Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Took Some Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks Eric and so so true. I actually get the leather cleaned and conditioned once a week. That cream color is tough especially when wearing jeans. Love the look but oh my it is rough to keep clean. I am always amazed when I see pre-owned Porsches and how bad the leather is. An ounce of prevention goes along way. This is my 5th Porsche and every one I have sold has had a great interior.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 805 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Treat the light leather now or you will suffer later. Belt marks, etc...tough to get out.

Lexol conditioner, probably a few times in the first month, buff dry, put it on with your hands. Then let it sit a couple days if you can. You'll be glad you did this later.

Nice one - congrats and drive safe.
Originally Posted by rshanholtz
Thanks Eric and so so true. I actually get the leather cleaned and conditioned once a week. That cream color is tough especially when wearing jeans. Love the look but oh my it is rough to keep clean. I am always amazed when I see pre-owned Porsches and how bad the leather is. An ounce of prevention goes along way. This is my 5th Porsche and every one I have sold has had a great interior.
I have the same interior. In 18,000 kms, my seats have never been in contact with anything other than giant white bath towels that are big enough to cover the seat backs and seat bottoms.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the cream color on my tts, very hard to keep clean.
Jamie is spot on!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:56 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow .. I brought up the leather issue and I got no props at all. This is a tough crowd.. I beg to differ with Eric but the Swiss wax leather care products are far superior to Lexol..

My wife is in the shoe businees so I know quite a bit about leather.

I have 57k miles on my car and the leather is nearly perfect.. I treat it once a week. It would be perfect if I was the original owner..

I think Jamie140 has the right solution. I had an M6 with a creme white interior.. Almost impossible to keep up...

Zaino's "leather care" is also a very good product..

Congrats again on your Turbo.. I like it mre everytime I look at it..
Old 06-05-2012, 02:01 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Thanks Phillip. I have the Zaino product along with Lexol and will try the Zaino this weekend. I have not used the Swiss wax leather products but will look for some. The TTS is by far the best "All-Around" daily driver I have owned to date. The 09' was a close second but in stop-and-go traffic, the PDK is hard to beat. When I am missing the clutch, I jump into the Cayman for some track time. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by rshanholtz; 06-05-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-05-2012, 02:14 PM
phillipj
Drifting

You are a blessed man! I have driven a PDK Turbo S... It's an amazing car..

Even with all the caution and protection possible I would still put something on the drivers seat.. (big white towel lol!)

Here is the link to the Swiss wax leather kit I recommend.

http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...e=LEATHER-CARE

Here is the main link. VERY pricey but cool stuff..

http://www.swissvax.us/

All the best!

Phillip
Old 06-05-2012, 03:33 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Thnaks Phillip for the links, Swiss Wax order is on i's way. Not sure I can drive around on a towel though...
Old 06-05-2012, 05:34 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The performance gap is really large between the two turbos? all around or certain speed ranges? torque?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:54 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LoL I can imagine it can be a pretty slippery seat with large fluffy towels!

Tell us some details about the options of the car. Is the rear spoiler a wrap or carbon? Mirrors? Did I notice the cover of the middle console behind the hand brake is alcantara? Is that a factory option with the Porsche letters on it? I have only seen the turbo script in .1's.

I also noticed you have painted your center caps all black... here is another dyi for you, real easy to do...

Take the center caps off, and lightly sand them with 600 grit sand paper (see pic with 2 caps, top one is sanded, so dont expect to see too much difference. Be careful dont touch the crest, the chrome is easy to scratch).

Carefully mask the P crest with flexible tape (so you can bend it around the curves, cut corners carefully with a blade).

Buy can of matte finish black paint and matte varnish. - or in your case, gloss black and gloss varnish (check if satin is a better match??)

Spray the caps from all angles from a distance of at least 30-40 centimeters and allow to dry for a couple of hours.

Then spray the varnish, or else it is likely that the color will scratch off. If you have patience, wait 2 more hours and spray another coat.

See below for visual aids.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dianic

See below for visual aids.
Hmm, I think that would look perfect on the black CH-R's ! Thanks.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:01 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by phillipj

My wife is in the shoe businees so I know quite a bit about leather.
Since a few days already I was thinking what to do with my leather. My car turns 4 years in July but honestly, the leather is till looking brand new. A light (in weight) female was the previous owner and I believe she never wore jeans.
So I would like to preserve that interior and keep it as new.
Lexol is not for sale over here , Swiss wax is. Costly as you say.
At the moment I have leather care products from Meguiares. I treated the Cocoa interior of my previous car but could not tell a difference. Is that normal ? Should one 'feel' a difference when the leather is cleaned and treated ?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Thanks Denis for the Tip. For my Car, I was going for the all matte look to keep it tight.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:25 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
The performance gap is really large between the two turbos? all around or certain speed ranges? torque?
I found the TTS to be a huge leap forward over the 09'. It is quicker in ALL aspects than the 09'. I have driven a 11' TT and while the delta is not quite as large, still very noticeable. The TTS is the quickest accelerating car I have driven. If you get a chance to drive a 997.1 TT, then a 997.2 TT then a TTS i believe the differences will be profound...assuming all three cars are stock.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:29 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
Thanks Denis for the Tip. For my Car, I was going for the all matte look to keep it tight.
The credit goes to Nick, I just commented because I will use his idea for my new BBS wheels.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Denis.. It really depends on how you treat your car.. I have seen cars with 20k miles on them where the leather is just destroyed. Some people treat their P cars like "beaters"

I know a guy that complained that "Porsche leather is crap" This same person had a Cab and left the top down all the time in the sun in Miami! What did he expect! Not very smart....

I'm even careful how I get "in and out" of my car..

The most important thing is using quality cleaning and conditioning products with the right PH for the leather. It will keep it supple and prevent the dreaded "wear marks" on the bottom an upright drivers seat bolsters (and where your butt rests) It also important to treat your steering wheel (if it's leather and not Alacantra) the oil from your hands can break down the leather. Also the leather trim on the doors and dash (If you have that.)

I like the Swiss Wax kit because it has a cleaner, conditioner, (some stuff called "Elephant leather preserver" (I don't know why they call it that..) and a sealant. It takes half a day to do the car because you have to let the products dry before applying the next.. You leather will look and feel amazing when you're done. Your leather will never show age if you keep on top of it. If your car is rarely driven and is never in the sun or elements then I guess it a mute point...

I guess I just like to rub on my toys...I love detailing my car.. Some people hate it...

Last edited by phillipj; 06-05-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally Took Some Pics