Sponsored by:

Kline exhaust review.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kline exhaust review.

As promised I thought it was about time I put together a few words in relation to my Exhaust upgrade on the Turbo.

The first thing I want to say is this review is info for fellow Turbo owner's contemplating an exhaust upgrade and is subjective.

The topic of aftermarket sytems' for the Turbo is much publicised and every man and his dog has an opinion. The standard system for me was acceptable but I did hanker after an improved sound. My car is absolutely as it left the factory and I had no intention of fitting a system that required an ECU remap or the like. Similarly the system had to be emmission compliant so no cat delete or CEL inducing set up's.

I began researching opinion in various forums a couple of months ago a quickly established finding a system that sounded better than O/E but wasn't unbearably loud, didn't adversely affect engine performance and didn't provoke any engine warning light's wasn't going to be straight forward.

One system that lot's of owner's raved about -although there were those that had them fitted and subsequently changed - was the Europipe. I liked the fact nobody that fitted one reported any drone. I recently ran a supercharged Exige with a sport's exhaust and I would describe it as unbearable for road use.

The cost of the E/P proved prohibitive to me. This statement does not mean I think the E/P is not worth it's price tag it merely means all things considered it was more than I was willing to spend. E/P out of the running left a glut of manufacturers, all making similar claim's, similar prices.

One system which was slightly cheaper than it's mainstream rivals and looked well put together was the Kline system. I had never heard of them before but was intrigued enough to scrutinise the product further.

Visually it looked well put together, was made of 304 grade stainless, was half the weight of the O/E system and Kline gauranteed me the 200 cell cats would not trigger engine lights. An added bonus was the claimed 30 BHP with no loss of bottom end torque. This was a bonus if accurate as I was happy with an improved sound. I then read of an established tuner that fitted a couple of Kline systems to customers cars that were dyno'd straight after with promising results (apparently)!

Anyway, I listened to the decatted Kline system on youtube and my descision was made. The O/E system was a pig to come off with me resorting to grinding the nuts of the cats in the end.

I bolted the 200 cell Kline cats to the Turbo's first and realised I should have left it all loose before connecting the rest of the system in case the dimensions were slightly out. Thankfully the Kline system was very well designed and executed with the whole lot proving to be mm perfect. The two stainless strap's fitted over the back of the carrier plate perfectly and lined up square down the front of the mufflers providing excellent support for the system centrally.

On start up I was initially a little dissapointed with an exhaust note that I would describe as subtle - almost standard, but as I listened I realised it did have a deeper tone. Out on the road the car sounds slightly "bassier" than stock. Road noise from the tyres still dominates low revs cruising but the sound is more distinct than O/E. Mid to high end revs is when the engine note is most pronounced and again not massively more audible than stock but different, raspier, more flat six wail etc - pleasant if you are a petrol head!

I haven't driven far enough due to weather conditions to formulate a conclusive opinion but so far I am very, very pleased with the Kline system. From inside the car I was happy enough but I got out and let my wife drive round in a loop at the local ski centre and I was delighted with the sound outside the car. She accelerated through second and third (as best she could) both going away, and coming towards me and the sound was glorious (IMO)! this was when I realised I was happy with my choice.

Powerwise I can believe the HP claims, The acceleration felt savage and particularly sharp 4000 revs on. In saying that I haven't driven it for a while and the ambient temps are very low which as we all know is conducive to improved performance in forced induction engines.

I would say with confidence performance is enhanced, definitely not reduced. I tried the car out without the overboosting sports mode initially and never felt the need to switch it on - definite improvement in performance feel. I would be flabberghasted to see it on a dyno and still producing stock figures but it could just be the conditions as I have said.

When I had the overboost mode retro fitted most owners told me they could clearly appreciate the difference between sports mode on and off. I would say this upgrade was far more more discernable instantly, unless my mind is playing tricks on me!

So far so good then, as far as my new Kline exhaust is concerned. When the roads clear up I will get a better chance to look at things more closely but initial impression's are positive. Could I recommend someone else spend their hard earned on a Kline system? Absolutely not! Too many variables and different opinions out there! You pay your money and take your chance!

Hope this helps someone out there!

R
Old 12-18-2012, 01:29 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

How much was your system? Appreciate the review and like you, I hate to tinker with perfection.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

The system was actually a gift so I didn't pay for it with my own money although I was on a buget as to roughly how much was spent. I believe the MD of Kline has intimated on here that he is willing to offer an introductory price for anyone on the forum wanting to order one before Christmas. Either Felix or Chris from Kline will be able to confirm, drop them a line.

R.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the update and thorough write up!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Ok got my quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by atcbi5
How much was your system? Appreciate the review and like you, I hate to tinker with perfection.
.....the stock 997.1tt exhaust is a long way from being perfect. The rest of the car is perfectly fine.....give or take the odd minor tweak.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 AM
speed21
Banned

Glad to hear it worked out Glenmhor 1. Would like more of an impression of how it sounds around 1800 to 3000rpm trundling around town.

PS.Do i detect there is an issue with it being too tame/lame? .....although at least you can feel the performance benefit so that's definitely a worthwhile gain mindful so many of these AM systems actually remove it without adding a tune.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Originally Posted by speed21
Glad to hear it worked out Glenmhor 1. Would like more of an impression of how it sounds around 1800 to 3000rpm trundling around town.

PS.Do i detect there is an issue with it being too tame/lame? .....although at least you can feel the performance benefit so that's definitely a worthwhile gain mindful so many of these AM systems actually remove it without adding a tune.
I actually thought that it was tame when I first started it but it was just panic after all the work!! So glad I opted to do it myself, my I/C's and pipework didn't even have a smear of residue so well chuffed at that.

Between the revs you quote the car is still civilised but more noticable if that makes sense. When my wife drove the car I was surprised by how good it sounded outside the car, I'm glad I decided to have her do that as I genuinely had no idea it sounded like it does! I think this was the most pleasing aspect for me. One of my mates had a Tubi on his GT3 and I hated the sound, it was just expensive earache IMO.

The power thing really worried me because I sold a very fast Gen 2 3.8 with PDK for the thrust of the mezger unit and would be horrified to have good money spent to reduce or adversely affect that. As I said to someone else I had the sports mode retro fitted by OPC and when I tried it I was unsure whether or not there actually was a difference.

When I floored the pedal for the first time (second gear) with the Kline system on the power felt viscious. I thought it was just because temps were so low and the fact I had been running around in my wife's car for a couple of week's previous. The more I drove the car the more I realised the performance was definitely not reduced but was sure it was a harder delivery. Even in the higher gears it just felt sharp right up the rev's.

I am usually very hard to please and highly suspicious but was convinced enough to drive home with a smile on my face and I didn't even touch the overboost button throughout! I was 50% more convinced by the performance post system change than I was with the overboost function when that was done.

So far so good, fingers crossed it's not all the freezing temps, we shall see. If i ever get the chance to sample a car with an E/P I would jump at it. This is the problem with where I live it's quite rural with no owners clubs/meets, locally so little opportunity!

On The point of heat shields the back plates of the O/E system could be fixed into the bracket that supports the system with a bit of imagination.

Regards

Rob
Old 12-20-2012, 04:05 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm so glad you're happy with the exhaust Rob.. Nice job on the stubborn install.. Can't wait to hear more..
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Hi Rob
I am close to ordering one for my 996turbo.
Did you have a ECU remap done as well as the exhaust.
Does it drone below 3500rpm's at say cruising speed.
Regards
Jim
Melbourne
Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Hi Jim,

No remap, car standard but have had jap cars remapped to great effect but won't be touching the 997. My system has the 200 cel cats. Can't comment on drone because everyone's definition of drone is different. Definitely more aware of the sound above the O/E but hardly any noisier than standard.

I am going to do a Youtube clip as soon as the weather is good enough to get the car out. You will get a better idea from that.

R.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks Glenmhor
Sounds like you are very happy with it and is not overbearing.
Would you say it's a lot more raspy sounding.
Looking forward to your video clip.
Regards
Jim
Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Genuinely difficult to describe and it's been a while since I've heard it myself. Far deeper tone on idle from memory and harsher up top. Amplified O/E is probably fair description. I don't want to give the wrong impression as others tend to take positive comments as absolute recommendations. I can say with complete honesty that I am very pleased at this moment. Need to get out and do a bit more driving see if that changes.

R.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Porsche-Spy
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Glenmhor,

Now that summer is here, how are you finding your Kline ?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM
speed21
Banned

Check 9th post down.... seems not everyone is in love.
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=74321&start=15

Quick Reply: Kline exhaust review.