Sponsored by:

Access to PIWIS Service Manuals

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 AM
jweslowski
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Access to PIWIS Service Manuals

Does anyone know how to access the service manuals for the 997 Turbo? I see Porsche has them online, but you need to be from an approved company or Automobile Club. Do you think it can be accessed by PCA? Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Do you mean the PIWIS manual (Porsche Integrated Workshop Information System?) or the 997 Turbo factory service manuals?

The former is available for download from Renntech.org provided you are a member.

I do not know where the 997 Turbo factory manuals are located for downloading, or if they are even available.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 PM
jweslowski
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I am looking for is the step by step repair instructions used at the dealer service centers.

Thanks for pointing out the service manuals, which give a good technical overview of each car, are available on Renntech. This is helpful, but not what I am looking for.

I noticed that Bentley Publishers has produced a 996 Manual, but it doesn't cover the Turbo. This means that 5 years from now when they release the 997 Manual, they probably won't cover the Turbo either. I find it easier to take on a DIY project with some instructions just so I don't get in over my head.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jweslowski
What I am looking for is the step by step repair instructions used at the dealer service centers.

Thanks for pointing out the service manuals, which give a good technical overview of each car, are available on Renntech. This is helpful, but not what I am looking for.

I noticed that Bentley Publishers has produced a 996 Manual, but it doesn't cover the Turbo. This means that 5 years from now when they release the 997 Manual, they probably won't cover the Turbo either. I find it easier to take on a DIY project with some instructions just so I don't get in over my head.
You might be able to buy the factory 997 Turbo service manuals. Previously manuals for other models were available.

If they are available they are probably available in digital format only.

Also, the package probably costs a huge amount of money.

For example, the list price for the factory manuals for my 02 Boxster listed for around $3K IIRC.

I found a set on "sale" for around $300 from a dealer clearing out unsold stock from its part department and ordered a full set. I have 64lbs of 986 factory manuals under my desk at work. I also have a set of 996 Turbo OBD2 manuals and even a set of OBD2 manuals for a Carrera GT, in case win the PowerBall lottery jackpot. Twice.

Also, I have a 996 Turbo set of manuals in digital format though I do not recall where I came across these.

I have not found 997 Turbo manuals anywhere.

Best I can tell hard copies of these manuals are no longer provided. The techs have access to a digital copy from their bench workstation, along with digital copies of manuals for other models, including my Boxster and my Turbo. A few times a tech has printed out a page or two from this digital copy and given it to me to answer a question I had or to make a point about what the tech and I were talking about.

Quick Reply: Access to PIWIS Service Manuals