Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 to 997.2 Steering wheel Swap Done!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 12:30 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by monster1
A bit of a thread resurrection here!

I am attempting to fit a 997.2 steering wheel (the same as eurotom's) onto my 997.1 - I have a multifunction wheel and appropriate airbag and I am just trying to understand how it all goes together before I attempt the fit onto the car.

When I slide the airbag into the wheel, it locates as it should within the wire frame which springs back around the lugs to secure the airbag, and the two springs are in place and exerting some pressure on the underside of the airbag unit.

What is concerning me is that when I press the airbag as if to activate the horn, the airbag is stiff to push and then will not return easily back into place afterwards. Its almost as if the two springs under the airbag are not powerful enough to return it to position.

I have ensured the little wiring loom is sitting in its groove and I don't think anything is fouling!

Does anyone have any ideas? or could anyone explain how the horn is supposed to work on this type of steering wheel?

thanks

I have not compared spring mechanisms but my horn would stick a bit upon depression so you would have an extended "beep"
Old 04-25-2015, 12:33 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Eurotom
Would this one from a gt3 fit my turbo?
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2015, 07:17 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Not Eurotom but can tell you that wheel is a straight swap.
You need the newer style round airbag of course and if the original wheel is non MF you'll need to activate that feature in order for the new horn to work.

Airbag takes patience to install correct as wires easily prevent smooth horn operation, patience is a virtue.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:32 AM
boxster-r
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Not Eurotom but can tell you that wheel is a straight swap.
You need the newer style round airbag of course and if the original wheel is non MF you'll need to activate that feature in order for the new horn to work.

Airbag takes patience to install correct as wires easily prevent smooth horn operation, patience is a virtue.
As far as I understood, the "old" airbag from the 997.1 will fit, but you need a 997.2 airbag housing. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Unfortunately there are some housings available, but only in vinyl (no leather).
Old 04-25-2015, 09:19 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by boxster-r
As far as I understood, the "old" airbag from the 997.1 will fit, but you need a 997.2 airbag housing. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Unfortunately there are some housings available, but only in vinyl (no leather).
Well the 997.2 airbag is referred to as a "Gen 2" airbag and has a different part number so I'd be concerned about trying to stuff a "Gen 1" airbag into a "Gen 2" housing.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:26 AM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The airbag with the vein running down the center wont fit in a .2 wheel. I thought it might fit also until I tried. If yours doesn't have the vein (or separation line) it may be possible.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:41 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TTSurgeon yes it will work, you'll need a new airbag as others have mentioned. There has been some debate over horn functionality. For some it was "plug and play" for others it required "steering wheel electronics" (see post 27).

A friend did the same swap as me without issue, note he did not have a MF wheel.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:22 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the current round airbag without mf, I was hoping it would be a direct plug n play.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2015, 03:51 PM
ctony66
Racer

I'm pretty sure that's the wrong airbag. You can tell by either looking to see if there is a visible line from top to bottom or pop it out and see if the plastic surround comes off with it.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:26 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Almost Chris, like on mine the steering wheel is a straight swap. Easy !

But you have to buy a new round airbag , back in 2012 I found mine over ebay.

This is what you need :
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=997ttman2

Sometimes you can find them used :
http://www.caymanpartsdirect.com/DRI...089-11-A03.htm

Very easy to install both wheel and airbag.

After it's in you go to your friendly Porsche dealer and request he activates 'multi function steering wheel' through Piwis.
Disregard the frowns and disbelief, just ask nice and smile. After that your horn will work and off you go

Maybe, I do not know, you can just buy a new airbag cover and use your old airbag in this new cover. I never tried nor would I by inclined to do so. But maybe someone in your circle of friends can ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-PA...-/181544294624
Old 04-26-2015, 02:37 PM
monster1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom, The Beanster, thanks for that. Ive sorted it now, the airbag unit is sliding nicely within the wheel and horn works, I ended up having to add silicone grease in the contact areas and thats done the trick - very poor design though imho! wheel looks and feels great though!
Old 04-28-2015, 11:15 AM
david997.2
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ive got a 997.2 2010 GTS steering wheel and airbag. I bought it from Suncoastparts. suncoastparts said itll work for my 2009 997.2 c2s MT, but the porsche dealer couldn't make the airbag work... Has anyone been in this situation?
If I cannot make it work, I'd like to sell it.
Its a GTS Alcantara steering wheel, Black airbag with control module.
Attached Images   
Old 04-28-2015, 12:11 PM
ctony66
Racer

How do you know the airbag isn't working? Do you have a light on? Did you change the control module in the column? That is how the piwis talks to the steering wheel.
Cheers
Old 04-28-2015, 02:35 PM
david997.2
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went to my local Porsche dealer to get this swap. The steering wheel fits, but the airbag sends the wrong codes or doesn't want to work with the car. My dash becomes a Christmas tree... The airbag that fits this GTS wheel works with 2010-2012 models for some reason.. My car is 2009, which is the 997.2, but not sure why the airbag isn't working with 2009 models only 2010+... Before I ordered this steering wheel & airbag, I've called suncoastparts and told them that I've got a 2009 C2S MT, and they told me that this steering + airbag will work & that I'd need a control module... When I was at the Porsche dealership they told me the airbag doesn't work nor the control module re-coding.. so i called suncoastparts, so they can talk to the Porsche technicians and figure it out... which they couldn't... Suncoastparts said " We'll do more research and call you back" .. which they didn't... And now suncoastparts doesn't want this stuff back, so I'm stuck with this ... Not sure what to do..
Old 04-28-2015, 03:54 PM
ctony66
Racer

Sounds odd to me. I know the 09 module wont work but the module for that year wheel should. I did the swap myself (with a paddle wheel) and they couldn't code it until I changed the module. The module is not a two second swap it takes a bit of time to install. Maybe they didn't swap it or you got the wrong one. After the module swap different options came up in the piwis system and they were able to code the horn and airbag. Do you have an indy shop near you. I would try that rout first if you really want the wheel.
Hope this helps
Cheers

Quick Reply: 997.1 to 997.2 Steering wheel Swap Done!