Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 to 997.2 Steering wheel Swap Done!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 03:03 AM
ThreeSixNine
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Just received my wheel. Waiting on airbag and then will try it. 997.1 for 6 speed manual, no module.

The following users liked this post:
myw (11-30-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 09:43 AM
turb0
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lester53
I could use an assist on this. I have a 2007 997.1 TT tiptronic.

If I've followed correctly, the following wheel should work: 991.347.803.34 A34? Do I have that correct.

I will also need: 1) appropriate airbag and 2) a control module (Haven't had a chance to find the appropriate part numbers).
Mine is not MF, so no need for the GPS module?

It will need to be programmed. That can be done by dealer or indie with piwis or I might be able to do it with Foxwell NT530?

Does that sum it up?
Same situation here.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:24 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Where's the current cheapest place to buy a control module (997-613-289-01) - my used one seems to be faulting so I am going to buy a new module.

At a glance it seems to be around $350 for a new one from Porsche.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:18 PM
997turboFIN
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys,

Is there a guide how to change steering control module? Also is coding possible with durametric pro?
Old 07-09-2020, 07:26 PM
TxTurboBill
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no guide, but I did see an exploded view drawing a while ago. The module swap is not bad at all, once you remove the stalk assembly the module is accessible. Module can only be programmed at dealership.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:26 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

A guide from an old post on another site. Unfortunately the pictures are no longer available but it should be relatively straight forward.

Tools Needed:

Small flat blade and/or torx screwdriver or punch
M-12 triple square drive and socket wrench with extension
T-8 and T-10 screwdrivers
4 mm hex key
New steering wheel screw (PN: 910-207-01) or Loctite / thread locker
Torque wrench
Steering Control Module PN: 997-613-289-01

PROCEDURE:

1. Turn key in ignition to position to unlock the steering wheel. Make sure front wheels and steering wheel are aligned straight ahead. Turn off ignition key. Then disconnect the battery (negative/ground lead is sufficient). You should then wait at least one minute to allow for airbag system to be completely disarmed, before you proceed to remove the airbag.

2. Remove Airbag. There is a small hole in the bottom of Porsche steering wheels that is used to release the airbag. Insert a small flat blade or torx screwdriver, or a punch into the hole until you hit some resistance about 1" in. This is the bottom of the spring-loaded wire retainer that latches onto the airbag from the rear. You must push up on it to release the airbag. If you are using a flat blade screwdriver, make sure the blade edge is oriented fore and aft, since you are trying to hit the spring wire going across the bottom. Depending on the quality of the springs behind your airbag, it may just pop free easily, or you may have to pull and/or wiggle it a bit to get it to come free.

3. Disconnect Airbag - Once it is free from the steering wheel, you will see two colored wire connectors (green and yellow) connecting the bag to the steering wheel harness. You must pry up the locking tabs with a small screwdriver to remove them. Disconnect the horn wire by pressing on the small locking tab on its connector, and the airbag is now free. Set it aside in a safe area.

The horn wire connector is shown below - the newer model round airbags only have a single ground wire connection, which is probably why the horn won't work unless you change the control module also.

4. Remove Steering Wheel - First, disconnect the harness connector inside hub. Then, using a M12 triple-square drive (which I bought at a local Autozone) with 1/2" socket and ratchet, remove the screw holding the steering wheel in place. Note: the OEM screw has a micro-encapsulated coating which acts as a thread locker, so breaking it free may require some strength, and you have to hold counter-rotation on the steering wheel.

You can see the "micro-encapsulated" coating on the steering wheel screw below:

For those who are just swapping a steering wheel by itself, you can then proceed to Step 8. If you are upgrading a Tiptronic to paddle-shift steering wheel, you must now remove and replace the module which is located in the steering column.

5. Removing the steering electronics control - First, remove the steering column trim: there are 3 small recesses on the bottom of the steering column concealing T-10 screws (circled in red below) - remove all 3 screws. There is an additional retaining clip on the inboard side which holds the upper and lower halves together - I didn't bother to figure out how to release it. The shop manual diagrams show the trim completely removed, but I was able to remove the whole steering control unit by opening the 2 halves like a clam shell. You must also loosen the retaining screw (4 mm hex drive circled in blue) which holds the steering unit in place (Note: it isn't necessary to completely remove it). Finally, there are 2 wiring harness connectors (yellow airbag and black electrical) on the top, back of the control unit that must be disconnected using a small screwdriver to press the release tabs, before you can pull the steering unit off of the steering column.

Use a 4 mm hex wrench to remove the retaining screw on the bottom of the steering control unit.

6. Replacing the control module - Take the whole steering unit to a workbench or area where you can work on it. The module your are replacing is on the back (i.e. towards the front of the car) of the steering unit. It is held in place by 5 torx screws which are concealed by the airbag contact unit on the front (closer to driver) part of the unit - so this must be removed first. It is held in place by 5 small retaining tabs (2 on top, 1 on each side, and 1 on the bottom). Carefully pry up the tabs while pulling the airbag contact unit away from the rest of the unit, until you are able to separate the whole thing. You will now see the screws (circled in red below) that you must remove to disconnect the electronic module. You may now connect your new module, making sure to fully seat all electronic connectors, and reassemble the steering unit in reverse order.

NOTE: The shop manual emphasizes the importance of keeping the small triangular pointer (circled in red above) on the face of the airbag contact unit, aligned between the 2 curvilinear markings on the plastic (indicated by red arrows) during the whole process of removal and re-installation, or you may cause failure of the airbag when re-installed improperly.

You must disconnect the connector circled below on the control unit, prior to removal.

The locations of the 5 T-8 screws holding the control module to the rest of the steering unit are shown below.

7. Replace the steering unit - being careful to reconnect the 2 wiring connectors, slide the module back onto the steering column until it is as far forward as it can go, and re-tighten the 4mm hex retaining screw at the bottom of the column. Replace or reposition the upper and lower halves of the steering wheel trim to make sure it is all buttoned-up properly, and replace the 3 small torx screws from the bottom.

8 Replace the steering wheel - Slide your steering wheel onto the column taking care to make sure it is aligned to the straight-ahead position. If you are off by even 1 notch on the connector, it is pretty noticeable when you start driving (don't ask how I know).
It is recommended that you replace the used steering wheel screw with a new one, because of the one-time use micro-encapsulated coating. I elected to use some blue (non-permanent) thread-locker instead. Applying counter-rotation to the wheel, tighten the screw to 37 ft/lbs of torque.

9. Replace the airbag - First, connect the electrical wiring harness connector in the back of the hub, then connect the 3 wire connectors (yellow and blue airbag connectors and horn ground wire). Making sure that you have the airbag oriented correctly, push it back into the steering hub until it clicks into place.

10. Making it work - Unfortunately, this is where this falls short of a complete DIY project (unless you have access to a PIWIS computer). I had hoped that I would be able to activate the steering wheel with my Durametric Professional cable, but unfortunately, it wouldn't recognize the new control module,and it appears from the shop manual that some additional programming is involved whenever you change the electronic control module. I was able to re-calibrate the steering angle sensor, and clear an error code created by the swap; however, the paddles wouldn't work.

Steering Wheel Coding:

1. Select "special functions" or F7 "Additional Menu" and do a "vehicle handover".

2. The "vehicle handover" runs automatically. When prompted if the car is new, select "no" and then confirm your chassis number (VIN). The "vehicle handover" is needed for recognizing your new steering wheel unit, so that all other control modules are able to communicate with it. If vehicle handover doesn't succeed, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait 5-10 minutes, then reconnect and try the vehicle handover in PIWIS again.

3. Select to "steering col. switch" unit and read and erase all fault memories. Then switch to "codings" and set "Automatic (Tiptronic/PDK)" and "PDK" (both!) to "installed". Also set "Multi-function or Sport/Launch display" and all your other values to "installed" if the car is equipped with them (for example speed control system).

4. Then select "PSM" unit and read and erase all fault memories. After that read your security code (The security code is read under "Actual values") and do a steering-wheel-sensor-calibration (security code is needed here). Some vehicles need to "re-calibrate the Steering wheel sensor" in order to avoid PSM faults.

5. Erase all fault memories.
defunct_neurons (03-25-2023)
Old 07-13-2020, 04:33 PM
997turboFIN
AutoX

Exclamation

So I made the swap with new control module (Havent activated anything with Piwis yet, will go to dealer tomorrow) and new steering wheel which has gpsadapter inside. Car is 997.1 Turbo with Macan steering wheel with PDS paddles.

I´m now getting quite a lot of faults, I will list them below. I think this because new steering module hasn´t been activated or have I ****ed up something

PSM
4443 Steering-angle sensor not calibrated
5400 Fault sport mode

PTM
C202 Fault PSM control unit (display)

PASM
C203 Fault steering wheel electronics control unit (drive)

AWS / Steering column electronics
80FF Coding
C132 Communication air conditioning regular control unit (comf)

PAS
8004 Terminal 50

Should these all be gone tomorrow after visiting dealer or what do you guys think?

Old 07-13-2020, 06:42 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

I think they’ll all clear after the new module is coded to the car Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:07 PM
997turboFIN
AutoX

Originally Posted by nzskater
I think they’ll all clear after the new module is coded to the car Let us know how it goes.
So actually all went fine after programming, pdk-paddles work and also all the buttons on steering wheel are working 100%.

But today I got fault on airbags, I read the codes and was able to clear them. But it looks like there is something wrong in the car, since I never had these codes before..

Fault codes:

PAS
8004 Terminal 50

Airbag - POSIP
805A Passengers front sensor no communication
C152 Communication PSM control unit (drive)

AWS
C132 Communication air conditioning regulation control unit (comf.)

Any idea on these? I havent touched passengers side so wondering why its giving fault there..

Wheel looks mint tho

jayi836 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 05:38 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

8004 and C152 can be ignored. I’ve also seen those errors via the durametric, Long before I put in the new wheel, but never on PIWIS.

You tried clearing the faults via the durametric, did they come back?
Old 07-22-2020, 03:18 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeSixNine
Just received my wheel. Waiting on airbag and then will try it. 997.1 for 6 speed manual, no module.

Awesome looking wheel! Was this the ebay one?
jayi836 (07-22-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 10:45 PM
redefinedm3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old post I know, BUT I am having an issue I think. The new wheel doesn't go on as far as the old wheel. It actually looks like the spline part of the wheel is deeper on the new one. Has nobody had this issue? Did I somehow get the wrong wheel? I already swapped the new electronic part out, but the wheel just doesn't sit back on as far as the factory one.

Stock Wheel:

New Wheel:

Old 10-09-2020, 06:58 AM
Gavc
Track Day

Hey guys,
I just did this swap on my 2009 non multifunction triangle 997.2 model to a Macan multifunction, new airbag and GPS unit.
On connecting the battery the horn just keeps sounding. There is no way to stop it, the horn isn't depressed, in face I tried powering on with the airbag sitting on top of the steering wheel (not locked in) and it still sounds.
Any ideas?
Old 10-09-2020, 09:45 AM
Gavc
Track Day

Fixed it!, the horn mechanism had a short!
Needsdecaf (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 10:40 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Is the newer 991.2 / macan / panamera wheel any smaller in diameter than the Sport wheel with paddles in the 997.2?

Quick Reply: 997.1 to 997.2 Steering wheel Swap Done!