Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 997 Turbo w/ Bilstein PSS10, Ground Control Camber Plates, Carbotech Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

You all do realize that your stock coilover are Bilstein and the B16 PASM Bilsteins are pretty much like the stock GT3 stock Bilstein coilovers.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:01 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Similar but not the same. Bilsteins supplied for OEM use are much higher quality, heavier duty, even the sending unit wire is routed differently. I've never heard of a single OEM bilstein ever failing, there are many examples of their AM variety having catastrophic fails, from drop link fails to shaft breakage. If bilstein ever supplied this shock to porsche for road cars, it would be the last time, not ready for prime time, imo.
btw, love the new ride!
c
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 AM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

New Years Resolution- get rid of these Bilstein coil overs! Anyone wanna buy them?

So... H and R or back to stock?? Give me your best advice!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:04 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Happy new year and great resolution! Every man has his limitations!

Sorry cant help with the H and R. I did ride in dianics car and it seemed quite OK, definitely not nervously jiggy and noisy like those awful Bilstiens were, but not having driven my car at that stage for nearly 2 months i was unable to back to back the two different characteristics in my head. I was also a passenger and that can also sometimes cloud things too. I don't blame you for booting those Bilstiens off. They not only ruin the feel of the car but defeat the entire purpose the car was designed for. I'd poke em back into whoever sold em to you....to hell with having to sell them. You've put up with enough as it is.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Stock or gmg springs, I think the hr tend to sag w time.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LewisB
New Years Resolution- get rid of these Bilstein coil overs! Anyone wanna buy them?

So... H and R or back to stock?? Give me your best advice!
Lewis and Co...

This is a thread for this particular build and comments related to it. If you are unhappy with your purchase please feel free to create a separate thread and tell us why you don't like them.

Thanks and have a great new year!

Matt
Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Lewis, not sure why you are having issues with your Bilstein Damptronics. I just installed these same coilovers on my car and have 500 miles on them plus 2 days at Sebring for a track event. Sebring is very bumpy and no issues at all plus they are quiet on the street.

If you only street drive and don't like the Damptronics they should sell quickly and you can go back to stock and use the GMG springs or the Techarts that Champion sells to get a lower ride height. There was an Excellence review of a Champion tuned 997TT with there set up and it was a very glowing review.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by GMP - Matthew
Lewis and Co...

This is a thread for this particular build and comments related to it. If you are unhappy with your purchase please feel free to create a separate thread and tell us why you don't like them.

Thanks and have a great new year!

Matt
Matt,
If you put up a thread like this, in a forum like this one, you are going to get all the pros and cons freely expressed. That's the nature of the beast. That's good.
The fact is, there have been issues with this particular product, and rennlisters deserve to know. This is no reflection on your company, rather bilstein (aftermarket).
BTW, can you pm me a price on some champion 184 wheels for my tt?
c
Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Matt,
If you put up a thread like this, in a forum like this one, you are going to get all the pros and cons freely expressed. That's the nature of the beast. That's good.
The fact is, there have been issues with this particular product, and rennlisters deserve to know. This is no reflection on your company, rather bilstein (aftermarket).
c
Exactly!

It's like a cook complaining about the heat in the kitchen..... just that in this kitchen the cook is being left to serve up very bad produce. Goes without saying the punters are going to object to any marketing talk on this crap especially given all the history surrounding it. One need only to type in under search "Bilstein problems" between 6 and here and up comes a swarm of threads. I find it amazing vendors are actually still trying to promote the sale of this crap knowing all the issues on it, least of all complain or shut down talk when punters inevitably whinge on the forums.

If vendors insist on selling this junk they should do the right thing and make customers fully aware of the issues up front before they part with their money and, get them to sign acknowledgement that they've been fully warned....
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lol you guys crack me up. I'm all for talking about pros and cons but call me OCD if you will but this is a thread about this particular car. If there are issues about a product that was installed on this car this should be talked about in its own separate thread in a completely different forum. Just my personal opinion. I reiterate, I am all for feed back good or bad but if a new customer were to try and find out about feedback "good or bad" this thread wouldn't I don't think would come up in the search engine. I would love to see a forum created for customer feed back on parts.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Matt,
c

I sure can. Will send you one in a minute.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM
GMP Performance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a note to anyone interested: this beautiful 997 Turbo is for sale! Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions whatsoever. We know the owner very well so we will have no problem getting ever last bit of info you could possible want! PM us or contact us at Stephen@GMPperformance.com
Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 PM
speed21
Banned

So the owner got fed up with it and now wants to get out of it? Understand his feelings. I did much the same with my C2S after i put the BS suspension in it. Easier to just get out of the car and start again. This is the problem with doing certain mods and/or overly modding and i see it regularly with certain members that have gone just that bit too far so they wind up selling the car.

Rather than putting it back to stock and remaining the owner knowing it has been screwed around with is not a great thought because psychologically the car never feels the same as you imagined it previously. So it's better to start of fresh with a new car knowing there are things you will do and things you will never do again. Each person is different i'm sure but for me the Bilsteins killed the goose for my last car and i wasn't prepared to put it back to stock and own it knowing the car had had the crap shaken out of it. Same with these obnoxiously loud and resonant exhaust systems, overly tuned/altered engines, beefed up drivelines and these ridiculous dust sucking intake/filtration arrangements. After a short period it would be easy to see how the novelty wears right off for the owner and the car becomes laborious to use regularly as originally intended.

All these tt.1s really need at most is a good exhaust that doesn't drone, a tune that can be flashed to and from stock as and when required and a clutch in the event the car isnt tip/pdk. A set of 19" is nice as is a few minor body work changes that don't alter or clash with the design statement set down by Porsche.

The TT is a fantastic everyday super car and essentially once you change it to where it can't be driven with comfort and joy every day and/or alter the design statement to a point the car looks ridiculous to the greater majority then the car becomes a white elephant.

Last edited by speed21; 04-09-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:42 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

^^Very well said!
I've seen many a owner/car that just go a little too far, and boom you've got a frankencar that you have to think twice about driving bc it's too low, too rough, to loud......etc.
I just did the fvd 530 kit (same as the 555hp kit, sans exhaust) on my car with a couple of porsche suspension tweaks and love it!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

+1
(except my exhaust drones! )

Quick Reply: Porsche 997 Turbo w/ Bilstein PSS10, Ground Control Camber Plates, Carbotech Brakes