Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone else have this problem: Auto dimming dash lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 AM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Does anyone else have this problem: Auto dimming dash lights?

I started the car this morning (after letting it sit for about 5 days connected to a trickle charger) and turned on the lights. Started driving and then the dash lights would dim to nothing but the needle/tach lights would still be on. I tried the combination of turning on my headlights, foglights and all the other lights work... it's just my dash light would go dim intermittently... and then come back on sporadically. Any one else have experience this issue? Thanks

Edwin

Last edited by m32; 10-26-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:40 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

What kind of trickle charger? Some trickle chargers will invert polarity just for a microsecond. Negative Pulse Charging Used in conjunction with pulse charging, it applies a very short discharge pulse, typically 2 to 3 times the charging current for 5 milliseconds, during the charging rest period to depolarise the cell. These pulses dislodge any gas bubbles which have built up on the electrodes during fast charging, speeding up the stabilisation process and hence the overall charging process. The release and diffusion of the gas bubbles is known as "burping". Controversial claims have been made for the improvements in both the charge rate and the battery lifetime as well as for the removal of dendrites made possible by this technique. The least that can be said is that "it does not damage the battery". The problem is that the charger is hooked up to your system. The negative pulse could have had an effect on other circuits in your car. Our later Porsche models use Can Bus hi and lo signals to navigate or talk to modules, gateway, etc. Make sure your charger is a float type. It should say it in the box. I use the battery tender it's a float charger not trickle. It's ideal for lead acid batteries( car batteries). Stay away from pulse chargers!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Was there still some daylight? Mine "auto dim" when there is still a lot of ambient light..
Old 10-26-2012, 02:18 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
What kind of trickle charger? Some trickle chargers will invert polarity just for a microsecond. Negative Pulse Charging Used in conjunction with pulse charging, it applies a very short discharge pulse, typically 2 to 3 times the charging current for 5 milliseconds, during the charging rest period to depolarise the cell. These pulses dislodge any gas bubbles which have built up on the electrodes during fast charging, speeding up the stabilisation process and hence the overall charging process. The release and diffusion of the gas bubbles is known as "burping". Controversial claims have been made for the improvements in both the charge rate and the battery lifetime as well as for the removal of dendrites made possible by this technique. The least that can be said is that "it does not damage the battery". The problem is that the charger is hooked up to your system. The negative pulse could have had an effect on other circuits in your car. Our later Porsche models use Can Bus hi and lo signals to navigate or talk to modules, gateway, etc. Make sure your charger is a float type. It should say it in the box. I use the battery tender it's a float charger not trickle. It's ideal for lead acid batteries( car batteries). Stay away from pulse chargers!
I have a CTEK one. I bought it about 3 weeks ago. How will I know if it's a pulse charger?

Originally Posted by phillipj
Was there still some daylight? Mine "auto dim" when there is still a lot of ambient light..
Phillip, there was some daylight..kind of like an overcast. The funny thing was...one minute it's dim...then it'll light back up...then dim again... but as far as I could tell, the light wasn't any different

I guess I will know for sure when I take it for a spin tonight when it's dark. If it darkens, then I know there's a problem

Edwin
Old 10-26-2012, 02:53 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes that will determine it for sure! I don't think you have a problem though.... I was weird for me at first too!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:16 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

You are good.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else have this problem: Auto dimming dash lights?