Sponsored by:

Older Ferrari/Lambo instead of Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
My bad Just realized we have a lambo owner here… In fairness, a lambo has AWD which the older ferraris do not which makes the lambo dare I say practical, but for a weekend (secondary car) rwd is all you will ever need. Some say the manual transmission ferraris are worth a look now that F1 tranny has taken over. 430 is mosty reliable with none of the old belt service crap. 360 I beleive still requires engine out belt service. But is first of the aluminum mono body era when comparing it to a an older F355. 550 is front engine V12 manual tranny. Classic ferrari configuration.
It's your personal opinion and you don't have to change it because I'm here.... We all have different taste... But I wouldn't say x car is a Lame only because I don't like it..

Lamborghini cars are great! And way more reliable than Ferrari....

Gallardos, Murcielagos & Aventadors are pretty much German technology with the Italian soul... and that my friend it's just as good as it gets...

Last edited by Leo997TT; 11-30-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:08 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

I went from 2008 997TT 6speed to 2006 F430 F1. Two completely different animals. The Porsche is a better built car, easier to drive fast, better build quality, and even with 60k+ miles on my 08 Turbo, it was solid and relatively trouble free. I looked into the Gallardo and was disappointed in the seating position, visibility and the feel of their e-gear transmission. When I drove the Ferrari 360 , it won me over, and then from there I just decided to go straight into the F430 to avoid any belt-service headaches and the updated styling.

My advice when people are stuck between two (super)cars is always the same, but either one, enjoy it for a few years and then sell it to buy the other one, or if your finances and living situation allows it - add the other to your fleet.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:34 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 TTS and a 07 430 spider. The TTS acceleration leaves the 430 for dead. Significantly better turn in and grip in the TT. The Ferrari makes great noises (along with misc rattles) and attracts lots of attention, but the TTS is a significantly better car to drive. I've put 14k miles on the TTS in 3 years, the 07 Ferrari has only had 1,700 miles in the 5 years I've owned it. If you want a car to drive hard and often, I'd pick the TT. If you want a piece of art, the Italians are what you want IMHO.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Steen Jensen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I struggled with this decision for 2 years. As a long time Porsche owner my head kept saying 997tt for all the reasons mentioned above but my heart kept pointing me to the 575 Maranello V12 6 speed. Years ago I owned a V-12 E-type and have never forgotten that sweet engine.

I guess in the end , as a long time "car guy" I felt I needed to own a Ferrari at least once.

I am VERY pleased with it. Time will tell how it all works out and I still hope to get a 997tt somewhere down the road.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:39 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this has turned into an interesting thread.....some good insights here.......thanx Gents
Old 12-01-2013, 04:05 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed and all the points made are great! I was very close to getting a Gallardo as well.. But I couldn't afford the year with the better transmission.

Although the Gallardo is way different than the TT they are both awesome cars..

I have driven the F430's as well. Awesome car but I wouldn't want to drive it everyday. I brought an 09 430 Scud from Hollywood to Pasadena.. I was in bad traffic and driving the 430 in traffic was not fun.. Plus I got WAY more attention then I wanted.

I would LOVE to have all 3 cars. But I would use the Porsche the most just because it's a more friendly DD.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

Originally Posted by phillipj
Agreed and all the points made are great! I was very close to getting a Gallardo as well.. But I couldn't afford the year with the better transmission. Although the Gallardo is way different than the TT they are both awesome cars.. I have driven the F430's as well. Awesome car but I wouldn't want to drive it everyday. I brought an 09 430 Scud from Hollywood to Pasadena.. I was in bad traffic and driving the 430 in traffic was not fun.. Plus I got WAY more attention then I wanted. I would LOVE to have all 3 cars. But I would use the Porsche the most just because it's a more friendly DD.
Phillip, As you know I have a 04 Gallardo and I have to be honest in the beginning I didn't feel very comfortable with the Egear!! but like every other car, you just need to upgrade whatever you don't like....

I upgrade the Egear pump electronic motor and I also upgrade the Egear Software.... Right now my car feels almost like a SL (the shifting) ....

I can't wait to upgrade my Clutch but I still have 50% less with 10k miles....

If you want your Gallardo to respect your pocket! You have to respect the Gallardo.... She likes to be treated like a manual car...

-If you are not moving put the car in Neutral

-Don't babe step the gas, she likes it hard ;-)

-Don't leave the car in gear when you stop in a red light, stop sign, etc....

-Keep the car in Sport all the time!!!

-Don't downshift if you don't really have to...

The 997TT is a way better car period.

-Way more comfortable

-Nicer interior

-Faster from 0 to 120 (go enough to get lost)

-More reliable (even if the Gallardo is an Audi with the Italian soul, Porsches are indestructible)

-Better stereo system

-Low profile! People are annoying! I swear I don't drive the Lambo for attention

The only positive points for the Gallardo compare to the 997TT

-The best engine noise! PERIOD as you all know the 997TT will never sound like a 180k sport car, even if you change the exhaust.

-Better handling (specially in hight speed 130++)

-More aggressive acceleration in hight speed anywhere over 120 MPH

-Exotic look

Last edited by Leo997TT; 12-02-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

I would LOVE to have all 3 cars. But I would use the Porsche the most just because it's a more friendly DD.
And a Ford GTO!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:56 AM
93ls1rx7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leo, I am confused. Your saying the Porsche is head and shoulders above the Lambo?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
Leo, I am confused. Your saying the Porsche is head and shoulders above the Lambo?

If you are looking for a fast DD yes Porsche is better
Old 12-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Want something so special it is a work of art. Thrilling to drive ,
Always puts a smile on your face and is appreciating in value.
Its reliable and relatively cheap to maintain and modify.
Welcome to the world of the the 964 turbo.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:50 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Phillip, As you know I have a 04 Gallardo and I have to be honest in the beginning I didn't feel very comfortable with the Egear!! but like every other car, you just need to upgrade whatever you don't like....

I upgrade the Egear pump electronic motor and I also upgrade the Egear Software.... Right now my car feels almost like a SL (the shifting) ....

I can't wait to upgrade my Clutch but I still have 50% less with 10k miles....

If you want your Gallardo to respect your pocket! You have to respect the Gallardo.... She likes to be treated like a manual car...

-If you are not moving put the car in Neutral

-Don't babe step the gas, she likes it hard ;-)

-Don't leave the car in gear when you stop in a red light, stop sign, etc....

-Keep the car in Sport all the time!!!

-Don't downshift if you don't really have to...

The 997TT is a way better car period.

-Way more comfortable

-Nicer interior

-Faster from 0 to 120 (go enough to get lost)

-More reliable (even if the Gallardo is an Audi with the Italian soul, Porsches are indestructible)

-Better stereo system

-Low profile! People are annoying! I swear I don't drive the Lambo for attention

The only positive points for the Gallardo compare to the 997TT

-The best engine noise! PERIOD as you all know the 997TT will never sound like a 180k sport car, even if you change the exhaust.

-Better handling (specially in hight speed 130++)

-More aggressive acceleration in hight speed anywhere over 120 MPH

-Exotic look
Leo I totally agree with the sound and the high speed feel.. The Lambo is way more solid than the TT at high speeds.. And the SOUND.. Oh my.. You juts cant beat that sound of the Gallardo.

I will have a Lambo one day.. And I will have it because I love it and NOT because I want the attention..

I just love cars!

Thanks for all the tips on driving the E gear..
Old 12-02-2013, 04:05 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leo I totally agree with the sound and the high speed feel.. The Lambo is way more solid than the TT at high speeds.. And the SOUND.. Oh my.. You juts cant beat that sound of the Gallardo.

I will have a Lambo one day.. And I will have it because I love it and NOT because I want the attention..

I just love cars!

Thanks for all the tips on driving the E gear..
well said, but the have nots never see it that way unfortunately....
I love cars too and not always the attention they bring to me....
Old 12-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

The attention is really annoying.... Specially for me because I'm not a people person.... But I love to let kids take pics with my car... Their smile make my day
Old 12-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

Leo I totally agree with the sound and the high speed feel.. The Lambo is way more solid than the TT at high speeds.. And the SOUND.. Oh my.. You juts cant beat that sound of the Gallardo. I will have a Lambo one day.. And I will have it because I love it and NOT because I want the attention.. I just love cars! Thanks for all the tips on driving the E gear..
I'm sure you will! And I hope to see pics :-)

I'm "secretly looking" for a Black 997 GT2 2008 with very low miles for less than $130 k... I know it's not very realistic but if I find one I will trade my car for sure.

Quick Reply: Older Ferrari/Lambo instead of Turbo S?