Sponsored by:

Europipe stage 1 or stage 2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:58 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the ep1, nothing like that 2.
Tom, if you ever want to get rid of that tubi, let me know.
c
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (07-28-2019)
Old 05-08-2014, 05:02 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either way I really enjoy the cold start sound on most of the AM ehaust including both EP versions.

As soon as I can sample a car with GMG it's yours, I'll even get it polished up for you!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

You da man!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Nice... it purrs...
Old 05-09-2014, 03:37 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
You da man!
Are those champion wheels in your avatar btw?
Old 05-09-2014, 05:53 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Yes, gp7 made by champion for pes several yrs ago. Actually, just sold them;(
Old 05-09-2014, 05:56 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, gp7 made by champion for pes several yrs ago. Actually, just sold them;(
Oh right! They looked like champions but I didn't recognize them there
Old 05-09-2014, 09:09 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

They are a super light string wheel, just wanted something different
C
Old 05-09-2014, 09:23 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With a tip, I'd stick with a ep1 or similar. Anytime a manufacturer actually says it drones, that means it drones like a ******, usually.
I would agree with you on the drone doc. Anything with drone is a non runner for me too.

I don't get what you say about "anytime a manufacturer actually says it drones" though. So far the only manufacturer I've come across honest enough to admit their system drones is Europipe with their EP2. The rest of em keep it under wraps and let you part with the hard earned letting you find that out. Sucks really.

Also agree with the EP1. For the sake of the extra 2 hp you get with EP2 you get it all anyway….no drone, noticeable power gains, great sound inside and out. Just a shame for you that you required a quieter system for the hospital car park…..totally understand you gotta work hard on keeping those patents of yours happy iykwim Bad enough you leaving em with a sore tail least of all sore ears too lol.

Now with EP2, from the ones I've heard on the Greek's cars, they are nowhere near as bad as all the others that all basically drone like ***** right throughout the entire cruising rev range making it impossible to escape. The EP2 doesn't do that so you can escape the small zone which it produces it in. And the other thing with the EP2 is at least it makes very good power, and sounds good. Can't say that about the others, unless they have a tune to compensate for what they took out in stock file trim. Not a good sign on any front frankly imho. Been there done that….not going there again. EP ticks all the right boxes for me.

Originally Posted by eurotom
Sounds great, contrary to Chris^ I like the cold start sound I wouldn't mind having it all the time at idle.

Congrats.
Yep I quite like the cold start too. Sounds very crackly. It's a pity that disappears on hot idle. That said once you stand on it, it comes back again.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:25 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I had the ep1, bought it brand new vat and all, unlike most. It's a great exhaust, sounds below average (to me and the other docs) on cold start, but otherwise good.
Sorry, but every vid clip I've heard of the ep2, frankly doesn't sound good at all, perhaps it's better in person, but I would never buy one.
I think the po may be rethinking the ep2, I'd suggest asking stef to trade for an ep1 if the drone is unbearable.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:45 AM
speed21
Banned

I had the ep1, bought it brand new vat and all, unlike most. It's a great exhaust, sounds below average (to me and the other docs) on cold start, but otherwise good.
Sorry, but every vid clip I've heard of the ep2, frankly doesn't sound good at all, perhaps it's better in person, but I would never buy one.
I think the po may be rethinking the ep2, I'd suggest asking stef to trade for an ep1 if the drone is unbearable.
I'd agree with you doc that sound clips are not the best way of measuring a true sound. Some clips can make an exhaust sound way way better than what it really is (I could quote a few examples but will spare the aggro) and on the other hand there are others which don't sound particularly brilliant on a clip that sound way better in the flesh. I think the EP1 and 2 are two cases where they both sound much much better live. That said I think anyone buying just off a clip is bound to wind up disappointed somewhere along the way. Also, it is the sound on the inside that really matters at the end of the day and whether that sound is sustainable for the driver and the occupants. That is the ultimate tell all. This is where 99% of these systems for the .1tt fall over big time.

I've had a good listen to the 2 from from travelling behind one on more than one occasion now and the 2 sounds as good as most would ever want. In so far as the interior drone of the 2 goes, in the type of driving these guys did it really did not appear to manifest itself as being a problem to be honest but that isn't saying that trundling around town wouldn't be a different story there. As is said beforehand, the EP1 ticks all the boxes without any of the drone issues so that system is a given quantity for any buyer. Sound wise I honestly didn't find the 2 (from the outside) to be that much different to the 1 anyway. So yes for the sake of the 2 extra hp that the 2 gives you over the 1 you would have to seriously question yourself do you really want to take that risk where the drone factor is concerned. I still say the drone zone of the 2 is nothing like most otter AM systems are for the .1tt car, which to me are simply not sustainable for the user (unless they have hearing problems). I can see why so many of these cars with these types of AM systems wind up as weekenders where they are taken out for short beatings…..user then comes back and takes a few Panadol and has a little lay down etc….never admits it of course due to the $ paid. The EP1 on the other hand can be used as an everyday all purpose car, long trips etc, as I think you may have found….with exception of course to the doctors car park.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:30 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Tend to agree, but while it's "new", I'd remove and exchange.......a droning exhaust will make you not want to drive the car, trust me....
Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 PM
speed21
Banned

Like yourself doc no way would I live with drone under any circumstances least of all in an expensive car like a porsche turbo. That said, again the EP2 drone is nothing near on the level as that idiotic pansy you know over on 6 with that headache factory CG. His thread was THE most ridiculous account I've ever read in living memory. Fancy dribbling on like that trying to educate the Porsche Turbo community that they can't drive their cars under 3000 rpms. Complete nonsense. Now that system of his, like most of them like it, would be un-returnable even to the manufacturer which is precisely the reason why they are so tight lipped when selling this crap. All destined for the dumpster at one point..
Old 05-10-2014, 09:57 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

No droning is acceptable, the degree of drone is irrelevant, none is acceptable, even if its europipe.
Loudness is one thing, droning is quiet another.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:31 AM
speed21
Banned

No droning is acceptable, the degree of drone is irrelevant, none is acceptable, even if its europipe.
Loudness is one thing, droning is quiet another.
I also would agree with you doc that no drone is acceptable on a car like this regardless of who makes it.. No argument with me on that. Now, that said, you have not heard an EP2, and accepting that there is drone on that system and knowing your sentiments on the old 2 can tubi which you say didn't drone (yet even Tom from CMS personally said the 2 can droned far worse than their new replacement single can system) places you somewhat n a precarious position would you not say? You see, knowing your sentiments on that old 2 can tubi I would comfortably stick my neck out and say that if you put an EP2 on you would fall in love with it. Actually doc I can tell you 100% you will because it drones less than any Tubi system for the 997tt.1 guaranteed. And then of course the power advantage and build quality of the EP2 over the tubi is night and day. So it's all good on the key fronts.

So, instead of fishing for Toms old Tubi 2 can, you should perhaps keep your eye out for an EP2. BUT, you will have to pay much more than an old tubi 2 can which shouldn't really matter because it is well worth the extra $ as it drones less yet performs infinitely better, so Im pretty sure that is the kind of thing you would want for your car.

Quick Reply: Europipe stage 1 or stage 2?