Sponsored by:

Older Ferrari/Lambo instead of Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 01:35 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
I agree, blue with tan/biege interior looks perfect. but I think the 1970s shade of brown / tan combo on that car in particular doesn't work period, regardless of exterior color. In any case it's all about an individual's personal taste, well until it comes time for resale
Agreed
Old 12-14-2013, 06:23 AM
Rogor
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went the other way around.
First I was only looking for a Ferrari (you have to own one someday.... or..) absolutely not a Porsche.
Driving Italian cars all my mobile life, I was even looking down on German cars and especially Porsche's (might be a second WW short circuit in the brain).
- Drove a 308 QV but the car felt to old.
- Drove a 335 from a official F dealership, but this cart smelled and the engine bay looked dirty and rusty. Didn't like the drive either.
Then went completely the other way: a 4 seater Ferrari 456M manual.
I liked the looks, the extra space (could bring my small kids with me) and the V12.
I test drived some very very bad ones and also some very good ones. Nearly bought a black/black one from Italy, but someone beat me.

Then my mechanic told me to try a Porsche 911, I thought he was joking.
But anyway a drove a 997 2S and immediately loved the building quality, the driving, the handling, the interior. Ok also the exterior. What I didn't like was the sound, the dull power build up. The car was quick but not spectacular.

Then I went back to the Ferrari dealer for a test drive in a Ferrari 456M with all the specs, colors... I was looking for. But when I drove it, the difference in quality of materials and driving toward the Porsche was to big to live with. Just felt like a too old car. The 612 is in my opinion euhhh... ugly.

In the end I walked away from the Ferrari dealer and a week later I bought a 997 TT.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogor
I went the other way around.
First I was only looking for a Ferrari (you have to own one someday.... or..) absolutely not a Porsche.
Driving Italian cars all my mobile life, I was even looking down on German cars and especially Porsche's (might be a second WW short circuit in the brain).
- Drove a 308 QV but the car felt to old.
- Drove a 335 from a official F dealership, but this cart smelled and the engine bay looked dirty and rusty. Didn't like the drive either.
Then went completely the other way: a 4 seater Ferrari 456M manual.
I liked the looks, the extra space (could bring my small kids with me) and the V12.
I test drived some very very bad ones and also some very good ones. Nearly bought a black/black one from Italy, but someone beat me.

Then my mechanic told me to try a Porsche 911, I thought he was joking.
But anyway a drove a 997 2S and immediately loved the building quality, the driving, the handling, the interior. Ok also the exterior. What I didn't like was the sound, the dull power build up. The car was quick but not spectacular.

Then I went back to the Ferrari dealer for a test drive in a Ferrari 456M with all the specs, colors... I was looking for. But when I drove it, the difference in quality of materials and driving toward the Porsche was to big to live with. Just felt like a too old car. The 612 is in my opinion euhhh... ugly.

In the end I walked away from the Ferrari dealer and a week later I bought a 997 TT.
I went through same! Really wanted a F355 or 360, still love the style. Took my wife to convince me to consider a Porsche. I never really saw them as an exotic that I'd love to drive. But she was right on and logically convinced me to look at Porsche. Strange how that happened, she is not a car person. I'm glad I saw her logic, best automotive decision ever for me.
Over the past year my buddies' service bills on older Ferrari's could have paid for another car. And everyone's proud they only dative them 500 miles a year. I put 12,000 km on the TT this summer - one oil service later. That's one strong mule of a car.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:50 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

I just went through this very dilemma "Great problems to have we should appreciate such issues"

For me the F430 with F1 transmission was fantastic until I looked at clutch life and costs of replacement. Then there the issue of who will maintain this Prancing Horse me. The F430 is really nice as is the 458 Italia but there weekend cars. I have owned several Ferrari and used to look down on German cars and Japanese until the time I got a $2,700 bill for just wanting a oil change. Right there in the Ferrari showroom I bought a NSX on the phone I was ripping. Never a problem with that vehicle other then tires.

The German car especially the Porsche are really engineering marvels if you want to drive an amazing little reliable car try the new Cayman S PDK Sport Chrono. It's there best feeling car my opinion. The 991 S is much more powerful but the Cayman has a natural balance that you have to experience.

The Turbo S is an amazing accelerating vehicle combine it with Sport Plus mode and it made me feel like a kid grinning ear to ear. They can be had for 2011 for 120K and 2012 128K these are CPO car pricing.

Bottom line the Porsche cars can be truly everyday drivers. But here is the problem I flew out on business left the Turbo at the airport covered up been worried about it since I left 5 days ago. Decided to buy a economy car to drive everyday and leave the Turbo for weekends. So maybe I should have bought the F430 after all decisions decisions.

Ian

Quick Reply: Older Ferrari/Lambo instead of Turbo S?