Sponsored by:

997.2tt ECU upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:13 PM
hot_ride
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 997.2tt ECU upgrade?

I've been looking at a few options for ECU upgrades for a stock 997.2tt. Do I need any supporting mods? can I just run stock plus one of these?
  1. EVOMSit
  2. softronic
  3. fabspeed
  4. renntech

I'd like to ensure that I don't overstep or encroach on any limits imposed by Porsche, including over revving. Can anyone comment on any of these or provide some specific suggestions? The short answer may be that none of these are for me... which is also an acceptable answer. I'm also concerned about any tuning codes that may be thrown by these and would appreciate any known items regarding this as well.

Please refrain from any subjective slamming of these products, I don't want this to turn into an argumentative thread.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:59 AM
93ls1rx7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call each tuner to get exactly what they do. I know GIAC claims they dont remove any of the facotry protections etc and I would assume others are similar but you would need to talk to each to confirm.

For the money you are going to spend, it is worth a 10 minute call IMO.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:56 PM
hot_ride
Track Day

Thanks for the suggestion, I was going to call each of them and do some substantial research, but was hoping to get some responses first.
I was hoping to also receive some initial feedback on both my questions as well as the companies, as well as get some alternate choices. Also, I'm not sure I'm keen on flashing the ECU, are there any piggy back options available that accomplish the same thing?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:31 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

"Many" posters on this website recommend the Europipe exhaust and either a Softronic or GIAC flash. That combo alone will net you 80-100hp with similar torque increases. Expect to pay approximately $5K to really "wake-up" your car. IMO there is no need to go any further unless you plan to track your car. There are a lot of previous posts re this subject. Use the search feature and I'm sure you'll find the answers to your questions. BTW, none of the aforementioned products trigger a CEL.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:01 AM
ScorpionT
Instructor

I personally like Protomotive. Its best to pair a tune with an exhaust to get the best results. If you want more power there are a few other things you can add.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on Protomotive. I have the race gas tune and I love it.. Plus they will give additional free maps if you add more mods. It's loaded by your laptop with a flash cable and you keep your stock map in case you want to go back to stock.

It's not the only good one but it should be on your list..
Old 11-27-2013, 02:14 PM
floridaBMW
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recommend an exhaust if u decide to flash the car. I'm no expert but would imagine there is more pressure and gasses with the higher engine output due to the tune. I wouldn't want the stock exhaust to create any kind of unnecessary resistance. I suppose an argument could be made for the manifolds also but have read they are pretty stout for mild tuning. There are a couple other tuners also: GIAC EPL

Ken
Old 11-27-2013, 04:22 PM
magicjack
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Softronic. However it seems everyone has similar positive experience regardless of the tuner. If you want extra power, it'll deliver but the power addition of the tune (when the turbos are spooled) is excessive for me -- its insane.

One interesting note, apparently Softronic has licensed their tune to other companies which will put their name on the tune. So, if you go with someone other than Softronic, there's a chance you're getting their (softronic) tune file anyways but through a middleman.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:00 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is not possible to have too much power.. I got used to "insane" in about a week and wanted more. Luckily I got therapy and I'm okay now..

Quick Reply: 997.2tt ECU upgrade?