997tt purchase - help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:50 PM
deepcool
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997tt purchase - help needed!

Hello,

I am in the UK and looking to purchase a 997TT and have found what looked to be a great, low mileage (8k) model from September 2008, with the majority of the spec I want.

However, a few things have been bugging me after taking a visit to the independent dealer selling it, and I need some advice from the forum if possible...

Firstly, the car was first owned by Porsche Financial Services for 2.5 years in which time it did only 1,700 miles. Does this mean it's been a demonstrator, a Porsche GB staff car or a track car? I'd be a little concerned if it was the latter I have to admit! Or could it have been a lease car? Has anyone seen this before?

Secondly, the first (and only so far) service was done in March 2011, after 2.5 years (I suspect to coincide with the sale of the car to the next buyer). This is outside of the normal 2 year schedule, so will there be problems putting a Porsche warrantly or similar on it? Will companies argue that it was not serviced properly even though it had only done 1,700 miles at that point? I tried calling Porsche tonight for clarification but they were closed, so will call again in the am.

Finally after only 8,000 miles it looks like it's gone through a set of tyres. Is this normal for this car, or does it also suggest that there has been some "good progress" been made on the track?

The car does look and sound great, and was fantastic to drive, but I have some niggling doubts based on the above.

All opinions and advice are very welcome!

Many thanks
Gary
Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by deepcool
Hello,

I am in the UK and looking to purchase a 997TT and have found what looked to be a great, low mileage (8k) model from September 2008, with the majority of the spec I want.

However, a few things have been bugging me after taking a visit to the independent dealer selling it, and I need some advice from the forum if possible...

Firstly, the car was first owned by Porsche Financial Services for 2.5 years in which time it did only 1,700 miles. Does this mean it's been a demonstrator, a Porsche GB staff car or a track car? I'd be a little concerned if it was the latter I have to admit! Or could it have been a lease car? Has anyone seen this before?

Secondly, the first (and only so far) service was done in March 2011, after 2.5 years (I suspect to coincide with the sale of the car to the next buyer). This is outside of the normal 2 year schedule, so will there be problems putting a Porsche warrantly or similar on it? Will companies argue that it was not serviced properly even though it had only done 1,700 miles at that point? I tried calling Porsche tonight for clarification but they were closed, so will call again in the am.

Finally after only 8,000 miles it looks like it's gone through a set of tyres. Is this normal for this car, or does it also suggest that there has been some "good progress" been made on the track?

The car does look and sound great, and was fantastic to drive, but I have some niggling doubts based on the above.

All opinions and advice are very welcome!

Many thanks
Gary
PFS could have retained title to the car had it been financed. I partially ($20K each) financed two cars, briefly, to reestablish some credit history and in both cases the finance company retained the title. I only got the title and in my name after I paid off the loans after making a couple of monthly payments.

I have read in some cases -- in the UK too -- cars used for the press being turned around and sold to a private buyer the buyer being unaware of the car's history.

1700 miles seems a mite low miles though. A press car can rack up 1K miles or thereabouts in just a short few weeks. And Porsche would not keep a press car idle. It has no value if it is not being used by a member of the automotive press.

It could have been a car used by a high muckity muck of PGB. In the last few months I spotted 2 men, high muckity mucks of PCNA, getting into a new Panamera and a woman, another high muckity muck, at another time getting into another Panamera, and almost certainly these cars were properly of PCNA for use by these people, or others like them, when in the area.

For instance, these people fly in and gather up a car at one of the local dealers and then use the car to drive to the various dealers in the area and when done park the car at an obliging dealer -- probably nearest the airport -- and then fly off. The car sits at the dealer until another company officer visits and uses the car as his personal car while in town on PCNA business.

The lack of service is a bit troubling, but early on this is less an issue, but of course if this neglect is continued it can take its toll on the car.

I'd want oil/filter, brake fluid services done, brought up to date. I'd want the tires renewed. Porsche considers tires past their use by date after 6 years and those tires are going to be too old probably before they are worn out.

Then I'd want an alignment.

Also, in the USA the car doesn't keep its CPO warranty unless the car is sold by a private individual to another private individual or the owner trades or sells the car to a Porsche dealer who turns around and sells the car to a private buyer.

Not sure how warranties work in the UK but you better be darn sure you get any warranty the car is supposed to come with in writing, in triplicate, signed in blood.

Be sure to thoroughly test ride/drive the car before you sign on the dotted line.

Have a PPI done and the overrev counters read along with the total engine run time.

Divide the engine run time into the miles and see what the average speed is. Much under 30mph and the odometer might have been rolled back.

Odometer rollback is not unknown, especially with leased cars because if a leased car goes over its miles... oh boy.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

IMO, an executive car. One of my former Corvettes (90 ZR-1) was owned by GM and tracked at the GM Proving Grounds in Arizona. GM performed all of the maintenace which was never documented because it was GM-owned. My proving ground stickers were badges of honor in the Vette community.

Ask the seller to pay for a PPI from an authorized Porsche dealer.

Since its an 08 is it still under OEM warranty?

How can you tell it's gone through a set of tires at 8K? Are they new, not Bridgestone N-spec (OEM I believe), mis-matched etc?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:14 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can go through a set in 8k......

Quick Reply: 997tt purchase - help needed!