aa909
Burning Brakes

congrats !!
Old 06-03-2013 | 05:35 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Argh, a few problems showed up during the PPI, one that has me quite concerned:

1. Tires are dry-rotted...
2. "Fault" in CD player. Could this be caused by the tooki bluetooth adapter?
3. ENGINE OIL LEAK on left-hand side of engine.
4. Due for 36k service (already knew this).

I'm really not sure what to make of the PPI. Seems like it wasn't all that thorough. They 'found an oil leak' and a 'fault in the cd player' yet have no idea what caused either. Otherwise they say the car checks out.

The oil leak really bothers me. Is there any common leak in these engines? Even if they fix it...it could come back. Argh.
Old 06-03-2013 | 08:49 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Depending on the company, there should be a decent report on the PPI. Typically in the PPI the issues that are identified can be dealt with, it is the stuff that they don't catch that comes and bites you later if you don't have warranty on the vehicle.

Tire and Service are "age" or "time" based items and you can negotiate them into the price. Oil leak...not sure what this is...it can be valve cover? it can be turbo oil return line? It may not be a big deal. Can the shop give you an estimate on the fix and you can negotiate it...

If you like the car, this stuff can be sorted out in a good way.
Old 06-03-2013 | 09:27 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Insist that the oil leak be fixed, fresh tires, yes the tooki set off the code. (The tooki is the best BT option btw).
Old 06-03-2013 | 10:13 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

They are definitely looking at the oil leak. I did not get a detailed report from the porsche dealer after the PPI, but I'll ask the seller if they got one or see if the porsche dealer will give me one. The seller is an aston/lamborghini dealer and service center, so they brought it back to their own shop to look into the leak.

So far the seller has been very helpful and prompt so I'm sure things will be resolved before Friday. I guess I shouldn't let these little things scare me too much and see how the seller handles them .
Old 06-03-2013 | 10:46 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roybotnik
...So far the seller has been very helpful and prompt so I'm sure things will be resolved before Friday. I guess I shouldn't let these little things scare me too much and see how the seller handles them .
EXACTLY! You are the buyer, you have the advantage here...

The seller is most likely smart enough to know that unless he trades that TT in, most private buyers will want to have a PPI done and these items negotiated/fixed!
Old 06-04-2013 | 01:23 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Bingo, all those items get fixed or discounted from the price.....or walk.
Potentially 10k.....depending on how serious the leak might be.
930s leak, 997s don't.
Old 06-04-2013 | 02:02 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Originally Posted by Igooz
EXACTLY! You are the buyer, you have the advantage here...

The seller is most likely smart enough to know that unless he trades that TT in, most private buyers will want to have a PPI done and these items negotiated/fixed!
He's buying from a Lambo dealer though, not a private seller...

I know this can happen with a Porsche dealer also, in theory, and that you can get great cars from non-Porsche dealers, but honestly when I read the posts about what "great deals" you can find at any dealer as long as it *isnt* Porsche, the first thing I thought was "lets see how the PPI turns out"

My personal experience, and of course YMMV, has been that Porsche dealers are pickier about the used cars they put on the lot and, yeah, as a result higher priced
Old 06-05-2013 | 01:02 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Talked to the dealer in more detail about it this morning.

They say the tires were made in 2010, have about 7/32 tread remaining, and that calling them 'dry-rotted' was excessive. I'll see when I get there, I'll be landing at 2:20p so I'll have plenty of time to look and talk about any issues. If they're questionable at all, I will have them replaced.

They looked at the oil leak and there was some light residue around a cam position sensor but it's not dripping, and that residue could have been building up for a long time. Anyone heard of this? They're going to give me a writeup on what they saw. I'll also ask them to show me. This sounds like it's just due to age.

Overall I'm still really optimistic. The seller did not make me pay for the PPI, so if they were trying to hide something it wouldn't make a lot of sense. I'll see first-hand on Friday!
Old 06-05-2013 | 01:47 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Tires from 2010 and 'dry-rotted' ?? That makes everything else the PPI guy says questionable.
Old 06-05-2013 | 02:35 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

7/32 is not bad (depending on tire), and a 2010 tire should not be dry rotted...at least I cannot imagine that it would be...Sounds like you are OK? GOOD LUCK!

Only FYI: The 997TT does NOT have an engine under tray. So over time, it gets a little bit grungy with normal vapors, road grimes, small leak, etc. Maybe that is what they are talking about? I put my car on the lift every 3-4 months and spend a couple of cans of brake cleaner and get the crap off...
Old 06-05-2013 | 03:12 PM
mathys
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Tires from 2010 and 'dry-rotted' ?? That makes everything else the PPI guy says questionable.
Fully agree, one of the dealers is screwing around here. Hope for you it's the P-dealer. After the PPI, did they come up with an alternative TT that happened to be on their inventory lot?
Old 06-05-2013 | 04:10 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mathys
Fully agree, one of the dealers is screwing around here. Hope for you it's the P-dealer. After the PPI, did they come up with an alternative TT that happened to be on their inventory lot?
No, but the porsche dealer said it needed 'convertible top service', which the forums seem to indicate is BS and not mentioned in maintenance manuals. When I asked for more details on the oil leak, their response was something along the lines of "they need to pay us to look into it." Nothing wrong with trying to make some bucks, but well...

We will see if these "issues" are issues at all when I go check it out on Friday.
Old 06-07-2013 | 09:47 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Just picked the car up and everything looked great to me. The car is super clean. Drives awesome!

I did notice a couple of quirks on the way over to the hotel though. For one, the clutch pedal is very stiff if I try and push it in quickly, but fine it's fine if I do it slowly. It's also super stiff when the car is off. Could this be the dreaded accumulator? Wouldn't want to get stranded on the way back home.. Anything I should check?

Also, the button to raise the spoiler doesn't work at all. Light doesn't come on, etc. However the spoiler raises just fine at speed without any weird noises or anything. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Can't wait for my road trip tomorrow, hopefully the weather clears up down here, it was raining all day today. It would be nice to be able to take some pics.

Oh and... my room number. This was just a random number they gave me, seriously!

Quick Reply: Put a deposit on a 997.1TT today