Sponsored by:

Which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:40 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Which would you choose?

I have narrowed my search down to these 2 997TT's. Both are well optioned however, I want to ask those of you that have gone through the process when purchasing your Turbo's....

If you had to pick one of these 2 cars, which would you choose. Assume PPI and DME reports have checked out....

Option 1: 2008

Features: Black/Black (my preferred choice), only 27K miles, sport seats, carbon bits (shifter, hand brake), 1yr CPO warranty left, 2 owner CDN car.

Price: $81,600 USD

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...howcpo=ShowCPO

Option 2: 2007

Features: Arctic Silver/Black, 35K miles, sport seats, PCCB, U.S. 2 owner car (Florida)

Price: $74,700 USD

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...howcpo=ShowCPO

I find the '08 priced really high. That said, it is a year newer, is my desired and preferred colour choice and has 1yr of CPO warranty left. I also like the fact that it is a CDN car.

The silver turbo has more features IE: PCCB, rear locking diff. I don't plan to ever track the car, so I don't care much for these features, but they are nice when/if it comes time for resale.

Which would you choose?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:48 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The 08 in a second. Pccbs have a huge replacement cost and they're 5 years old.
A year newer and 10kless miles with sports seats is key, plus black is the fastest color.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Jon997TT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my '07 TT M/T last month for $73,000 USD with 1 year left on the CPO. 20,500 miles, atlas grey, black leather adaptive sport seats, rear diff lock, sport shifter, and additional leather bits on the interior.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:06 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by Jon997TT
I purchased my '07 TT M/T last month for $73,000 USD with 1 year left on the CPO. 20,500 miles, atlas grey, black leather adaptive sport seats, rear diff lock, sport shifter, and additional leather bits on the interior.
Great deal by the sounds of it...congrats! Somewhat comparable to the arctic silver one I mention above - minus the CPO ofcourse.

$6900 difference between the 2 I am after. I just can't seem to justify the difference to move on the black one. Sure it has 1yr of CPO left on it, but is it really worth $6900?

Need some guidance here folks!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Are you looking at US cars also? Or Canada only?

If US, check this one out...it was sent to me today for someone else...But I won't forward yet...
http://www.autohauslancasterporsche....info.php?VHR=1
Old 07-23-2013, 11:14 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 07_RS4
Great deal by the sounds of it...congrats! Somewhat comparable to the arctic silver one I mention above - minus the CPO ofcourse.

$6900 difference between the 2 I am after. I just can't seem to justify the difference to move on the black one. Sure it has 1yr of CPO left on it, but is it really worth $6900?

Need some guidance here folks!
if both cars check out after a PPI and are in acceptable condition and have the options you desire then it really comes down to personal preference, budget and what your plans are for use.

If budget is important and the 07 is free and clear of any issues and you like the options then $7K in your pocket is real money which can be used for mods (which is a big plus IMO) or in your investment account.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:15 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by Igooz
Are you looking at US cars also? Or Canada only?

If US, check this one out...it was sent to me today for someone else...But I won't forward yet...
http://www.autohauslancasterporsche....info.php?VHR=1
I want to keep my purchase within Canada. I find going state side, after all of the fee's etc., it works out to the same if not more in some cases.

That is a beauty 997TT you are showing....at $79K USD, by the time it's brought over to me, I am close to $90K CDN landed on this car....insane...I know!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by aa909
if both cars check out after a PPI and are in acceptable condition and have the options you desire then it really comes down to personal preference, budget and what your plans are for use.

If budget is important and the 07 is free and clear of any issues and you like the options then $7K in your pocket is real money which can be used for mods (which is a big plus IMO) or in your investment account.
Agreed. I like your thinking on the mods/savings account.

I really like the looks of the black/black. The fact that it is 1yr newer, and that it has 1yr of CPO on it is attractive to me.

I am going to see the black one on Thursday and at the same time, see what kind of a deal I may be able to strike. If it's good, then I will likely move on this one.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Ok. Understood. Then...

I would always buy the lower mileage car with warranty. So IMO: Black TT. And so some heavy $$ negotiation! You got nothing to lose.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:31 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by Igooz
Ok. Understood. Then...

I would always buy the lower mileage car with warranty. So IMO: Black TT. And so some heavy $$ negotiation! You got nothing to lose.
Appreciate the feedback!

The Black TT was recently listed for $85K CDN, now $83,998 CDN. I am really tempted to offer somewhere in between $76-$78K CDN.

Any of you think that might be too low of an offer?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

You are buying from a dealer so no! They are used to negotiation and it is only expected!

Start at $75k. Be cool and calm. Have a number in mind. Don't cross it. Be patient with them.

This is probably a one time relationship (transaction) and the sales guy will probably not remember you the next morning!

Have your list of your expectations with you: PPI, CPO must be real, ...

You should see what they do when they are buying cars. "It's only business!"
Old 07-24-2013, 12:06 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Listen to igooz, start 75.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd go for the 2008 as between the two - nice car, color, package, mileage not excessive, CDN car. My 09TT has PCCB's (as did my 05 997S) and they are fantastic brakes (and virtually no brake dust). However, the rotors are extremely expensive ($3K each - ??) so there is always a worry if they were to be damaged. In any case, they are not essential in my book, in fact when I originally planned to order a 2010 GT3 before I ended up with the TT, I had pretty much decided not to get PCCB.

With any dealer, they expect some negotiation and usually they have a fair amount of room, so negotiate firmly and be prepared to walk.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The black one is a Montreal car by the looks of it. That requires some caution to start with IMHO.
I notice its not even listed on the dealer's website. The car has Quebec plates so it is likely licensed to someone else and is on consignment.

I'm not sure about the silver car's history but would take a Ont over Que car history. Also Humberview is a good place to deal with.

Both have their pluses. Local car has more toys, especially sport seats and PCCB. More value for less cost. If you can negotiate a deal for about $70 for the silver I think you'd be we'll served.

Best of luck with your purchase.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 AM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by Goldstar
The black one is a Montreal car by the looks of it. That requires some caution to start with IMHO.
I notice its not even listed on the dealer's website. The car has Quebec plates so it is likely licensed to someone else and is on consignment.

I'm not sure about the silver car's history but would take a Ont over Que car history. Also Humberview is a good place to deal with.

Both have their pluses. Local car has more toys, especially sport seats and PCCB. More value for less cost. If you can negotiate a deal for about $70 for the silver I think you'd be we'll served.

Best of luck with your purchase.
Appreciate the feedback. I noticed the plate on the car as well, but didn't think too much about it. I did ask why the car was not on their website and they were surprised. I plan to go see the Mtl car tomorrow and will ask more questions then.

Quick Reply: Which would you choose?