Sponsored by:

997 TTS modifications

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:55 AM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 997 TTS modifications

Well. I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later. I've decided to initiate the process of modifications to my 2012 TTS.

I aim to prep the car for some good handling trips thru the twisty roads of the Sierras and on the coast, to enhance performance, to enhance aesthetics, and to ultimately prepare for an occasional track day.

The side markers are now clear. Isn't that the place to start?!!

Next, I will start with the Bilstein coilover suspension kit and camber plates as written about by GMP in a previous thread.

At some point, I'll add the adjustable arms for the rear wheels. How many would suggest this be done at this time?

I'll soon add the 997 Aerokit as the wing appeals to me more than does the stock spoiler.

Thereafter, I'll evaluate exhaust systems. I've considered the GMG exhaust and tuning those guys have suggested. Waiting on a response to my inquiries.

I'm leaving the wheels alone as I rather much like them.

What modifications have you accomplished. What would you recommend?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:22 AM
drvik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I strongly recommend the Europipe exhaust. The catalytic converters are a point of restriction in the exhaust system that reduces the flow through the engine. The EP has very large diameter cats made up of a looser matrix (100cpsi) which allows the exhaust gases to escape easier and minimises backpressure which allows the engine to keep making power. I have observed boost coming on much earlier since installing mine. Most other exhausts that boast 100cpcsi cats actually use much smaller ones that don't have the surface area to 'clean' the exhaust fumes properly and so the CEL will be triggered. With a Europipe this will not occur. An aftermarket ECU flash can be created to ignore this sensor but I understand in the US you guys have to pass some sort of smog tests, so this may be an issue for you.

The Europipe also has one of the nicest sounds I think. There are a few videos around and I have made one between a stock turbo and mine to give you an idea of the sort of improvement you could expect.

I hope that helps. As I've said to others before, if I bought a new turbo the first thing I would do again is to stick a Europipe on it.

Good luck!

drvik
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

You don't need to change the rear lower control arm. For track alignment you can get more than enough camber from the stock arm. The font lower control arms will need to be changed in order to add shims to get more than -1 camber which you will need for the track and especially for r-compound tires.
The B16 Damptronic Bilstiens which are height adjustable but retain PASM button control will be awesome.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drvik
I strongly recommend the Europipe exhaust. The catalytic converters are a point of restriction in the exhaust system that reduces the flow through the engine. The EP has very large diameter cats made up of a looser matrix (100cpsi) which allows the exhaust gases to escape easier and minimises backpressure which allows the engine to keep making power. I have observed boost coming on much earlier since installing mine. Most other exhausts that boast 100cpcsi cats actually use much smaller ones that don't have the surface area to 'clean' the exhaust fumes properly and so the CEL will be triggered. With a Europipe this will not occur. An aftermarket ECU flash can be created to ignore this sensor but I understand in the US you guys have to pass some sort of smog tests, so this may be an issue for you.

The Europipe also has one of the nicest sounds I think. There are a few videos around and I have made one between a stock turbo and mine to give you an idea of the sort of improvement you could expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D22xta9mjuM

I hope that helps. As I've said to others before, if I bought a new turbo the first thing I would do again is to stick a Europipe on it.

Good luck!

drvik
Finally I get to hear an EP!!. Sounds awesome! Very nice throaty sound and I love the whistle of the turbos..
Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Most other exhausts that boast 100cpcsi cats actually use much smaller ones that don't have the surface area to 'clean' the exhaust fumes properly and so the CEL will be triggered. With a Europipe this will not occur. An aftermarket ECU flash can be created to ignore this sensor but I understand in the US you guys have to pass some sort of smog tests, so this may be an issue for you.
drvik
I understood that the CEL came on with 100 cell cats and stock programming because the reduced back pressure allowed more exhaust flow and it went out of range of the standard program, nothing to do with emissions "cleanliness"

With a new ECU program the range can be extended to allow for the extra flow and keep the CEL off, nothing to do with ignoring any sensors ?

Europipe definitely one of the very best exhausts out there tho
Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

Getting my 911 tuning 3" with 100 cell cats installed on monday....hoping for no cel but will eventually do a tune anyhow.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 AM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting the video. What do you think about the sound at 80 mph on the freeway. Is the interior cabin noise much greater with Europipe? Is there a drone sound? Any change in horsepower?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I understood that the CEL came on with 100 cell cats and stock programming
Not with Europipe ! My car is 100% stock and no cell and there are many more with Europipe and no tune.

Question OT, is your car officially a 2+2 or still a 2 seater on paper ? I love the GT2 but need the back seats just like you.
Always wondered how you did it ?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D22xta9mjuM

Good luck!

drvik
Great demo - tx.

Quick Reply: 997 TTS modifications