Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions for all you 996/997 Turbo owners...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 AM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Because it's a real pain in the ****, I assume?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM
bellemastiff
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned several Porsches over the past 40 years. My experience is that options depreciate at a far greater rate than the base car. So a highly optioned $150K 991S should suffer greater depreciation than a lightly optioned 991 Turbo.
Good point!

Grab the 997TTs while you can get great deals!
Yes, from reading threads from the past two years -- and having just bought mine last week with some heavy searching the 'current market' -- it appears the earliest 997.1tt's prices didn't go down much if at all in the last year or two. Or certainly the depreciation slowed to a trickle. Whoever of you guys bought 997.1tt's about 2 years ago at the lower end of the market (high miles or just good deals), seem to have been driving them nearly for free for the last two years in terms of depreciation!

To some degree this has to do with the financial crisis -- I bought my 997.2S PDK in July '09, sold it back to the dealer, and they now have it priced for more than I haggled for it in '09! An odd artifact of a market where the new car production slowed to a trickle in '09, '10, and meanwhile the 991 prices continue to climb (At a rate above inflation, I believe) so it's simply a function of supply, demand, and 'alternative options'.

Now, the 997.1tt obviously not a "993 situation" -- especially when the 991tt comes out there should be another small drop and I doubt prices will ever go UP on them ;-). However potential buyers like me who can't afford new P-cars will be cross-shopping 996tt's against 997.1tt's and the 997 will, due to design and general desirability, probably command a 15k to 25k premium above the 996tt's for quite a while. In other words I think there's a (only slowly sinking) "floor" for these early 997tt's that makes them good value (IMO!)

Yes, I might lose 15k or 25k due to depreciation on my 997.1tt as I drive it for a few years... just seems to me that it's a much better value than catching a (granted, better) car (a 997.2tt) and losing double that in depreciation to drive it the same length of time. Obviously some folks have unlimited budgets, or always want the latest and greatest (and I don't begrudge either type), so those folks will have a different opinion than a cheapskate like me!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Don't fret. "They" ask more than 200k for a TT over here......a lot more....try 250K more...= 450K for a new TTS. 991TT/TTS will only be more again i suspect, even though the AUD has never been stronger against the Euro. Try figure that one out.

If only to be able to buy a new 991tt for 200k.....sigh....now that would be more than a dream come true for us aussies. Sigh...... Its best not to think about it. Such disparity with the rest of the developed world is hard to comprehend...

Get this. They quoted me 165K for a new Boxster S last WE. Ridiculous!!!....
Ouch.....
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 PM
bellemastiff
Track Day

That is ridiculous , how much you have to pay in Australia.

Is it a huge tariff? or a punitive 125% 'luxury tax'?

What could possibly cause an 'international' product like a car to cost 2.25x more in AU than it does elsewhere?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by keithos27
Would it not be economical/doable to buy a US TT and have the proper modifications made to import it to AUS? Or would the import tax net out the difference? Wow, that's a lot of coin for a TT!?!?!?!
The criteria for personally importing a car is so tough you wouldnt bother with it. Firstly you have to be living in that country for a period of a t least 12 months and then they still wack you with duty and other stupid stuff.

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
If you could do that then why would there be any Porsche dealers in Australia?
Exactly. The official importer/s are heavily protected by the Govt so basically run their own race to however they see fit. The main problem with the pricing here appears to be based upon the historical rorting which has been happening here over very a long period of time. The Govt also sees the motoring public as a major cash cow. So basically they have all become addicted to it....like heroin junkies. To my knowledge the actual dealers don't make that much at all and the main earn is seen by the official importer, (along with the Govt who takes a sizable slice). But like all things the rorting must end at one point and looking at how many of these new 991's have been actually bought here i'd say this last model price increase has finally tipped the boat over and drowned 80% of the passengers. The internet age has finally educated the population just how much they are getting shafted and with the general squeeze on the global economy and markets the punters to a large degree are all waking up and are not buying these cars at the stupid prices being asked. Well not from what Iv'e seen anyway. Outside of the minority market of super rich bunnies that have placed advanced orders the showroom stock I've seen hasn't seen any movement at all since the release. It was never like this when the 996 and 997 were being sold as new models. So I guess the dealers will have to die with these cars or, start doing end of year deals on the basis of the importers giving some sizable kickback to the dealers...which they need to do anyway. I mean at 320k for a lightly optioned C2S you got to ask yourself have these guys completely lost their mind? Like pay 320k and sell it 4 yeays on for 140...and that's if youre lucky LOL! Or, 450K and 4 years on take 200....if you're lucky. I dont care how rich a person is, that kind of punishment just simply is no longer sustainable from any business or financial sense. With fuel, water and power bills that have doubled/ tripled, high taxes and general costs of living gone through the roof, even wealthy folks are thinking twice how they spend their money now. That never happened 5 10 years ago. It's a whole new ball game today and Porsche Aus has yet to start playing. Still digging their heels in....lol! I guess they should thank Wendelin for that Cayenne. They'd be stuffed otherwise. It's the only thing selling here in any number...and even it is a major rip off. Like try 150K for a Cayenne diesel with 22's and a few basic options. I think you guys pay 55K?

Originally Posted by phillipj
Ouch.....
I just laugh now. Especially when i heard the Boxster quoted at 160. I mean who in their right mind...

Originally Posted by bellemastiff
That is ridiculous , how much you have to pay in Australia.

Is it a huge tariff? or a punitive 125% 'luxury tax'?

What could possibly cause an 'international' product like a car to cost 2.25x more in AU than it does elsewhere?
Whether it's huge tarrif, importer profiteering...many usual new Porsche buyers I've spoken to are seeing it now as just greed gone out of control....and they arent buying into the BS anymore. When i look at the availability of 07, 08 TT's for 200k or less, cars that were 400k new 4years ago you've got to seriously question do you really want to do another 200 to 250K on another new one....and then do another 250 4 years on. Umm nope.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:49 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come to Greece.
A new TT can go to 300k euro with the new import duties. That is $360k! The base 991 costs approx 160k euro, $192k.
And its all taxes. And we are considered the lazy bummed tax evading morons of Europe these days. Did I mention Value Added Tax at 23%? Did I mention that there are also taxes that go by the engine size, so the modest 3.6lt (compared say to a 4.8 Cayenne) also have to pay 1500 euro a year extra, 2000 - 4000 insurance, 1100 road tax. And then there is the indirect taxation scheme. Its a great thing. If you own a 3.6 ltr car, it means you at least have to declare 25k euro. If you dont, then you get taxed like you did. So, for the indirect taxation scheme: 20k for the kids schools, 30k for the house, 25k for the porsche, 25k for the stupid 3.7 ltr Cherokee which by the way I bought for 7k (!) my minimum declared income has to be 100k or I get taxed for it.

Live your myth in Greece...
Old 08-16-2012, 01:19 AM
bellemastiff
Track Day

Sometimes I think the US has ridiculous taxes... thanks for making me feel under-taxed, guys! (Never thought I would say that as an Illinois resident)
Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dianic
Come to Greece.
A new TT can go to 300k euro with the new import duties. That is $360k! The base 991 costs approx 160k euro, $192k.
And its all taxes. And we are considered the lazy bummed tax evading morons of Europe these days. Did I mention Value Added Tax at 23%? Did I mention that there are also taxes that go by the engine size, so the modest 3.6lt (compared say to a 4.8 Cayenne) also have to pay 1500 euro a year extra, 2000 - 4000 insurance, 1100 road tax. And then there is the indirect taxation scheme. Its a great thing. If you own a 3.6 ltr car, it means you at least have to declare 25k euro. If you dont, then you get taxed like you did. So, for the indirect taxation scheme: 20k for the kids schools, 30k for the house, 25k for the porsche, 25k for the stupid 3.7 ltr Cherokee which by the way I bought for 7k (!) my minimum declared income has to be 100k or I get taxed for it.

Don't worry Nick. You're still ahead of my game here with the tax and cars. And you can live your own Geek myth too lol. Look at the upside. You can drive your turbo at 300kph with not too much fear of reprisal. The nanny factor is virtually non existant in Greece. Worse case you cop a piddly fine....that is if the cop can catch you.

Originally Posted by bellemastiff
Sometimes I think the US has ridiculous taxes... thanks for making me feel under-taxed, guys! (Never thought I would say that as an Illinois resident)
Sleep easy. And Taxes aside, you guys are spoilt for choice with affordable high end motor vehicles Aussies would die for. I just wish you guys would stop reminding me just how good you have it with your car prices...
Old 08-16-2012, 09:22 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Come to Greece.

Reminds me of Switzerland, where I live.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 AM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Yasou Nick (Greek-American over here)! Must be amazing having a 911 in Athens, though... I haven't seen many of those around the 20+ times I've visited.

But man those taxes sure do hurt!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Come to Greece.

I have no words for that... That kind of taxation is just amazing and wrong... Like the others said.. My 9.5% California sales tax seems quite paletable now...

Quick Reply: A few questions for all you 996/997 Turbo owners...