Sponsored by:

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Bennnz0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission

On the verge of getting a turbo and not sure if I want a traditional 6 speed or PDK. Car will be driven daily and tracked once in a while. Are the PDK transmissions more delicate or fragile? I understand that shifts are naturally faster but is that the only advantage? Can you guys help on the little dilemma I'm having? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I made the transition from manual to PDK as PDK is the TTS transmission. Then, had the opportunity to drive a manual Turbo after becoming accustomed to the PDK. There is a huge difference! Acceleration is faster and less interrupted. Upshifts are quick with the paddles in sport or sport plus mode. The paddle shifters are much more "safe" for downshifts with me behind the wheel. I didn't like the way the clutch worked on the 2012 TT that I drove. It only required a partial depression whereas other Porshce's I've owned were more traditional. Further, there seemed to be no "feel" or feedback from the clutch pedal. I very much prefer PDK to the MT for the Turbo. I miss some of the fun of the MT...but there are many more things the PDK adds to the experience to make up for that missed fun.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Bennnz0
On the verge of getting a turbo and not sure if I want a traditional 6 speed or PDK. Car will be driven daily and tracked once in a while. Are the PDK transmissions more delicate or fragile? I understand that shifts are naturally faster but is that the only advantage? Can you guys help on the little dilemma I'm having? Thanks.
There doesn't seem to be any indication the PDK is more delicate or fragile than the standard manual (or Tip) transmission and if one takes into account the clutch of a manual transmission equipped car the PDK I think will prove to be less delicate, less fragile than a manual.

Regarding clutches... The PDK appears to have the clutch issue covered what with 2 *multi-plate* clutch packs and running in an oil bath no less so PDK clutch life should be superb, easily surpassing the clutch life of even the most long lived clutch in a manual transmission. (Based on my experience with my 02 Boxster with over 262K miles and still on its original clutch a PDK clutch could be a 500K or 600K or more miles package. IOWs, lifetime.)

Primarily the advantage PDK brings is of course the fact it is an automatic transmission. It not only handles when to shift, how to shift, but also takes care of getting the car moving from a stop and when the car comes to a stop.

The shifts happen with no drama. Thus in marginal conditions which we can't always anticipate this has to result in a safer car, less likely to get upset with sloppy shifting by a human.

The PDK can only reduce the number and magnitudes of shocks the transmission, the drive train and engine receive which is a good thing.

In intense situations it eliminates the risk of a missed shift or worse.

However, many owners do just fine with a manual transmission too.

Really the decision to get a car equipped with a PDK vs. a manual transmission is not a balance scale type of decision. Emotion plays a role.

My advice is to drive similar cars with both types of transmissions and try to mimic your usage during the test drive and see how you like the transmissions.

Now the salesman might want to you experience the neck snapping acceleration that comes after each up shift of a manual transmission and that's ok, but if your daily work commute has you slogging in stop/go traffic for an hour each way then use the car in traffic, not on some semi-deserted freeway on ramp.

Be sure to try a K u-turn, pulling up to a stop, stopping then backing up. See how much time it takes for the tranny to change directions and how smooth it does this.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Joe731
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PDK

I own a 6 speed and have driven the PDK, including on the track. My next car will very likely be PDK. If you can get over the "sports cars should have manual transmissions" stigma, you will be happy with the PDK.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
AP328
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It is a very personal decision. I have driven the PDK and a Nissan GTR and even though both are very quick shifting cars, I find that I get bored very quickly without a manual transmission. All of my cars, DD, etc., have manual transmissions so I am very used to the involvement.

The exception to the above is if the car is used primarily for track purposes, then PDK or double clutch transmission are really a cut above, and the fact that one is going at high speed, concerned with line, brake points, etc., still keeps life interesting.

To each his own.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I traded my old 997tt in on a 2011tts, bored in less than a year and bought another mt 997.1tt.
Learned a 15k lesson.....

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 01-20-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 AM
GTRNICK
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes like everyone has said!

I have driven a 650hp gtr and a pdk turbo and I have owned a MT turbo for the past 8 years and there is no substitute for the MT in my IMO (MT996tt & 997tt)

Yes the flappy paddles are fun for the moment and would be great if all you did was drive in traffic but nothing beats a gear stick and clutch for pure involvement and enjoyment which is what these cars are all about!

I think the autos are just for the lazy or not so confident driver so you might aswell get a merc if that's the case!

Remember my opinion.

You need to drive both and make your own mind up not let someone do it for you.

Quick Reply: transmission