Sponsored by:

Blower Fan Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blower Fan Failure

A friend's TT has encountered message that blower fan has failed.
The fan no longer activates, we unplugged it and have powered the fan from an outside power source and it works fine.
The electrical cables don't appear to be crimped or broken. Fuse in footwell is fine.

Anybody have any input on this? Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

What about the engine compartment temperature sensor?

Also, there is a fuse but there also might be a relay associated with the fan. You'll have to consult the fuse/relay booklet in the lid of the fuse box to know for sure.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:28 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why doesn't he take to an Indie and have the codes read? It is probably a simple fix like Macster suggested. But without the codes he will just be guessing..
Old 09-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
Why doesn't he take to an Indie and have the codes read? It is probably a simple fix like Macster suggested. But without the codes he will just be guessing..
That takes the fun out of problem solving. If that is the solution to all small service issues then this forum would need not exist.
The following 2 users liked this post by Goldstar:
Backday (06-09-2021), Robocop305 (09-03-2021)
Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldstar
That takes the fun out of problem solving. If that is the solution to all small service issues then this forum would need not exist.
One has to have a good idea of what's wrong, otherwise, even for what appears to be a small service issue one can end up replacing fairly expensive parts.

Since the fan works there's the engine compartment temp sensor or the DME. (Or maybe the fan is only bad when it is hot...)

If your friend doesn't want to sully his shade tree mechanic go it alone rep by asking a pro for assistance then advise him to buy a new engine compartment temp sensor.

If that doesn't work then maybe consider a new engine compartment fan. If that proves not to be the problem fix have him price a new DME. When he hears the price of the new DME he'll wish he'd consulted a pro about this.

In fact I expect he'll wish he had when he hears the price of the new engine compartment fan.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:49 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldstar

Totally disagree. Throwing money at a mystery problem is no solution. It cost nothing to get the codes read. They will tell you what to replace the first time..

Even if someone here had a similar issue that doesn't mean that the solution would be the same..
Old 06-09-2021, 04:12 PM
tmshinro
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Driving my 08 TT for the first time in summer heat since buying it last fall. I know the engine compartment fan ran last fall. but I got a warning on the instrument panel last week after driving it in 85 degree weather. I turned the engine off and the message appeared and the red warning light in the temperature gauge started blinking. Researching the internet showed that the failure could be a blown fuse. The fuse in located in the relay carrier behind the back seat. Found a good, fully illustrated write up on how to access the fuse for a coupe but I have a cabriole. I haven't been able to find similar guidance as good as the coupe instructions.

I did manage to figure out how to put the convertible top into the service position to access the area where the carrier is located but I need to remove the carpet over the engine to get at it. I see there are two round button clips in the middle that should be straight forward to remove but there are also two hard plastic "saddles" on each end which apparently are used for operating the top. I can put my finger under the saddle to feel the end of a self tapping screw which is holding it in place but there is a plastic cap over the screw head at the base of the saddle. See pictures.

Before I go crazy with a screwdriver and scar up or disfigure the saddle caps, I thought I ask to see if anyone has removed these and can share the technique they used.

My Porsche club chapter has a 3 hour drive coming up this Saturday and the temperatures will be close to 90 for the entire trip. I'm sure we will leave the top up and run the A/C which will cause the engine temps to go up. If I can't get at the fuse before then, is it safe to drive it under those conditions if the fan does not work?
Old 06-09-2021, 09:49 PM
IXXI TT
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tmshinro
Driving my 08 TT for the first time in summer heat since buying it last fall. I know the engine compartment fan ran last fall. but I got a warning on the instrument panel last week after driving it in 85 degree weather. I turned the engine off and the message appeared and the red warning light in the temperature gauge started blinking. Researching the internet showed that the failure could be a blown fuse. The fuse in located in the relay carrier behind the back seat. Found a good, fully illustrated write up on how to access the fuse for a coupe but I have a cabriole. I haven't been able to find similar guidance as good as the coupe instructions.

I did manage to figure out how to put the convertible top into the service position to access the area where the carrier is located but I need to remove the carpet over the engine to get at it. I see there are two round button clips in the middle that should be straight forward to remove but there are also two hard plastic "saddles" on each end which apparently are used for operating the top. I can put my finger under the saddle to feel the end of a self tapping screw which is holding it in place but there is a plastic cap over the screw head at the base of the saddle. See pictures.

Before I go crazy with a screwdriver and scar up or disfigure the saddle caps, I thought I ask to see if anyone has removed these and can share the technique they used.

My Porsche club chapter has a 3 hour drive coming up this Saturday and the temperatures will be close to 90 for the entire trip. I'm sure we will leave the top up and run the A/C which will cause the engine temps to go up. If I can't get at the fuse before then, is it safe to drive it under those conditions if the fan does not work?
If you're asking how to remove the carpet, for the 997.2tt cab which looks similar, all you have to do is remove the 2 plastic middle buttons and pull the carpet out around its perimeter. The carpet pulls out around those "saddles". The carpet backing is firm so use a little muscle and pull at different angles around the saddle. The saddle stays in place (not removed or touched).
Old 06-10-2021, 05:05 AM
964hans
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Hello Goldstar there are two relays

Regards
Hans
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 07:17 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

You may find further info here: https://rennkit.com/rennkit-home/996...als-brochures/
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 06-11-2021, 03:07 PM
tmshinro
Advanced

Many thanks for the help in informing me that the "saddles" do not have to be removed to remove the carpet. I got the carpet moved away and found that one of the 3 amp fuses was blown. Replaced it and will find out tomorrow when I go for a club drive if that solves my fan problem.

FYI - my car was built in Aug of 07 and had a 10 amp fuse where the 7.5 amp fuse would have been. I have read that Porsche put out a service bulletin to replace the 7.5 with a 10 and my car must have been come from the factory with a 10 amp fuse.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:31 PM
tmshinro
Advanced

Well I went on my club drive today for a total of 3 hours of driving in 90 deg heat. Coolant temp was a steady 175 and oil temp was just a little below 200 all day long. Unfortunately at our first stop after an hour and a half when I restarted the car I got the engine compartment warning again. On our second stop the same thing happened.

I didn't look after I got home but I assume I blew the 3 amp fuse again. Anybody got any ideas where to look next to find out why the fuse keeps blowing? I thought I'd put 12v on the fan leads to ensure that it works but after that I don't have a clue.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:45 PM
IXXI TT
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tmshinro
Well I went on my club drive today for a total of 3 hours of driving in 90 deg heat. Coolant temp was a steady 175 and oil temp was just a little below 200 all day long. Unfortunately at our first stop after an hour and a half when I restarted the car I got the engine compartment warning again. On our second stop the same thing happened.

I didn't look after I got home but I assume I blew the 3 amp fuse again. Anybody got any ideas where to look next to find out why the fuse keeps blowing? I thought I'd put 12v on the fan leads to ensure that it works but after that I don't have a clue.
Since it happened at stops, I imagine it's engine temp related. The fan should continue to run (for a bit) after shut down, especially with spirited driving. Have you looked into temp sensors? Best bet is to find a wiring diagram on the network of your fuse/fan and trace.

Agree, confirm the operation of the fan as a next step.

Honestly, I hate how these fans are set up. To rule things out, any mechanical blockages (e.g.leaves, twigs, etc.)?

After a quick search, it seems people are replacing the 7.5/10 amp fuse with a 15 amp... and it solving the issue.

Last edited by IXXI TT; 06-12-2021 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:11 AM
tmshinro
Advanced

After some internet searching I found a couple of posts about recall "W737" that apparently reprograms the DME to eliminate the low speed fan cycle because it would always run. Anybody know anything about this?
Old 06-14-2021, 09:30 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 397 Likes on 281 Posts

If you haven't blown the fuse, check the relay.

Ed

Quick Reply: Blower Fan Failure