Sponsored by:

Clutch booster spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 01:14 AM
wilson234
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch booster spring replacement

My clutch petal makes an irritating pop/click that I can feel through my pedal. After lubing various items, it appears I've narrowed it down to the clutch spring booster. I searched and found an old tsb from an older model regarding faulty booster mechanisms and/or clutch petals grinding a pivot point.

I'm looking to feedback on how to remove the booster, I got as far as putting a pin in the spring mechanism, uncliping the pivot point, but when I started to push the metal pivot bolt out, it hit some metal plate that prevented it from fully releasing the boost spring. Decided to put it back together and seek assistance.

My goal is to try the car with no booster spring to see if I like the harder pedal feel with more feedback, as I would agree I too have difficulties launching the car as confidently as other cars I own.

I know there's the gt2 conversion, feedback looks promising, but looking to see if I can slightly improve petal feel before taking a plunge with the gt2 slave kit.

Anyone try removing the stock booster spring and replacing with gt2 unit only with no other changes, curious if this would be a happy medium.

Any feedback what others have done and experienced is appreciated.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:30 PM
wilson234
Instructor

Unhappy

Wanted to share my feedback after removing the clutch booster spring mechanism.

It is much improved, as many have indicated (mostly on the 996TT forum), the elimination of the clutch spring booster, makes the turbo's clutch more like other cars. I experienced a very difficult time with launching the car from a stop. I felt the engagement point was very small, and you had to be spot on to get a good launch, ie not burning the clutch and not stalling the car. While I learned to do this well, I never felt I could launch the car aggressively without a high probability of burning the clutch.

So I read up on the GT2 Evom clutch kit that essentially replaces clutch system to the GT2 unit, eliminating the hydrollic assist function of the TT. Kit ranges from $600-1000 depending on how you source some of the parts. Others chimed in that simply removing the clutch booster spring made a significant improvement, and being free, I figured it would be a good starting point.

After wrestling the part out, I noticed on my drive in this morning, all the dislikes of the sensitive clutch was greatly improved. Also, the clutch pedal downforce is stiffer, but not by much. I would say the factory set up with the spring booster made the clutch action lighter than most cars, which seems out of place for a sports car. If you have driven other cars and notice that the TT clutch is extremely light, you won't even notice the change post removal.

Overall, for anyone looking to improve clutch engagement on the TT, I recommend you trying without clutch booster.

Anyone who removed booster spring and then went on to the GT2 conversion, I would appreciate your feedback. If it further improves clutch feel, I would be interested in taking this one step further. While better, a GT3 clutch engagement is still better!!

Anyone in SoCal with a GT2 clutch conversion??
Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by wilson234
Wanted to share my feedback after removing the clutch booster spring mechanism.

It is much improved, as many have indicated (mostly on the 996TT forum), the elimination of the clutch spring booster, makes the turbo's clutch more like other cars. I experienced a very difficult time with launching the car from a stop. I felt the engagement point was very small, and you had to be spot on to get a good launch, ie not burning the clutch and not stalling the car. While I learned to do this well, I never felt I could launch the car aggressively without a high probability of burning the clutch.

So I read up on the GT2 Evom clutch kit that essentially replaces clutch system to the GT2 unit, eliminating the hydrollic assist function of the TT. Kit ranges from $600-1000 depending on how you source some of the parts. Others chimed in that simply removing the clutch booster spring made a significant improvement, and being free, I figured it would be a good starting point.

After wrestling the part out, I noticed on my drive in this morning, all the dislikes of the sensitive clutch was greatly improved. Also, the clutch pedal downforce is stiffer, but not by much. I would say the factory set up with the spring booster made the clutch action lighter than most cars, which seems out of place for a sports car. If you have driven other cars and notice that the TT clutch is extremely light, you won't even notice the change post removal.

Overall, for anyone looking to improve clutch engagement on the TT, I recommend you trying without clutch booster.

Anyone who removed booster spring and then went on to the GT2 conversion, I would appreciate your feedback. If it further improves clutch feel, I would be interested in taking this one step further. While better, a GT3 clutch engagement is still better!!

Anyone in SoCal with a GT2 clutch conversion??
I'm interested. Any pics or reference diagrams to post?
Old 04-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Tper8181
Track Day

Anybody tried complete removal of this spring on the 987?

I imagine it will be exactly the same process as the 996 / and give the same improved clutch feel?

Local garage just replaced my spring and now I can't feel a thing, I think removal is the way forward.

However I don't want to have to use steroids to be able to press the pedal

Any thoughts would be great
Old 04-05-2015, 04:01 AM
Tper8181
Track Day

Default 987 Wow

Boxster S 987

Took the plunge...

Clutch assist spring out

Was a relatively Easy job. No need to remove any of the dash or air ducting.

All I needed was a Flat head screw driver and standard pliers

Took around 10 mins max

Results...

Feels like a completely new car. When launching It feels like a rocket.

Pedal isn't too heavy at all, easy to manipulate. Don't anticipate any problems while sitting in traffic etc

Big smile when driving

I would urge anyone reading this to do it immediately.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

Interesting post. I've been thinking about this mod for the reasons listed above. My 997.1 TT is much more difficult to launch from a stop than my 996 C4S was. I've owned and driven many cars with manual transmissions over the years, and this one is the most difficult by far.

Quick Reply: Clutch booster spring replacement