Sponsored by:

997 quirks, are they normal

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aa909
good question, will need to take a closer look but from what I've read 1.5 +/- is in the correct range

is there something in particular you are concerned about? has the idle pressure changed from before?
Always interested to contrast these values with comparable mileage cars for guidance. I am going to change oil shortly from M1 0/40 to a tri ester 5/40 nano technology oil that's getting rave reviews in the UK.

I check idle pressure cold/ water temp at 80 and the water at 80 & oil at 85.

After 30 mins oil temp 85 idle went slightly below 1.5, recorded a whole range of temps and pressures and will do the same test with the new oil.

Rob
Old 09-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmhor 1
13000 miles and mine makes noises cold and hot same as my mates GT3RS so I tend to ignore. I did manage to curb the smoke at start up on the same advice as above - let the car cool and idle for a few mins before ****ting off.

Without hijacking the OP's thread what oil pressure reading do you guys get on idle when oil and water are up to temp. After a good drive mine settles not quite half way between 1 and 2 bar on idle. Probably 1.2 or 1.3 bar.

Interested to hear from others.

Rob.

You have to be careful.

What I have observed is the hot idle oil pressure -- obtained from my (996) Turbo's oil pressure gage -- varies depending upon ambient temperature.

(Another factor that keeps the oil pressure "up" is if I have the A/C on. This keeps the engine cooler and thus the oil cooler and thus accounts for the higher oil pressure.)

The other day I drove to work -- 30 mile drive -- and once over the Dublin (CA) grade and on into work the air temp dropped to around 60F.

When I pulled into the office parking lot and let the engine idle as I do and then to run an oil level check I noticed the oil pressure as a bit over 2 bar.

This caught my eye because it is a bit higher than I have been used to seeing of late because I have been using my Turbo to carry my elderly parents (one at a time) running errands with them in Livermore.

The Turbo has had of late lots of city driving, idling and slow parking lot driving. (They live at the grocery store and at Wal-Mart.) Also temps here in Livermore have been higher than over near/next to the bay. (Gas mileage has dropped to horrible levels.)

At these other times, here in Livermore, when the ambient temp is much higher and running around town I have seen the pressure gage reading (estimated by the location of the needle) close to 1.5 bar.

Unless one takes an accurate coolant temp reading and an oil temp and oil pressure reading going by the coolant temp gage and the oil pressure gage is just guessing.

AFAIK Porche doesn't specify a hot idle oil pressure. All I can find is a hot oil pressure call out for the 996 Turbo of 6.5 bar (94psi) at 5K rpms with the oil temp at 90C or 194F. (The oil pressure callout for the NA engines is a bit lower pressure -- 5 bar IIRC -- at the same temp and rpm.)

I can tell you my Turbo's oil pressure gage does *not* register 6.5 bar at 5K rpms. At max. rpms I believe it gets to 5 bar.

Am I worried? Not in the least. These gages are almost certainly little better than an idiot light and do not/can not show actual pressure worth a darn. They are for show more than go.

(I have a data logger connected to my Turbo that records speed, rpm, load, intake air temp, coolant temp ever few seconds but unfortunately oil temp and pressure are not in the range of Mode 1 Pids this device supports. I have not had the time to customize the firmware to grab the actual digital values for oil pressure and temperature. Oh and the DLL/software application which also would have to be modified to deal with the extended Mode 1 Pids that are used to get oil pressure and temperature.)

Also, with the new DFI engines and the variable pressure pump I've never driven one but the techs I talk too have and they tell me it was a bit odd at first to give the engine throttle and initially see the oil pressure climb like one is used to seeing with the pre-DFI engines only to then see the oil pressure drop down to around 3 bar which is plenty of oil pressure as the throttle was kept stead and the high rpms maintained.

It just highlights how much oil over pressure these engines have.

So be careful putting too much weight onto what the oil pressure is from car to car. It is like oil consumption. As there is always an engine that uses less oil there is always an engine with more oil pressure.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:31 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All Mezger GT1 engines are noisy on start up.

Be intersted to know what oil he is using..1 quart every 750 miles is too much..

Totally agree with the "white smoke" prevention techniques.

Interesting that some people with low mile TT's seem to think that there may be problems on a 60k car... Mine is approaching 60k and I don't have one rattle, squeak, or any "goofy" behavior..

If I did I would get it taken care of. My car is as perfect as any 20k car.. But I'm a zealot about maintaining it. I recently drove a 15k mile 08 TT and my car feels every bit as tight..

It's just a car and it was designed to go well into the 150k mile mark with no issues as long as proper maintenance is performed. Please refer to the member here who finally rebuilt his 996 TT engine after 320 thousand miles!!! Original turbos and tranny and clutch!

I don't understand why folks are afraid to drive these cars. What's the point of owning it? It's not a diety it's a car.. Incredibly engineered and meant to be driven on a daily basis. It's not a tempramental Ferrari..

I have to drive every day.. So why not drive something special.. Sorry to the OP for ranting on his topic..Just had to get that off my chest..

When I get tired of this TT I will get another one and drive it every day too...

And Zeus 993. The "little" problems you mentioned with your car should be taken care of with your warranty. You shouldn't live with those things because they are not "normal"..

Quick Reply: 997 quirks, are they normal