Sponsored by:

clutch differences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default clutch differences?

Yesterday I drove a 997.1 turbo and the pedal was very light compared to my 997.2 Carrera S. Silly question but is there a difference between the NA car and the turbo? Maybe it's an evolution of the 997.1 to 997.2?

Just curious.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its because 996TT and 997TT Clutchs are Assisted via the Brake Fluid System
Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Thank you!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't care for the clutch in the Turbo.....didnt feel like a real clutch.....didnt even need to travel all the way down. Seemed functionless. That's why I went with the S and PDK. Faster anyways!!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont expect to like the feel of the assisted on a quick test drive. The C2S has a more organic feel to it and is a bit heavier. The more you drive the turbo you will get a feel for the pedal though. I actually find that after a clutch bleed the pedal does feel very light but after a week it gets heavier and more organic. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe the car you drove has recently been serviced or bled...
Old 04-10-2013, 08:16 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

MY clutch feels weird and always has.. But im used to it.. After a Carrera a TT clutch is very peculiar.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by phillipj
MY clutch feels weird and always has.. But im used to it.. After a Carrera a TT clutch is very peculiar.
I'm assuming you still have the stock clutch? They feel all over the place. The harder you drive the car the worse it becomes.

I definitely find the 764 a different ballgame altogether. Much more robust and predictable in feel. In fact i often think to myself i wouldn't want anything heavier. The way mine feels is very similar to the C2S in weight and feel. I recently had it bled and i found it strange for about a week as it went really light. Now its thankfully returned to the previous feel. There is nothing wrong with the accum or slave either.....checked it.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are correct sir..,I have driven a car with your clutch and it is much better feel.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by phillipj
You are correct sir..,I have driven a car with your clutch and it is much better feel.
Then you shouldn't delay the process any further. Life's too short as they say...
Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 PM
RangerDick
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Also remember when the accumulator and slave cylinder go bad, it's major bucks to replace and to the tune of $2k for a slave incl labor. On top of that, the power steering pump cost almost double that of a non assist p/s pump. And the power steering reservoir is $700-900 when that goes bad. Which it seems it will be "when" not "IF" It is a very complex system.

I've driven many different types of manual transmission vehicles and I still will occasionally have a bad engagement. It seems like the pick up point where it engages is not always constant and changes in the pedal travel.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 PM
unagi1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread; I'm looking for a 997.1 TT 6-speed, and one of the cars I checked out in Long Island over the weekend had a heavier clutch than expected, heavier than a 997.2 Carrera S I had tried out earlier. Car was priced rather low, too...
Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

bad news, not a fan of the 991 clutch or a friends old assisted clutch, just lacks the same feel.

:-/
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 PM
speed21
Banned

^^ These items are usually covered by Porsche pro rata to the age or time the vehicle is out of warranty. They know it's hard to legally step completely away from components where an inherent fault can be proven. Maybe as the car ages beyond a given age point they will step clear completely but from what i see they (P) are still coming to the party. The new components manufactured 2009 and later don't supposedly have the issue so it's really only where they replace faulty parts with more faulty parts of the same vintage that the problem perpetuates.

In so far as the take up being unpredictable, i would agree based on personal experience that is most certainly the case with the oem clutch unit.

However, the 764 is a completely different story and is a very robust unit indeed. The feel and take up remain same regardless of very sporty driving use.

I actually rate the 764 upgrade as being one of the best upgrades (if not THE best upgrade) you can make to this car outside of a good exhaust. I found with the EP exhaust and the new 764 the car drove so well had i not already purchased a tune i probably wouldn't have bothered. The car really drove well....very slick. IMHO these two items are unquestionably the 2 single biggest improvements anyone can make to this .1tt car period....alongside a good alignment. It was some months later that i actually finally decided to load the tune and only because i had already bought it prior to the 764 being installed. In fact had it not been for the tune making the stock unit slip i would never have bought the 764. The tune only came out once the stock clutch slipped and after the new clutch was fitted there was no motivation or urgency to reload it because of the way the car performed. Although that said now i've reloaded the tune the car is definitely crazier to drive, although not really necessary given the car is ballistic enough for general street use with just the clutch and exhaust. Anyway.....just as a fwiw.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speed21
^^ These items are usually covered by Porsche pro rata to the age or time the vehicle is out of warranty. They know it's hard to legally step completely away from components where an inherent fault can be proven. Maybe as the car ages beyond a given age point they will step clear completely but from what i see they (P) are still coming to the party. The new components manufactured 2009 and later don't supposedly have the issue so it's really only where they replace faulty parts with more faulty parts of the same vintage that the problem perpetuates.

In so far as the take up being unpredictable, i would agree based on personal experience that is most certainly the case with the oem clutch unit.

However, the 764 is a completely different story and is a very robust unit indeed. The feel and take up remain same regardless of very sporty driving use.

I actually rate the 764 upgrade as being one of the best upgrades (if not THE best upgrade) you can make to this car outside of a good exhaust. I found with the EP exhaust and the new 764 the car drove so well had i not already purchased a tune i probably wouldn't have bothered. The car really drove well....very slick. IMHO these two items are unquestionably the 2 single biggest improvements anyone can make to this .1tt car period....alongside a good alignment. It was some months later that i actually finally decided to load the tune and only because i had already bought it prior to the 764 being installed. In fact had it not been for the tune making the stock unit slip i would never have bought the 764. The tune only came out once the stock clutch slipped and after the new clutch was fitted there was no motivation or urgency to reload it because of the way the car performed. Although that said now i've reloaded the tune the car is definitely crazier to drive, although not really necessary given the car is ballistic enough for general street use with just the clutch and exhaust. Anyway.....just as a fwiw.
Is this is the '764' clutch you are referencing?

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/clu-88-3082-764/
Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by nota_troll
Is this is the '764' clutch you are referencing?

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/clu-88-3082-764/
Yep. 883082999764. and 881864999973 is the clutch disc.

Quick Reply: clutch differences?