Sponsored by:

Clunky noise from the front.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clunky noise from the front.

I will eventually have my suspension checked, of course, but wanted to consult with fellow Porsche owners first, maybe to pinpoint the problem better.

I have 2007 997 Turbo with H&R springs (-25mm). When I drive over holes, repetitive bumps, joints in the road, I hear noise from the front (I think particularly right front). I know that 911 has quite short suspension travel and with shorter springs it is even more acute, so I wonder if I am hitting bump stops or something else is wrong.
I went to Porsche service center and asked them and they told me there is this metal thing connecting the shock absorber to, I think, lower undercarriage (I forgot the english term for this thing, I am sorry), and maybe this is what makes the noise.

Anyone have experienced similar noises in similar circumstances?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only clunking noise I ever encountered with one of the hard coolant lines came out of the bracket and it would clunk (hit the tunnel) over bumps or change in directions. Simple fix. They do run the entire length of the car and secure front and rear so that may be a possibility.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:04 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
The only clunking noise I ever encountered with one of the hard coolant lines came out of the bracket and it would clunk (hit the tunnel) over bumps or change in directions. Simple fix. They do run the entire length of the car and secure front and rear so that may be a possibility.
Thanks, Doc!
Will take notice of your suggestion!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:07 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my front shock tower bushings fail.. But that was a "popping" sound when turning the wheel at slow speeds...
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by phillipj
I had my front shock tower bushings fail.. But that was a "popping" sound when turning the wheel at slow speeds...
Hi, Phillip
Thanks.
No, I have something else, I would say I am hitting bump stops, but it must be more.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas

I had a clunky noise coming from the front of my Carrera S. It turned out that the front hood was not quite as tight as it should be on closing and would rattle a bit over rough stuff.

To check yours simply push up and down on the leading edge of the hood above the latch area and if it is too loose you will hear it.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 PM
brannonspillars
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a clunking noise from front left wheel, and found I had broken the shaft of a Billstein strut. Billstein replaced it, but then the replacement strut's shaft broke a few months later. I went back with stock struts and haven't had any more trouble. With stock struts I chose Eibach springs, and for me it's a great setup.

Quick Reply: Clunky noise from the front.