Sponsored by:

Breathe Baby. BREATHE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:20 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Breathe Baby. BREATHE!

I'm about to revive my TT. All the parts are in, so I thought I'd show 'em off. In the first pic, you'll see all the parts. The last two pics show half at a time from a little closer. Some of these parts may be news to some of you. If you'll recall, this latest saga started with a snapped exhaust stud. I had to take one turbo off, so I thought I'd go ahead and take the other off and send them both to Germany. I got upgraded turbos out of it, PLUS my stud problem got fixed--quite a coup. So, then I decided to save some more time and money "while I was in there." Hence, the BRVs, plenum, throttle body, and ICs/hoses.

- Porsche Motorsport ICs
- Porsche Motorsport reinforced boost hoses
- IPD 82mm Plenum
- GT3 Throttle Body
- Forge BRVs
- OE VTG Turbos upgraded by FVD / BorgWarner
- FVD Brombacher "Sound" Exhaust w/ 200 cpsi HJS HFCs
- FVD Tips
- FVD Headers

I forgot to put my FVD headers in the picture. You can see them in the pic in my thread "My Castrated TT." I also didn't include my BMC air filter, but I'm not planning to use it anytime soon. It kinda came with the package, so to speak. I'm replacing the O2 sensors with wideband Densos. I'll clean the MAFs when I pull everything out for the throttle body/plenum install. And I'm even giving the EGT probes a good cleaning and new coat of moly.

If you hadn't noticed, the point of these upgrades is better breathing. The astute among you will notice that three items are untouched: 1) the factory airbox, 2) the intake manifold, and 3) the y-pipe. I guess you could count the intake pipes between the airbox and compressor as a 4th, but who replaces those?

On the exhaust side, I'm covered--headers to turbine to cats to muffler to tips.

On the intake side, I was told by FVD that the manifold is not a restriction, nor is the factory airbox. The y-pipe is something they like to wait and see on because, according to FVD's engineers, it can cause some boost delay if power isn't high enough. I should be in the 650 bhp range, so I may ultimately benefit from the IPD 56mm/62mm y-pipe. I'll make that leap when/if the time comes, but the last thing I want is a lazy response.

FVD will customize your tune however you want, so I asked them to tune for reliability, which they liked to hear. I consider the upgraded ICs an engine safety mechanism more than an upgrade to produce more power. The BRVs are for reliability as much as anything. I could probably be pushing 670 bhp if I chose to go that route, but I'd rather have a reliable 650 than a maxed out 670.

Louis

Last edited by L_perm; 12-04-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that must be very exciting to have all those goodies lined up and ready to go. Are you doing the work yourself? It looks like everything there should be a relatively easy install for a do it yourself-er.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh wow. Looks perfect. Can't wait for first impressions drive. Oh and the smile of the first crank and start.
Enjoy.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

Pure lust in my heart.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm in Charlotte, will bring beer and popcorn.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 184 Posts

Where is the clutch?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:30 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

All that for $659.99 plus shipping?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM
L_perm
Pro

Originally Posted by drh
Wow that must be very exciting to have all those goodies lined up and ready to go. Are you doing the work yourself? It looks like everything there should be a relatively easy install for a do it yourself-er.
Doing it myself. You're right--all of these things are pretty straightforward for a DIY'er. I've had the car since March, and we're definitely getting to know each other better. We were both a little nervous initially about me getting under the hind parts back there. But, the car and I are both secure enough in our masculinity.

Seriously though, doing the work is half the fun!

Originally Posted by dianic
Oh wow. Looks perfect. Can't wait for first impressions drive. Oh and the smile of the first crank and start.
Enjoy.
Thanks Nick. Me too! I've been slammed at work lately, but I'm going to make time ASAP!

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Pure lust in my heart.
I'm revelling in your envy!

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
I'm in Charlotte, will bring beer and popcorn.

Hey Eric. I've got a couple of interior paint issues that you and I will have to figure out a solution for sometime.

So, popcorn and an evil grin. Care to let me in on any advice?

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Where is the clutch?
On its way as soon as the OE clutch gives up the ghost. I'll see what happens. If I can drive the car in a clutch-friendly way, which is generally my style, then I may only be replacing the pressure plate before too long. I'd like to do the GT2 slave thing too but will wait to do it all at once.

Originally Posted by atcbi5
All that for $659.99 plus shipping?
That's what the wife was told. Now I just have to hide the bank and credit card statements for a while.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Awesome set up. Wow.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might add that I don't see new plugs in your treasure trove there....might be the perfect time to throw a new set in since they will be exposed. Otherwise it's about 3-4hrs...at least it is for a slow poke like me.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:13 PM
L_perm
Pro

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Awesome set up. Wow.
Thank you.

Still enjoying that silver and red beauty of yours I hope. That's a sweet interior color under that exterior! My '89 Mustang 5.0 was white with a red interior, but it was nothing like yours--to state the obvious.

Originally Posted by drh
I might add that I don't see new plugs in your treasure trove there....might be the perfect time to throw a new set in since they will be exposed. Otherwise it's about 3-4hrs...at least it is for a slow poke like me.
You're right. If I were going to do them, then they are staring me in the face right now--only a small heat shield with two screws between me and the coils.

The OE plugs were just changed ~1,000 miles ago, so they are new. I have asked FVD several times--particularly as I added equipment upgrades--if I should go to colder plugs. Without hesitation, each time they have assured me that my OE plugs are the best choice, and that they tune for them.

You get so many different opinions on this issue. I had one seller tell me I needed colder plugs for a 550 tune. But, FVD has been doing this for 28 years, so I decided to listen to them. I'll probably ask one more time before I re-assemble, just to be sure.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Yep. Still loving it. It grows on you. Just ordered some Leatherique to clean and condition the leather.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow that is a beautiful set-up.. I too am envious! But in a good way.. I love to see folks like you making upgrades AND doing the work yourself!

Can't wait to hear your impressions when it's complete. I totally agree that 650 of reliable HP is better than trying to push it for more.. 650 is a nice number!

Great job!

BTW ... What was your total cost for parts?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:49 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking forward to the result and your impressions. And of course pictures of a finished car with shiny new wheels.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:10 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by L_perm
I have asked FVD several times--particularly as I added equipment upgrades--if I should go to colder plugs. Without hesitation, each time they have assured me that my OE plugs are the best choice, and that they tune for them.
I can confirm that my trusted mechanic and friend says the same thing. OEM is the best even for tuned applications.

By the way I love those exhaust tips.

Quick Reply: Breathe Baby. BREATHE!