Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water on passenger floor pan, need help finding the source.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:02 AM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Water on passenger floor pan, need help finding the source.

Hi Guys good morning, im in a little need of help here. Last time I left my car uncovered and raing really hard, I found a puddle of water on the floor of front passenger. It would only happen when it rains so no AC issues here. I took it to my mechanic, he blew cleaned out the sunroof and trunk compartment drains, and all common potential sources for water leaks into the cabin. Took it home rained again and I found water again. My mechanic told me he's puzzled by it and he believes most likely its coming from the windshield which is not OEM. The seal around the glass does indeed look poorly installed, and water may be running down the inside of the car right by where the right mirror is and into my floor pan, but I don't want to replace a windshield if maybe the culprit is something else. Any ideas? I am going to post some pics of my windshield so you guys may be able to tell me if that is what it is. As always your input is always appreciated.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 AM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Here's some pics of my windshield..
Attached Images    
Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mpiffaretti
Hi Guys good morning, im in a little need of help here. Last time I left my car uncovered and raing really hard, I found a puddle of water on the floor of front passenger. It would only happen when it rains so no AC issues here. I took it to my mechanic, he blew cleaned out the sunroof and trunk compartment drains, and all common potential sources for water leaks into the cabin. Took it home rained again and I found water again. My mechanic told me he's puzzled by it and he believes most likely its coming from the windshield which is not OEM. The seal around the glass does indeed look poorly installed, and water may be running down the inside of the car right by where the right mirror is and into my floor pan, but I don't want to replace a windshield if maybe the culprit is something else. Any ideas? I am going to post some pics of my windshield so you guys may be able to tell me if that is what it is. As always your input is always appreciated.
I think you've answered your own question - windshield seal isn't installed properly. You could confirm this by running a hose over the windshield and see if you get water on the floor again. Time to get someone out to re-do. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Tape the window/seal border with say clear packing tape to seal it then douse the car with water and see if any appears.

Then remove the tape and repeat the process.

Or save money on tape and water and have the windshield redone. By someone better than the person who did the previous windshield.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 938 Likes on 567 Posts

That is an awful WS job.

Had one done early due to rock and the dealer brought in a WS monkey. WS whistled even at low speeds, would have leaked like a sieve if it had rained.

To their credit, he did it again with a competent guy.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 284 Posts

WOW!!!! Did you go to Windshield Monkey?
Is this a real Porsche glass? I forget who makes them, Sekurit I think? Or it can be the thinner Chinese glass. Which means higher noise transfer, chips, ..., star chip --> crack, etc.

Your carpet and the dampner material underneath must be allowed to be fully dried up now or you will get mildew in your car...You have to air it out completely, etc. Google the topic as I am not an expert.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 284 Posts

By the way...that is a bonded (glued in) windshield so perhaps it was not glued properly? At the factory the adhesive is applied by a robot in a full continious way and then the windshield is robotically installed and pressure applied until cure! kind of cool to watch.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
By the way...that is a bonded (glued in) windshield so perhaps it was not glued properly? At the factory the adhesive is applied by a robot in a full continious way and then the windshield is robotically installed and pressure applied until cure! kind of cool to watch.
And according to my tour guide, it's the only robotic assembly process on the line.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:22 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Dear MPIFFARETTI! You might want to try some permatex clear flowable silicone sealant. Flows like water, therefore finding all the pinholes. It may take more than i application, but it worked well for me on other cars...about 5.00 at AutoZone and other car parts stores. Thanks, Tiger 03447
Old 02-03-2015, 09:12 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is not a good week or your car.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:54 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Go to west marine and buy some DampRid.

You may want to pull your seats and carpet for a proper dry.

Get another windsheild.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:44 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Agreed that windshield is a little rough looking, but there is one more area to check that's easy. Open the frunk, and remove the battery covers and look below. There is a drain hole in the bottom on both sides (look with a flashlight) of that firewall that can get stopped up with crud.

I had a leak in my 997tt when I first got it, and those were filled in mine (at 24k miles). That wasn't my culprit, but it has been in others with the 99X platform.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:27 PM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

thanks guys! but this is an old thread! the water issue has been fixed, it was a semi- clogged drain hole, so it would only overflow if it rained hard continuously, hence the intermittent problem. My car spends a lot of time on the road, so I expect little things like these to pop up with normal use. thanks for the input as always!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:00 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, check the two drain holes on either side of the battery tray. Over time crap will build up and plug them. After a few hard rains it will fill up and start looking for places to drain in to.

Quick Reply: Water on passenger floor pan, need help finding the source.