Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on dragway, Import Face Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013 | 06:42 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Default First time on dragway, Import Face Off

Have only had the car a couple months but wanted to take it out and see what it could do in a safe environment so I took it to the Import Face Off drag event and ran the car. I've never drag-raced a car before in my life, but I was pretty happy to see a 11.7. I ran three times, all almost identical, tiptronic, totally stock, green light, pedal to the floor. I posted a fast enough time to win my class but was DQ'd because they thought I was broke when they didn't see me behind the line of cars!!!!!!!!

P.S. the car I was supposed to race in the quarterfinals (an EVO) ran an impressive 14.5 to take the win :-(

Old 06-23-2013 | 07:25 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

That is really a great time! Nice work and excellent!!!

I can't see the 60', but looking at the rest of the numbers you are getting a good launch! I am guessing you did not drop your tire pressure much or foot brake off the line?

"993GT" on the 6GT2 forum just recently ran a 11.9 at 127mph if I remember correctly. He cannot launch like you (RWD/MT/stock clutch) but has more top end speed as I think his motor is slightly tweaked!
Old 06-25-2013 | 04:53 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Igooz
That is really a great time! Nice work and excellent!!!

I can't see the 60', but looking at the rest of the numbers you are getting a good launch! I am guessing you did not drop your tire pressure much or foot brake off the line?

"993GT" on the 6GT2 forum just recently ran a 11.9 at 127mph if I remember correctly. He cannot launch like you (RWD/MT/stock clutch) but has more top end speed as I think his motor is slightly tweaked!
Thanks, the 60' time was 1.8. I didn't drop tire pressure at all, running 37 in front and 44 in rear. I had no tire slippage at all however PSM was on the entire time preventing this. If I turn PSM off, what's a good recommended tire pressure to launch? I did use brake torquing, however since this was my first time ever running from a light tree, my timing was horrible and I'm guessing the turbos were less than half what they should be if I could take my time. Any other tips? Going to try running again in two weeks in the 11.5 heads up class. Cheers!
Old 06-25-2013 | 04:55 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Very nice.
Speed the other car ran is irrelevant, no?
Does it not depend on consistency & not breaking out?

I have not been on a drag strip in over 35 yrs.
Old 06-25-2013 | 06:18 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

You really did good! I am guessing that you don't want to screw around too much with your car...so drop your tire pressure to 32 (? I don't know your tires...later look and make sure that you are not spinning the wheels on the bead?), don't go through the bleach, Turn off PSM and use your throttle to modulate wheel spin, on three tree rev up to rpm to 3,000-4,0000 rpm (?) and watch the lights...not sure if they are running a Pro tree at your track? PS: You can't spool up for too long on the tree, since after 10sec(?) everything heats up and you will lose some efficiency.

Looking at your numbers you can drop your 60' with the PSM off (practice and lower tire pressure) and a hole shot. But I think that you are running out of power on the top end...I am guessing that your car is stock?

If this becomes addicting then we can talk about NOS, drag tires, weight reduction, more boost, even more weight reduction, bigger rear tire, even more boost, bigger turbos more NOS, inner coolers, ..., NEW CAR!

Until a few years ago I would still run my Pro Gas '68 Camaro that I had built in 1982 and would run every once in a while. It ran an honest 8.5 with a ton of NOS on an old Chevy steel headed BB and no electronics...old style drag car...I should have kept it...I hate selling stuff! NHRA, the crowds, rumbling V8's, and the sport is so different from Porsche stuff, so for me it is nice to get a dose of everything...
Old 06-25-2013 | 06:28 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Cool stuff Igooz.. I grew up with top fuel cars.. Dad was God back in the late 60's competeing with Don Prudhome and Tom McKewen. Was there when my Dad;s car set world low ET of 6.54. I think at Irwindale or it might have been OC raceway. Drag racing rocks..
Old 06-25-2013 | 08:26 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^it is a small world!...ask your dad if he remembers Karl Griffith (sound griffis) who ran top fuel back in the 60's with these guys in Lions, Pomona,... For a good while he was sponsored by Hooker headers and so he was called the "LA Hooker"! all of these guys had a nickname that would not be proper these days...
If your dad knows Karl I will PM you the rest of the story!!

Quick Reply: First time on dragway, Import Face Off