Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruh-Roh! Inspection on my CPO '07tt found 2 big issues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:23 PM
bellemastiff
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ruh-Roh! Inspection on my CPO '07tt found 2 big issues...

Having purchased my 07 911tt CPO last week, I took it in yesterday for a "post purchase inspection" (to a different dealer who is closer to my home.) Basically just for peace of mind.

The service advisor just called me & apparently the car has two problems.

1) fault code with turbocharger -- on the driver's side -- I don't remember the exact issue but whatever the problem is, if left unaddressed, it may eventually stop spinning and be a more major problem. He said it may be able to be fixed easily or it may require taking off and/or replacing this turbocharger.

2) oil leaks -- there are two of them and one of them is near the transmission. Not a "drip drip" but a slow leak? apparently this potentially means the (tip) transmission must come out.

I confirmed with him that the car does have a CPO for 11 more months and he said he would check whether there is approval for CPO work on these issues from Porsche, and get back to me this afternoon.

I am guessing repairs for major mechanical issues like this could cost 10k, 20k, or more????!!

Anyone have advice / experience on this type of situation? I said "since the issues seem mechanical in nature and not wear and tear, what grounds would corporate have to potentially deny a CPO warranty claim?" He said "well none, really" BUT he is still checking with them... is that normal? I guess a precaution for the dealer since these repairs will potentially be so costly, to ensure the dealer would be reimbursed for the work by corporate? Anyone ever have a claim like this denied or had to argue to get their CPO coverage?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:35 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DON"T WORRY!!. If you have the older version of the CPO ( I have an 07 and I had the older version of the CPO) repairs have to be approved before completion.

The most recent CPO does not require approval for repairs. You will be covered for the things you mentioned for sure. The only way Porsche would not cover a problem with your turbocharger or an oil leak is if the car had been modded with non Porsche parts (ECU flash, exhaust, clutch upgrade etc.)

Believe me your dealer would love to do the work.. It is stanard protocol for them to get the nod from Porsche first..

If in the case they say they will NOT cover the repairs then you will have to go directly to Porsche because that is wrong....

Let us know what happens... But like I said don't worry...You're going to be fine an maybe even end up with a new turbocharger...
Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

CPO covered for sure, normal they have to ask for approval.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 PM
bellemastiff
Track Day

Phew. OK. Thanks for the reassurance guys :-)
Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 PM
bellemastiff
Track Day

Well I just got back from the dealer. They are working with corporate now and apparently it may be 1 to 2 more days of red tape for "official approval" but they assured me all the issues will be covered by warranty -- though it might take 2 to 3 weeks!

1. Two oil leaks in the Tip transmission (1 front 1 rear)

In the first pic you can see where a plug is missing. When they opened the plug, oil splattered out.

Apparently it's doubtful they can rebuild or re-seal it for whatever reason and most likely it is going to require a brand new Tip transmission from Germany (17,000 + labor, but covered by warranty)

2. Driver's side turbocharger -- some sort of rod is stuck.

Normally it is supposed to move up and down but it isn't moving at all. They only caught it because I asked them to check to see if the ECU was flashed and instead, they found a 'boost fault'.

I do wonder, especially in the case of the Tip transmission, how long it would run "just fine" even with a minor oil leak (10k miles? 50k miles? 100k miles?) but I guess I will never need to find out, thank goodness I spent a little more on a car with 11 months of warranty left.

The 40k service was never done, and since the engine will come out to have this turbo replaced, I can save roughly half the cost of the 40k service because much of this labor 'overlaps' with the two warranty items.... I'm going to go ahead and have that done as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 563 Posts

Check if you are due for new plugs soon. "While we are in there."
Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 PM
bellemastiff
Track Day

Terry,

Exactly... they are part of the 40k service.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:58 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the engine is coming out I'd have them change the plugs regardless of when they were supposedly last replaced. For the small cost of the plugs you wouldn't miss that oppportunity....plus they'd probably throw the labour in. Don't miss it!!! They sure won't when it comes time to change them later on.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:51 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

What first looked like a major pita turns out to be a money saving event.
Good for you ! You did good going in for a double-check.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:11 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great news.. A new turbo and a new tranny!! WOO HOO!!! I was sure you wouldn't have a problem..

Good call on the service....

Agree with the others.. Change the plugs. It's a PITA on turbo with engine in.. Super easy engine out!!

See if they'll hook you up with a P Car loaner while your car is being completed. The new Cayenne is nice...That's what I always get...
Old 08-16-2012, 03:08 PM
bellemastiff
Track Day

Yep the plugs are part of the 40k service and saving labor costs due to labor overlap.

Only complaint is my loaner car is a M-B C300. Same color as the white c63 I traded in against the 997tt. Pretty surreal hitting the gas and nothing seems to happen ;-) ... good thing I virtually never drive anywhere unless I 'want' to, if I had to commute to work in it every day I'd be P.O.'d!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

My (CPO'd) 03 Turbo's 6-speed developed a leak -- selector shaft seal -- that was spotted by a tech when I had the car in for an early (preventative maintenance) tranny/diff fluid change.

It took some back and forth between the dealer service department and PCNA and the factory but the decision came down from on high to replace the transmission. One was shipped from Germany.

With the back and forth and waiting for the transmission I was without the car nearly 3 weeks.

But it was well worth it.

All paid for by the CPO warranty.

The techs told me to replace the transmission out of pocket would have run around $10K for the tranny alone.

The techs also told me the leak in this case was fixable with a 'tranny rebuild' but of course Porsche didn't authorize that. Had the car not been covered by warranty and had I wanted to have the leak addressed it would have run me about $5K. Depends upon what else was found in need of attention in the transmission.

In your case, I wouldn't want to see how long the Tip would be ok with a leak. Get the car fixed while under warranty.

Be sure you drive the car some to give the replacement Tip and turbo a chance to act up just in case one or both proves to be bad.

Before the CPO warranty expires have the car in for a Tip fluid service -- premature sure -- in order to give the techs a chance to look over the Tip and other parts of the car that are normally hidden by plastic underbody panels.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:58 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I though all maintance had to be up to date before they could CPO. So if you bought the car after 40K the plugs should have already been changed. Doesn't mean they did it but they should have.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by function12
I though all maintance had to be up to date before they could CPO. So if you bought the car after 40K the plugs should have already been changed. Doesn't mean they did it but they should have.
This is true. I had the same issue as the OP--bought a 2007 CPO that hadn't had the official 40K mile service. I had to point out the language in the Porsche CPO documents that states a car must have all scheduled maintenance performed by a Porsche-authorized dealer to qualify for the CPO program. The dealer I bought from ended up picking up the cost of changing the plugs, which was the only item missing from the 40K--everything else had been done by the original owner prior to trade in or as part of the CPO. I had to be persistent to make it happen, but they ultimately agreed.

FYI, Porsche NA (PCNA) was NO HELP AT ALL. I was on my own. They gave me some nonsense about how each dealer made its own decisions. I explained to them (PCNA) that if each dealer made its own decisions about how to CPO, then the CPO program was not a Porsche program at all. It was only as good as any given dealer wanted it to be, and I seriously doubted Porsche meant it to be that way. Porsche ceretainly doesn't sell it that way. PCNA ignored the logic--which I was very tactful about--and gave me the phone number for the dealership, which I already had. Useless.

Also like the OP, I had a post-purchase inspection at my local dealer and they immediately replaced the clutch pressure accumulator under warranty. I had them check everywhere for any pentosin leaks or slave cylinder issues and they found nothing. They did a general inspection and told me the car was in excellent mechanical condition--peace of mind.

Plug job was just over $1K, by the way. Glad I got it paid for. I'll do it myself next time--when out of warranty. The car had 12,500 miles on it at my purchase, by the way, and my local Porsche guys were pretty adamant that they be changed--I think more for warranty concerns than actual concerns about the plugs failing.

I've worked on my own cars all my life, and this is my first Porsche--or anything close really. I still kinda laugh when I think about: 1) the plug job at the dealership being over $1K; 2) how difficult it is to change the damn things; and 3) the need to change them at 12,500 miles because 4 years had passed. Probably 95% of car owners out there never think about spark plugs their entire lives!

LP
Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 PM
bellemastiff
Track Day

Ya know these are some good points. I did "pay extra" for the CPO (which is already paying off). It looks like I will be on the hook for a $3k or so out of pocket bill (out of $30k+ total) so I guess I was feeling like a winner "so far".

I could approach the original dealer but frankly not sure how much stomach I have to argue with them...

Quick Reply: Ruh-Roh! Inspection on my CPO '07tt found 2 big issues...