Sponsored by:

Keep/Sell OEM Parts - Your Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 10:02 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Keep/Sell OEM Parts - Your Opinion

As I continue to "upgrade" my TT I was wondering if I should keep or sell my OEM parts. For example, I replaced my PCM 2.1 with telephone module with a Pioneer AVIC system, OEM exhaust tips with Fabspeed black chrome tips, and my Turbo II wheels with black GT3 RS wheels (not installed yet). I've also made other less obvious mods and kept all of the OEM parts. Given I generally don't keep a car for longer than two years is there a selling (no trade-in) incentive for me to eventually advertise the car for sale with the OEM parts or without? I know mods are sometimes frowned upon by purists so in retrospect keeping my OEM parts (additional incentive) allows a prospective buyer to return the car to OEM stock without additional cost/s. But, at the same time, I'm losing potential funds I could use to mod the car further.

Options;

1. Advertise car with mods, don't offer OEM parts (sell at current retail, typically little/no return on investment for mods)
2. Advertise car with mods, offer OEM parts (ask a little more than current retail, buyer can R/R parts and make a few $$ too)
3. Return car to stock OEM, sell replacement parts (I recoup some of my investment)
4. Advertise car with mods, negotiate selling price with buyer on what mods they want to keep

Your thoughts/opinions please. Thanks
Old 09-21-2013, 12:39 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Keep the original parts.

@#1. No, you will scare some potential buyers, underpriced or not.
#2. Can do, but still may cause some of #1
#3. Work involved. Only return to stock if trading in. Not private sale.

Other than the wheels, none of the parts seem too bulky, and that's what basements ( and/or attics) are for.

If you think the radio upgrade and exhaust tips and GT3RS wheels "make" the Turbo better, keep it that way. I don't know if the PCM 2.1 is upgradeable, but I can guarantee it will be outdated in 6 months- 1 year. A loyal Porsche owner/ purist who chooses for the interior to remain stock and intact may just as soon prefer to have an "antique" radio in place.

If you offer the car for sale privately, don't switch the OEM items out, just turn them in to the new owner. Most of the other mods you can possibly get, what, maybe another $500-1K in the price? Wheels sets, maybe $1,500-2000 if the buyer wants them or not.... #4... yes

IF you are trading the car in, most dealers may frown on non-OEM items, so you're better off getting the radio, exhaust tips, what-not, and wheels back to stock. Then you can re-sell extra parts on RL....
Old 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

I would keep the original parts. When you decide to sell the car remove all of the aftermarket parts. You will be able to sell an original car quicker than a modified car!
Old 09-21-2013, 03:24 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO sell the wheels unless you plan to keep them as dedicated track wheels. You'll get a couple grand for them and they won't be taking up space in your garage. then when you go to sell the car in a couple of years you'll be able to pick up a set of stock wheels off ebay for less than you sell your set for today.

And with the money you get for your wheels go shopping for an AM exhaust!
Old 09-21-2013, 03:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

keep original parts for resale time as you will need to put it back to stock to appeal to the masses. ( you can always entice them with the goods after the fact)

You can sell the aftermarket stuff for 50% of what you paid for it and you should get back what you paid for the RS wheels while getting full market value for your TT in stock trim.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:47 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
IMO sell the wheels unless you plan to keep them as dedicated track wheels. You'll get a couple grand for them and they won't be taking up space in your garage. then when you go to sell the car in a couple of years you'll be able to pick up a set of stock wheels off ebay for less than you sell your set for today.

And with the money you get for your wheels go shopping for an AM exhaust!
This !
I just advertised my original wheels last week.
They keep getting older (tires) and I always can get a set if and when I sell the car.
I also have GT2/GT3RS wheels and think those will be a plus when selling the car.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:33 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep the stock parts definitely. But I agree the wheels could go...
Old 09-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 279 Posts

^What they said...
Old 09-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
^What they said...
Nice avatar
Old 09-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 279 Posts

^I've been wanting to change it but I did not know how!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed, keep 'em.....never know when you'll need them

Quick Reply: Keep/Sell OEM Parts - Your Opinion