Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1TT Front "LED" conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:10 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation 997.1TT Front "LED" conversion...

i apologize for the lack of pics.. i have a couple in my phone but iOS7 is not being very helpful right now..

before selling the vehicle, I had the "retrofit" installed and had some serious "qualms" about the kit..

first, the kit seem to be OEM 997.1 parts that are taken apart and then LED's placed inside where the original light bulbs would be.. excess glue/caulk are present on the lights to show where they "hacked" them.

the lights hardwire up to ACC/on which means they are always on and not changeable once plugged in.. oem can be turned on/off.. (similar to 997.1 has / DRL headlights that can be turned on and off)....

the kit plugs into the oem light sockets to work the turn signals... they work fine for this... but this is the only connection on the car that seems "proper"... everything else feels "ghetto rigged".. and just not right.

so once you remove your bumper and string wires around and about your car and get over the excess caulk... you turn the car to ACC/on and you see......

....... the dimmest LED lights probably ever made, i think my single bulb LED flashlight from china does a better job at radiating light......

i feel the best part of OEM led's are the sheer brightness of the bulbs that catch your attention from afar making your car seen on the road and safer all around... these aftermarket units are so dim that i had to pull into a dark parking garage to even get a picture of them as in the sunlight they blend right in.

so, to any of those considering aftermarket 997.1TT led retrofits, i would suggest not buying them.. they should cost $300 for the 'ghetto kit" and for 1k you shoukd get 997.2 oem pieces that plug up properly..
Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks for the heads up Riley. There is only one manufacturer/seller of these kits, correct?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Thanks for the heads up Riley. There is only one manufacturer/seller of these kits, correct?
i believe so, or if not they both do the same setup (reuse oem shells). not sure why they cant find someone to produce new lights, i.e. dectane/Depo.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Spatia
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the retro kit and they are horrible. Do the 997.2 kit just plug and play on a 997.1?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My magician mechanic converted mine. The only kit that is made from scratch (in China) which means no hack job is Agency shower I think. They cast molds I believe to made them I remember seeing something on the 6. However, as a matter of principal mostly, I dont do business with them, nor can I endorse their work.

When carefully done, this is a good hack. Lots of labour and expensive bit, like 500-600 euro. Didnt hardwire them always on, I switch on driving lights. I do love the look.

Quick Reply: 997.1TT Front "LED" conversion...