Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Move from 996tt to 997tt?
Yes
70.00%
No
30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Over from the 996tt forum...need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013 | 09:23 AM
cyk
Instructor

Default Over from the 996tt forum...need some insight

So I'm 2 years into the ownership of a pristine 22k mile, '03 996tt, with a 500hp/533tq tune, & PSS10's and while I love the car, I have the itch to have something new and am looking at 997.1 or 997.2 turbos. My current car has given me nothing but joyous motoring and not a single mechanical issue. So the question begs, should I move on to a 997tt???

Specifically, for those who have driven/owned both iterations, is the 997 dynamically so much better? With my current mods, I assume the 997 will be no faster around a track? I'm not necessarily drawn to the exterior changes, but the massive jump in interior quality certainly is appealing.

I'll be test driving one soon, but just thought I'd throw this topic out there for those who've been through it before.

Thx in advance.
Old 01-10-2013 | 12:51 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

It's a great question you ask. The 996 TT is a classic car and noted far and wide for being the BEST bang fer yer buck. That being said the styling both exterior and interior is a dated. The engines are the same Mezger GT1 block and the horsepower is not that different. The .2 gets into the DFI and the PDK territory but is questionably not as good a handling car as the .1.

I would upgrade more for aesthetic reasons but would be happy with either.

If you go for a cab then THAT is a reason to upgrade.

2 cents CND.
Old 01-10-2013 | 05:45 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

well, the .1 vs .2 dilemma is quite a big one.
Your car has more similarities with the .1 but it could be considered worlds apart from the .2. And there is the tough call. Give up that Mezger block in favor of the DFI and PDK? Would you consider a PDK or is a manual a must? If PDK is a possibility, and you SHOULD try one regardless of your preconceptions if any, then it is a very difficult decision, financially and otherwise.

Considering the mileage on your car, my thought would be wait for a used 991 TTT when the come. BUT since I know the itch to change, as I have gotten it a few times, spend as little as possible, get a .1 to carry you until the used 991 TTTs are out!

Quick Reply: Over from the 996tt forum...need some insight