997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought an 09 TT :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013 | 04:48 PM
phillipj
Drifting

In my opinion you should consider staying with a 19 inch wheel and lowering the car. Go with H & R, Eibach, GMG etc. The ride quality is still very good and the car handles so much better. If you like spirited driving you may want to add sways bars and then get a GT3 spec alignment.

When the car is lowered you will go through spoiler lips more frequently. To me it is a small price to pay for the increased handling and the overall look of the car.

IMHO the "Werks" CF wing is the best looking out there. But very pricey.

And be warned. Sat away from "Vivid" and and any "Agency" crap they sell. Vivid are crooks.

The folks here know what works and what doesn't. So before you buy anything run it by us first. It will save you a lot of time and money.

And you haven't mentioned an exhaust. The over all consensus here is the Europipe. Lots of happy customers.....

Congrats on the new car and welcome!
Old 07-30-2013 | 06:05 PM
9115INGH
Intermediate

Cheers dude!

Oh ye sorry i didn't mention the exhaust because the car already has a DMS stage 2 setup on it which includes their exhaust which has the quad pipes. It already had this setup when i bought it. I will put up a video of my car's exhaust note as soon as i get my dam camera back as it also videos in 1080p.

Thanks for the advice regarding the Agency stuff!

Im looking forward to this amazing experience of owning one of the best cars on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2013 | 06:26 PM
9115INGH
Intermediate

What do you folks think of this style of wing? A replacement of the top part rather than a complete overhaul..
http://www.wickedmotorworks.com/part...p?partid=10048
Old 07-30-2013 | 07:07 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Awesome about the exhaust..

Don't buy from Wicked! Absolute crap! The worst fitment and craftsmanship. I have seen some of their stuff on Turbos.. A real joke..

Go with the high end companies. You really do "get what you pay for"...
Old 07-30-2013 | 08:19 PM
9115INGH
Intermediate

Thanks, see i have no clue about these US based companies and who is GOOD and who is CRAP.

Being in the UK my options are limited as it is! lol but it seems to be that the big names are they only way to go and they are usually available here too.
Old 07-30-2013 | 08:30 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^ I am glad that you finally told us where you live!
There are many great tuners in the UK. But you can drive to or ship your car to TechArt in Stuttgart-Leonberg, or there are so many other folks in Germany!

If you can control yourself for a few months, go to the Essen Tuner's motor show at the end of November and you can meet all the vendors and pick and choose!
http://www.essen-motorshow.de/en/ems/

IMHO: I have wasted a lot of time and money attending many car shows around the world, and Essen is by far the best Tuner show... I would encourage any of the RL guys to attend.
Old 07-30-2013 | 09:20 PM
pv997tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Igooz
Congratulations to you!

You really want to stay with less than a 3% Front - Rear diameter difference to save your AWD. Your option 2 has a 3.6% stagger and that is not good. You might as well go to 245/35X19 since it would fit as long as you have the correct wheel offstet. And sounds like you already know the issues with 20" wheels...
Originally Posted by jcnesq
Congrats and welcome to the 09 club, best of the best.

I have no personal experience but I did talk at length to my highly respected Porsche wheel guys, and they talked me out of 20's. From everything I've heard, I wouldn't go there. Stick with 19s and buy some new rims if that makes you happy.
What are the issues with 20" wheels? When I bought my car it already had 20" wheels (245/30x20, 345/25x20). My car is mostly for DD, but I do plan to do a little tracking.
Old 07-30-2013 | 09:44 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

The objective/technical reasons for not wanting 20" vs. 19" typically are:
+ Both wheels equal brand, the 20" weigh more. Higher sprung mass is not good for suspension and handling
+ The additional weight of the wheel is further out from the center of the rotating wheel (on the rim, bigger rim circumference, and longer spokes --> all bad). Because: The moment of inertia of a rotating wheel is proportional to the mass X square of the radius. So the bigger you go on wheel diameter, the more the moment of inertia gets (longer diameter and more mass on the rim). And since the Kinetic energy is proportional to moment of inertia, then the result of this is a wheel that is harder to accelerate, harder to brake (brake torque), harder to turn, ... So for tracking all bad...

+ Lower profile rubber with 20" degrades the vehicle ride. Specifically, you get more "vertical" loads into the chassis.

+ Lower profile tires with 20" worsen the NVH in the cab.

Soft stuff:
+ 20" tires are usually more expensive

+ Looks: Very subjective and people with poor taste such as myself don't like the rubber band tire look.

Last edited by Igooz; 07-30-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2013 | 07:45 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Congrats on your TT Singh. You really ought to post some pics.
I bought mine with 20" setup and don't have any complaints. But then again I don't know any different. Ride is fine, usual issues over deep pot-hole laden streets, but any sportscar will need to be careful.
I love the look of the setup lowered and spacers, looks a bit more finished.
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2013 | 08:20 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

No pics? OMG! This is a gross violation of the policy of 'No pics, no car'. You've got to post bro. Page two and no pics? That's just bad form...

P.s. Congratulations. You've bought yourslef a fantastic car.
Old 08-01-2013 | 04:32 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Yes, it is the best car on the planet! So why mess it up? I've seen many modifications done by others that just IMO cheapens the original Porsche engineering and design. Enjoy their work and 50 years if experience and research.

If your going to change the wing and there is no stopping you - check out Vorsteiner's version. I'm not a big fan of their bumper upgrades, but the wing looks good. It's expensive - but it also should be because the one you have is expensive.

Also, it appears your big on modifying things. My advise, take your time and do it slowly and in small steps. Your gonna find that Porsche engineers don't like anyone messing with their inventions, and that most changes are not for the better.

Quick Reply: Just bought an 09 TT :)