997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fed Ex brought me a little package from Belgium

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012 | 09:21 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

It has all the panache and flare that you could ask of an exhaust. Very becoming and complimentary of a Porsche engine and what it should sound like.

Jay
Old 12-30-2012 | 09:46 PM
triblk6spd
Advanced

Very nice for sure. Europipe stuff ftw...
Old 12-30-2012 | 10:06 PM
Zero Cool
Instructor

Great feeling when it arrived huh.... Looking forward to having mine put on. Just waiting on some spark plugs....and finding someone to do it. Post some videos when you get a chance
Old 01-04-2013 | 06:33 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Hi All

Took the car down to sonic ms to have it installed yesterday. I'm super **** about how carefully folks work on my car and these guys were just as **** as me so we got off to a good start

First of all, the package of tools, nuts and bolts that Stef includes with the exhaust are excellent. The tech said the tools made the job much easier and the replacement bolts came in handy as a few of the stock bolts came off during removal of the oem exhaust.

After we got the exhaust up and running and I had a 40 mile drive back home from the shop. Here are my initial impressions of the EP1

The exhaust sound is very throaty compared to the stock system, which is exactly what I was looking for. I wouldn't say it is much louder except when you get on the throttle, in fact at idle while it's deeper it is only slightly louder than stock but as soon as you blip the pedal you get a throaty "grrrrrr" which is addictive. The turbo whistle is a first for me, never heard it before with the stock exhaust so it's kind of a fun addition

The best part are the gurgles and pops when you shift out of second and into neutral as you roll to a stop. It's also much deeper and throatier when you start in first and sounds great when you push it through the gears. The turbos come on faster and harder and the power gains are noticeable per my official butt dyno

My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is with the windows up it is not immediately distinguishable from the stock exhaust until you open up the throttle. You can here that there is more bass in the exhaust with the windows rolled up but you have to listen for it. I had the tech drive it up and down the street a few times and it sounds great, you can hear the throaty gurgles as the car zooms by.

Overall Very happy!

Next up is the softronic tune
Old 01-04-2013 | 07:08 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909
Hi All

Took the car down to sonic ms to have it installed yesterday. I'm super **** about how carefully folks work on my car and these guys were just as **** as me so we got off to a good start

First of all, the package of tools, nuts and bolts that Stef includes with the exhaust are excellent. The tech said the tools made the job much easier and the replacement bolts came in handy as a few of the stock bolts came off during removal of the oem exhaust.

After we got the exhaust up and running and I had a 40 mile drive back home from the shop. Here are my initial impressions of the EP1

The exhaust sound is very throaty compared to the stock system, which is exactly what I was looking for. I wouldn't say it is much louder except when you get on the throttle, in fact at idle while it's deeper it is only slightly louder than stock but as soon as you blip the pedal you get a throaty "grrrrrr" which is addictive. The turbo whistle is a first for me, never heard it before with the stock exhaust so it's kind of a fun addition

The best part are the gurgles and pops when you shift out of second and into neutral as you roll to a stop. It's also much deeper and throatier when you start in first and sounds great when you push it through the gears. The turbos come on faster and harder and the power gains are noticeable per my official butt dyno

My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is with the windows up it is not immediately distinguishable from the stock exhaust until you open up the throttle. You can here that there is more bass in the exhaust with the windows rolled up but you have to listen for it. I had the tech drive it up and down the street a few times and it sounds great, you can hear the throaty gurgles as the car zooms by.

Overall Very happy!

Glad you love the exhaust. If you want to add a little touch to the overall tone, add new headers and change the billet diverter valves. Not terribly costly but enhances the overall tonal resonance and complements the performance. And as for the Softronic tune I had this done last year and at close to 600HP I've renamed my car the "Black Mamba". It's truly a beast and a half. Enjoy.

Jay
Old 01-05-2013 | 03:22 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Hi All

Overall Very happy!

Great review, thanks! This is exactly what I want for a mod.
Old 01-05-2013 | 03:32 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Jay,

I hate to disagree but no tune on pump gas (on an otherwise stock TT) will get you close to 600 hp. The only way that could happen is by the tune increasing the boost parameters.. Which could be fatal for your engine (without other modifications.)

A good tune (Protomotive, Softronic etc.) with an exhaust will get you in the neighborhood of 550 to 560. Now if you have a tune that is programmed for race gas (100+ octane) then 600 is very realistic.

I go back and forth between my pump gas tune and my race gas tune.. I have the same mods as you. On race gas the car will break all four tires loose on a first gear launch. HUGE hp difference from pump gas..

No doubt your car is very quick.. But if you put it on the dyno you may be surprised by the true hp numbers (compared to what the tune makers claim.)

Hope this post is received with the respect I intended..

Your car is one of my favorites on Rennlist by the way..
Old 01-06-2013 | 03:24 AM
Zero Cool
Instructor

Hi All

Overall Very happy!

Nice review. Getting mine put on tomorrow (also changing BRV and spark plugs). Can not wait to hear this for myself.
Old 01-06-2013 | 10:21 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zero Cool
Nice review. Getting mine put on tomorrow (also changing BRV and spark plugs). Can not wait to hear this for myself.
What's the mileage on your car for a spark plug change. I was under the impression it's a 30k service. Thanks
Old 01-07-2013 | 02:42 AM
Zero Cool
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
What's the mileage on your car for a spark plug change. I was under the impression it's a 30k service. Thanks
Mine has 22.6k but I'm adding a softonic tune so decided to change the plugs while the exhaust was off.
Old 01-07-2013 | 09:43 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Mine has 22.6k but I'm adding a softonic tune so decided to change the plugs while the exhaust was off.
If you can, let me know how they look when they are removed. Thanks
Old 01-07-2013 | 09:57 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Smart move. Tell the wife you got the exhaust installed for free.
Old 01-07-2013 | 11:51 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

smart move. I had my plugs changed at the same mileage as you when I bought the car and the tech showed me the plugs, they were in nearly perfect condition. He said it could have gone 40K easily but this is really dependent on the driving style of the owner.

I'm also doing the softronic tune but my new plugs only have 1000 miles on them so I'm going to run with them until the summer (assuming they last) and upgrade them during my next normal service interval in July

BTW which plugs are you installing? and let us know the condition of you stock plugs

Art
Old 01-08-2013 | 05:17 PM
Zero Cool
Instructor

smart move. I had my plugs changed at the same mileage as you when I bought the car and the tech showed me the plugs, they were in nearly perfect condition. He said it could have gone 40K easily but this is really dependent on the driving style of the owner.

I'm also doing the softronic tune but my new plugs only have 1000 miles on them so I'm going to run with them until the summer (assuming they last) and upgrade them during my next normal service interval in July

BTW which plugs are you installing? and let us know the condition of you stock plugs

Art
Well got everything done. Definitely easier to do the plugs with the exhaust off. I went with the NGK Iridium IX plugs (purchased from Vivid). The stock plugs did not look bad at all (see pic). I have not had a chance to really appreciate the new system given all the rain we have been having but love the cold startup. More to come (hopefully some vids as well)
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2013 | 12:27 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Great feeling when it arrived huh.... Looking forward to having mine put on. Just waiting on some spark plugs....and finding someone to do it. Post some videos when you get a chance
Hey ZC! Alohoa! I'm on the Big Island for the next couple of days. Where are you? If you are HERE come pick me up for a jam around the island. Would love to meet you and see your car.

Joel (howley)

Quick Reply: Fed Ex brought me a little package from Belgium