Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet & Dry Laps @ VIR in 997TT 6MT + Off-Roading!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 06:11 PM
NineElevenLover
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet & Dry Laps @ VIR in 997TT 6MT + Off-Roading!

Completely stock 2012 911 Turbo (manual) with OEM Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 street tires at VIR (full course).

Had a ton of fun this past Saturday at a Trackdaze event at VIR. Plenty of fast cars showed up, and what appeared to be a dreary, rainy day, turned into an amazing track day with beautiful weather. It was still raining for my first session at 9:30, but I love driving in the rain, so it didn't bother me much at all. The day was mostly uneventful until my final session. I was working my Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s extremely hard, and they would get too hot and greasy after about five laps. At that point, the car was quite a handful, but I continued to push the limits. I was pushing harder and harder in South Bend (turn 10) each lap and finally found my limits. Not necessarily the CAR's limits, but mine. Evidently I felt as if I was entering the turn a bit too hot, and let up on the throttle a bit just before the apex. The car got light and the rear end started coming around on me. I didn't correct quickly enough to stay on the asphalt, but at least I managed to prevent a spin and ride it out safely.

Top speed that I saw on the back straight was 156 mph. Fastest lap that I recorded was a 2:10.5. I believe I could pull a 2:08.xx after another session or two and with no other cars on the track.

There is one video from an in-car perspective with a data overlay. Keep in mind that the speed shown on that video is inconsistent/inaccurate/wrong because the app (Harry's Lap Timer) was using the crappy iPhone GPS sensor.

Without further adieu, here are some vids for you guys. Enjoy!

Clean Dry Lap -
Clean Wet Lap -
High-Speed Off -
Passing a GTR -
Faster Than I Am -
Chasing Down a Mean Vette -
In-Car with Data Overlay -
More Rain Laps -
Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Very glad that you had a great and safe time! I am not familiar with VIR, but it looks like a track that can favor cars with some hp? Do I see this correctly?

As far as stock PS2, I am afraid that is my experince also...as they heat up they start feeling very greasy...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I tracked my MB CLK63 AMG Black Series at VIR, it's a GREAT course! Haven't tracked my TT there yet but thinking about it. I ran Pirelli Corsa's on my BS and have new Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my TT. Should I expect better performance from my MPSS's as compared to PS2's?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:04 AM
bluecrab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great driving! Curious if you ran with Psm on or off...

Quick Reply: Wet & Dry Laps @ VIR in 997TT 6MT + Off-Roading!