Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 997T CPO Low Prices. What Gives????

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012 | 10:02 PM
midwestguy
8th Gear

Question 2007 997T CPO Low Prices. What Gives????

I'm new to the forum but have been in and out of the market for a 911 Turbo for a few years. I'm finally ready to pull the trigger and have identified two 2007 CPO 997 Turbos with 40K and 60K miles asking $65K and $63K respectively.

These prices are, at a minimum, $10K below similar spec'd vehicles albiet with higher mileage (around 20K higher mileage).

What would account for such pricing discrepancies? What is not included during the CPO servicing that might result in out-of-pocket cost after acquisition? Should I get a PPI (this is a interstate transaction)? Should I just quit whining and buy one of the f***ing cars?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 09-04-2012 | 11:21 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

$65k for a 2007 TT CPO with 40K miles is ~$10K below market as you stated. Something smells funny. have you seen these cars in person? what kind of condition are they in and have they been in any accidents? I ordered a carfax before making my purchase 2 weeks ago, I have 1 free report left so if you want to post the VIN I will run it for you to see if it's been hit and repaired

- Art
Old 09-04-2012 | 11:56 PM
Capitalist Pig
Track Day

Even though they are CPO, I would definitely get a PPI done.
Old 09-05-2012 | 12:51 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Red flags
Old 09-05-2012 | 07:37 AM
midwestguy
8th Gear

Both vehicles are out-of-state so I've been unable to see them in person. The links are below. I've run the CarFax on both vehicles and they come up clean. The black vehicles CarFax is sparse (very odd). Both vehicles are one-owner cars.

The dealer forwarded me photos (taken from a cell) of the first vehicle and says the servicing should be complete this week. I asked him to send me a CPO checklist and I'll get the PPI completed post CPO servicing.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...29229493&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...29193955&Log=0
Old 09-05-2012 | 09:21 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

CPO costs the dealer about $3K. If you don't use your TT as a DD and keep the miles off, over time excessive miles today will balance out and not be an issue in the future. If the cars are CPO'd and the PPI's are clean, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one $10K below the current market because financially you'll always be even or perhaps positive when you decide to sell it. IMO, the 07-09 TT's will always hold their value because of the GT1 engine.
Old 09-05-2012 | 09:33 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Sorry but I do not think they are priced below market. They are priced to sell at asking. But I see nothing special here.
For about $10K more you get a car with half or less mileage.
Old 09-05-2012 | 11:21 AM
strato58
Burning Brakes

I believe this is the current market value especially for a CPO. Going into the winter season is not going to help them sell these cars. Depreciation appears to be fairly stiff on the 997....not as bad as the 996 but its still early. 993 is rock solid it appears.

Look at ebay, very few high bids.
Old 09-05-2012 | 11:22 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993S
Sorry but I do not think they are priced below market. They are priced to sell at asking. But I see nothing special here.
For about $10K more you get a car with half or less mileage.
I agree with you on the 60K mile car. cars in excellent condition with 20K-30K miles are selling for ~$75K-$80K. and in fact the Blue TT with 60K miles looks like it's in pretty decent shape for a 60K miles car and is priced to sell at $63K

But I'm still struggling with the 40K mile car for $66K, it seems a little too good to be true.

to the OP, I bought my 07 TT from a 3rd party 2 weeks ago and had it inspected (PPI) at Rector. Their service department is pretty good from what I could tell, if you want a straight answer from them call the service department and ask to speak with George Demar. Ask him about the car you're interested in and be straight up with him, I'd tell him that the price seems a little too good and you are a serious buyer but want to know the condition of the car inside and out.

My guess is that it is priced to sell and has some cosmetic issues, eg worn interior like leather seats, possible too many rock chips on hood. If it has no issues then you are getting a great deal with similar cars selling for about $70K

let us know what you learn
Art
Old 09-05-2012 | 12:51 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

My car is listed on here for sale at $72K with a CPO warranty till 7/13. It has 37k miles on it. I've had a few inquiries but still has not sold. I will take $70K for it and it is clean as a whistle. No accident or paint history. Car is in fantastic condition. Trade offers have been $65-66K which is the direction I will go if it doesn't sell in the next few days.
Old 09-05-2012 | 01:03 PM
L_perm
Pro

I would also guess some cosmetic issues with the 40K miles car. Could be one or two obvious flaws, or the sum of a bunch of minor flaws from wear and tear. The owner could have been a smoker, or something like that too. Whether and when the clutch comes under the umbrella of CPO maintenance is also a gray area. Maybe the clutch is almost gone but still "working" enough to ignore for CPO purposes.

Louis
Old 09-05-2012 | 01:08 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aa909
But I'm still struggling with the 40K mile car for $66K, it seems a little too good to be true.
Yes, it is priced on the low side but not at a market value difference of 10K.
I guess this car has had some minor paint work or has been used as any normal car and it probably shows.
People tend to forget but the $70+ and up cars are usually cars that have been well taken care of.

And if I understand the fine print correct you wont take the car home for $66.
If you than compare the amerlemans car I do not see such a good deal.

Edit : Louis, I was just writing as you posted, I take longer with two young kids next to me.
Old 09-05-2012 | 03:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by midwestguy
Both vehicles are out-of-state so I've been unable to see them in person. The links are below. I've run the CarFax on both vehicles and they come up clean. The black vehicles CarFax is sparse (very odd). Both vehicles are one-owner cars.

The dealer forwarded me photos (taken from a cell) of the first vehicle and says the servicing should be complete this week. I asked him to send me a CPO checklist and I'll get the PPI completed post CPO servicing.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...29229493&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...29193955&Log=0
Cell phone pics of a used car for sale is worth about as much as the text description of a hot single woman on an online dating service.

A car dealer worthy of the name should be able to snap some high quality pics of the car -- in his sleep! -- and get them to you pronto.

Cell phone photos suggests the car or cars may not stand up to close inspection offered by high def pics.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-05-2012 | 04:05 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by strato58
Depreciation appears to be fairly stiff on the 997....not as bad as the 996 but its still early. 993 is rock solid it appears.
The 993 is going up in value every year. The older its gets the less (decent) examples available, the more valuable they become. But there was a time, not too long ago, you could pick up a perfect car for little money.

The 997-1 TT will hit a low in the coming years and then move up just like the 993 and 964 are doing now (of course beaters not included but that's the same for 993 and 964). There are too many things about that car that will make it collectible, most important being the last turbo with that racing derived motor.

Unfortunately the 996 is an other story and you can't compare. You just might end up missing good opportunities because you think price is not (yet) were it should be. But prices will come down even more for higher mileage cars so you still have time to sit back and watch. Good luck, it's an awesome car and you'll enjoy it.
Old 09-05-2012 | 04:14 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Im looking very hard but I can only afford so much...Im hoping I can catch me a nice one sometime in the next year for $60K max....i do think they will continue to come down so I think ill be able to. I do agree they will only go so low....then hold firm. 993 is unique and has a very limited number of units produced. 997.1 has too many units to be a collectable. I think there are less than 5000 993's world wide...who knows whats left.

Quick Reply: 2007 997T CPO Low Prices. What Gives????