Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB important question......

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013 | 09:12 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Question PCCB important question......

had suspension installed today... and sways and so forth..

leaving the place i heard a small "whir" sound... then with an expressway wall on my left i heard that "worn brake pad sound".. pulled off road and noticed the inside dust shield driver front was "touching" the CCB Rotor... pulled it off using a 1" wide pry tool as to not damage rotor.

got up in air and flashlight on the rotor and it has "scratch marks" but honestly just are visual and with finger nails nothing catches... just scrapes against rotor.
obviously being a PCCB newb i am concerned... about 2 miles if that of wear.... but nothing "you can feel" just visual scratches..

Keep an eye on things,

or

STFU and keep driving.

Last edited by rijowysock; 05-27-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2013 | 09:46 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Put up a pic
I'd be inclined not to worry.
Old 05-15-2013 | 10:04 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

I tend to agree with TTSurgeon. And I was just under my car so I took two pictures. The bottom part of the dust shield near the lower arm is pretty flimsy (for light weight) and I can see it being pushed in -- see the photos. And these rotors are tough!

However, I am very surprised at any shop that did not test drive, or "free spin" the wheels on the lift and listen?

Post some pictures...
Attached Images   
Old 05-15-2013 | 11:33 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Not worry.
Old 05-16-2013 | 12:08 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

I'll attempt some pics. I didn't take any on the lift.

They did test drive it. BUT I think it got pushed in during the alignment. Couple people under there and maybe one had hand leaning or something.

I'll try and get pics here shortly. Thank you guys for the advice and thoughts.
Old 05-16-2013 | 12:30 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

That dust shield is pretty whimpy! I'd say forgetaboutit...your rotors are pretty tough!
Old 05-16-2013 | 12:47 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Here is best I could get. That bottom is VERY flimsy. The bottom got pushed in so the middle is what touched. I wish as soon as I heard I pried but I didn't have right tool and brakes hot.

Old 05-16-2013 | 12:48 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

I'm on phone if that doesn't work.

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...t=photo-31.jpg

The surface has no feel or change. Can't even feel a ridge with finger nail. I assume fine because of that and didnt gouge.
Old 05-16-2013 | 03:57 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Attempt at humor : that disk is completely useless , please remove immediately and I will have it picked up so I can safely recycle it.
Old 05-16-2013 | 12:22 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Attempt at humor : that disk is completely useless , please remove immediately and I will have it picked up so I can safely recycle it.
so i need to stop worrying,

i'm generally not a worry wart.. and like to be logical about things.. but first time with PCCB and 4 years reading horror stories.. also the previous owner of this vehicle had to swap all 4 rotors out at his expense because of some problems he had.... he gave me a very firm warning about "caring for pccb's" so i guess it went to my head.

steel is steel, but carbon... i'm not a carbonologist to know whats what.
Old 05-17-2013 | 01:46 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Your rotors are fine! Don't worry!
But your calipers look dirty! LOL

I have 3 cars with PCCB and over 100k miles combined. That's all I buy now. The early early ones delaminated but otherwise They are bulletproof. (unless if you are going to track the car in which case you may want swap them out save money on replacements...) I think that you are golden.
Old 05-17-2013 | 02:07 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Igooz
Your rotors are fine! Don't worry!
But your calipers look dirty! LOL

I have 3 cars with PCCB and over 100k miles combined. That's all I buy now. The early early ones delaminated but otherwise They are bulletproof. (unless if you are going to track the car in which case you may want swap them out save money on replacements...) I think that you are golden.
thank you very much for your thoughts, i love the car myself.. love the pccb... even in the rain i love which some people say otherwise..

my only qualm with the entire vehicle now is my exhaust, which i will rectify soon.. i have a weird CEL/CAT problem cause my 200 cell's but will all be resolved soon.. even went to dealer and they said "wont affect a thing but it's cause your cats... " hate seeing CEL so gotta change em around...

car's are fun, but sometimes a hassle with how complicated they are.
Old 05-17-2013 | 05:02 PM
phillipj
Drifting

You can rectify that CEL with extensions on your 02 sensor bungs. Cost you about $150 bucks.. It changes the cperamters so you wont get the CEL anymore... Common fix.. I have them on my Techart exhaust..
Old 05-17-2013 | 08:30 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

I think you should be fine.

Jay
Old 05-17-2013 | 09:27 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by phillipj
You can rectify that CEL with extensions on your 02 sensor bungs. Cost you about $150 bucks.. It changes the cperamters so you wont get the CEL anymore... Common fix.. I have them on my Techart exhaust..
my CEL is a downstream o2... so it's not getting enough air now because it has the extensions installed.. i need to remove the extensions since i have a muffler setup now i think.

Quick Reply: PCCB important question......