Best ways to upgrade cosmetics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best ways to upgrade cosmetics?

Hey Guys and Gals,
I'm wanting to do a few things to my Guards Red over Natural Brown '07 TT and have some questions/requests for opinions/experiences.

First, I'd like to have my lower black parts (front lip, etc.) color-matched to the car. What is the best way to go about this? Do I have to worry about color-matching? Should I have anything re-sprayed while I'm at it (never had a clear bra, so got a few nicks)? I would consider SUBTLE aftermarket alternative lip, skirts, diffuser, but most things I see are too obvious for my tastes.

I can't decide what to do about the PCM. No Bluetooth is archaic, as well as 2006 maps. The sticky rubber coating on the ***** and AC switches is crap. I'm aware of the aftermarket touch screens (which I don't care for in general--give me buttons), the Dension device, etc. It chaps my *** that Porsche won't let us drop in a 3.0 PCM. Any thoughts?

I like the idea of a fully-integrated, comprehensive radar/laser detection/blocking system. Not sure how or where to go down this road.

I'd like to get rid of all interior parts with that rubber paint on them. Another horrible choice by Porsche. I'm thinking about either going by Eric's place or doing it all in leather parts. I just don't know if Guards Red interior pieces are going to fly with the Natural Brown interior--black or gray yes, but brown? Leather parts are pricey, though. We're talking console, door pieces, and possibly parts of the upper dash. (Some idiot scraped the paint near the windshield while removing an inspection sticker before I purchased the car. It's small, but I don't like it being there.)
Old 07-17-2013, 07:02 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would just ad an iPod and BT am to the stock PCM, the am ones look, well am.
Besides, all these pcms are obsolete compared to the new cars. As long as the nav works, add the BT, etc and you're gtg. I believe porsche can update the nav as well to a point.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subtle in my opinion would be Front OEM aero kit, GT2 side skirts and techart rear diffuser, all painted body color. I don't care for any of the AM rear wings. Would not paint the front bumper until it gets worse.

As for PCM my rear wing comment applies here as well and I agree with TTSurgeons suggestion.

Interior-leather is nice but having these parts idividually wrapped probably cost more than when configuring from the factory. I agree the plastic does look cheap. Good luck
Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 PM
FasPilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting question. Quick suggestions: change the side marker lens to clear if not done already, install a full clear bra, remove air bag stickers from visors, get a first rate sealant and wax.
For the countermeasure system, I'm happy with my STIR Plus radar detector and Laser Interceptor Quad. Widely considered state of art. Really expert installation is key.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where are the pictures????
Old 07-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm right here in your back yard. Reach out: eric@bumperplugs.com

We can offer a variety of nice goodies to improve the look and some of the other items you reference.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by FasPilot
For the countermeasure system, I'm happy with my STIR Plus radar detector and Laser Interceptor Quad. Widely considered state of art. Really expert installation is key.
Haha, "countermeasure system." When I read that I immediately thought pilot, then saw your screen name. Love it.

Fly Navy!

Trending Topics

Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I tried to post this earlier but the site went down, and before I saw Eric's post. You could do some nice upgrades by painting the plastic pieces and interior bits (see Eric's website www.bumperplugs.com) - happy customer but no affiliation. He has some other nice bits as well, also see Suncoast for carbon fiber, leather bits. I think you can get updated maps. Understand non-touch screen and cheap buttons, etc. (still have my 05 997S). Get the AM bluetooth and etc. modules (I think Eric has them too). Not perfect, but in my opinion, 07-09 TT's are long term "keepers". Work with it!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
where are the pictures????
As for pics, your avatar keeps most of us satisfied for now.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
As for pics, your avatar keeps most of us satisfied for now.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:38 AM
FasPilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Haha, "countermeasure system." When I read that I immediately thought pilot, then saw your screen name. Love it.

Fly Navy!
Funny. My only airborne threat countermeasure at present is a weather radar antenna operating behind the radome of a Baron’s version of the pointy nose. XM Nexrad too, but it doesn't transmit its own pulses, so not as countermeasure-like.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by L_perm
I can't decide what to do about the PCM. No Bluetooth is archaic, as well as 2006 maps. The sticky rubber coating on the ***** and AC switches is crap. I'm aware of the aftermarket touch screens (which I don't care for in general--give me buttons), the Dension device, etc. It chaps my *** that Porsche won't let us drop in a 3.0 PCM. Any thoughts?
I have tooki bluetooth, ipod adapter and xm. All of them have intermittent problems. Everyone tells me I sound like a robot while talking on the bluetooth. It won't load my full phonebook and the PCM's interface for working with the phone is easily the worst ever made.

The ipod adapter won't properly skip tracks and the previous owner installed mine in a bad location (glovebox). It always displays the last song I played in the ipod app even if I'm playing a song via pandora. If I skip forward while using amazon cloud player, it starts playing with the ipod app instead. It was obviously designed for ipods, not iphones, so keep that in mind.

XM pops up saying that I need to pay for service once or twice a week. Have to restart the car and then it goes back to normal.

Overall all of these addons seem to be really hack-ish. Add that to the PCM's already terrible interface and design and well...the end result isn't good IMO. I think I'm going to go with an aftermarket setup. I am not very concerned about losing the barely-functional track display info in the guages and the tiny nav arrow. The only downside is not being able to change the PCM setting for DRL and climate control but again, not really concerned about it.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:58 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Yep feel the same way about adding any Dension, Toki whatever. I stick with an fm modulator/ Bluetooth. It works fine. Not the greatest sound but it works. I almost pulled the trigger on the newest Dension but I just don't want problems. Maybe when they get the next iteration? Eric from bumper plugs seems to be a great help on the subject matter. If someone would just make an simple MOST Bluetooth adapter just for music iphone integration I would buy it.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:36 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.

Eric, I will be giving you a call/email before too long. I'm thinking some combination of silver painted parts and leather parts is probably the way to go. I'm also nearly convinced the newest Dension is the way to go for BT. I don't have any kind of iPod, iPhone, iPad, though I may have an iPhone at some point. I still use CDs on the rare occasion that I listen to music in the car.

Eurotom, Is the OE aero kit you refer to just a bottom lip, or does it include the bumper in some way. I think I remember seeing an OE bottom lip that extended a little further and had some splitter contouring. I'll have to look up the TechArt diffuser. I agree on the wing--not changing it.

FasPilot, I'll have to look up the STIR Plus and Laser Interceptor Quad. I've seen them mentioned, but I don't know anything about them. I do a decent amount of driving in VA, so whatever I choose would need to be as undetectable as possible. BTW, I do have the clear side-markers.

My PCM CDP doesn't fully eject the CD, and I end up having to pull, which leaves scratches on my CDs. I'm under CPO, so I'm having the dealer look at it. Maybe they'll put in a new PCM--that'd be nice.

It looks like a Dension is probably in my future, and I guess I'll just pry off the AC levers and send them to "stickynomore.com." The whole AC unit has to be removed and disassembled to do this, but my AC levers bother me.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:52 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes just the bottom lip, mounts the same way your current lip would. Check out the rear diffuser its makes a big sublte change to the rear along with the side profile. Do a search on here for Arts car,
user aa909 he has a lot of nice pics for reference.

Quick Reply: Best ways to upgrade cosmetics?