted by Igooz
JackOlsen, wow!! What a nice shop. It looks like the engineering lab at some German companies.
Thank you. The shop was put together with second-hand industrial cabinets and some unconventional repurposing. The budget, including flooring, workbenches, cabinets and the lift, was under $3,500. But then, there was a whole lot of (my) labor that went into it. I did everything myself.

Originally Posted by therock88
JackOlsen..>Sweet setup! How do you swing the lift arms etc?
There are none. When I use it for my other cars, I use placemment blocks. But the belly pan of an early 911 is just flat sheet metal. There isn't anything to damage where the lift comes in contact with the car. I can service the full drivetrain and all of the suspension when the car is up on this lift. And lifting it up is as simple as pushing a button. As long as the car is parked in its space, it's ready to raise.

The top of the thing is tiled, just like the rest of the floor. It comes up to the same height as all the other benches in the shop.

Every part of the car is serviceable from it.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

^nice work! Your shop motivates me to get myself organized...

OT: By the way I love your 72!!! beautiful! I have seen that car before. I also have a black 72S (2.7, dual plugged, 6XWeber, ..., Giken, and cage...Koni, Elephant, narrow body on hohos...). I will post some photos on the other forum as soon as I start prettying her up. My car has straight pipes right now thinking about Dansk, what exhaust is that?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:01 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks! The exhaust on mine is an inexpensive Magnaflow muffler mated to the stock factory (short) headers from a 993 (my engine is a 1995 993 3.6).

The Magnaflow really sounds good, in my opinion. I used to have a Flowmaster, but it produced too much low-rev resonance. The Magnaflow is pretty civiilized sounding until you get up to 4K or so, then it has a nice wail to it.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:08 AM
sal91
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely Beautiful!
Old 03-23-2020, 10:13 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally started off with a Bendpak Midrise unit as my old garage was very narrow. The new garage allowed some extra space so picked up an Atlas BP unit. The current garage space use to be a Ford dealership from the 1920’s-1970’s which makes for a pretty cool hang out spot.

Most of the time I use the twin post unit if doing lots of work. However when doing any interior work or detailing the midrise kicks butt.

Never had an issue pulling drivetrains on the midrise and you can park on it without worrying about dinging a door getting in and out on a regular basis.

Of course when you generally have an open lift friends always seem to show up with beer to change their oil ect. Which does tend to pay for the lift

Always loved your garage Jack!!! Been a long time inspiration!
Old 03-23-2020, 11:11 AM
ECB
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Old thread bump from Covid-19 back to Ebola 2014. Wow, those last 2 setups above are awesome. Deckman, I'll be right over with your favorite beer.

I'm still low budget jackstands.

Attachment 1343300
Old 03-23-2020, 12:12 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Quick jack was an inexpensive upgrade from the jack stands I had been living with for the past 30+ years! But, hell yeah, Jack's setup & garage makes me drool. No matter how hard I try I don't think I will ever get to a clean finish like that. Bins & shelves though are a step up from stuff piled on the shelves.

Engine drop, oil change, winter wheels, brakes, etc. All much easier than jack up front, insert stands, jack up rear insert stands, then the reverse. I have been toying with the idea of ramps and the jack combined, but since everything from a UrS6 to the 911 goes on it, that may be a bridge too far.

Ed
Old 03-23-2020, 03:04 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ECB
Old thread bump from Covid-19 back to Ebola 2014. Wow, those last 2 setups above are awesome. Deckman, I'll be right over with your favorite beer.

I'm still low budget jackstands.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:52 PM
FirstStateCamber
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in the process of a DIY garage addition (24ft x 24ft) wife gets a big bathroom and closet up stairs. My other garage (left side) has a 4post for storage, and the new garage will get a 2post on the vaulted ceiling side, other side is a 10'2" flat ceiling. Can't wait to be done with it all and make use of the space!!! Both lifts are Atlas units from Greg Smith Equipment. Best of both worlds!

The following users liked this post:
TheDeckMan (03-24-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 10:34 PM
AtotheJZA70
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstStateCamber
I'm in the process of a DIY garage addition (24ft x 24ft) wife gets a big bathroom and closet up stairs. My other garage (left side) has a 4post for storage, and the new garage will get a 2post on the vaulted ceiling side, other side is a 10'2" flat ceiling. Can't wait to be done with it all and make use of the space!!! Both lifts are Atlas units from Greg Smith Equipment. Best of both worlds!

more pics of the Supra please. I don’t go on SF much anymore. But I’m more of a MKIII guy.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:27 AM
FirstStateCamber
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AtotheJZA70
more pics of the Supra please. I don’t go on SF much anymore. But I’m more of a MKIII guy.
Your Username is a dead MKIII give away, nice color choice on your 997!

93' TT 6spd, BC Forged, LE-10 wheels

The following users liked this post:
TheDeckMan (03-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Garage Ramps and Lift Pictures