Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Float/Sensor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Gas Tank Float/Sensor Problem

My car sat for a week and when I came out to start it my gas tank gauge showed empty and the low fuel warning light came on. I knew I had a 1/2 tank of gas so I took it to my local gas station and as I suspected could only add 1/2 a tank. Upon starting the car the gauge registered 1/2 a tank and as I drove it it climbed slowly to full. Anyone else have this problem or hear of it?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
My car sat for a week and when I came out to start it my gas tank gauge showed empty and the low fuel warning light came on. I knew I had a 1/2 tank of gas so I took it to my local gas station and as I suspected could only add 1/2 a tank. Upon starting the car the gauge registered 1/2 a tank and as I drove it it climbed slowly to full. Anyone else have this problem or hear of it?
The only thing I can remember hearing about, reading about, is with the 996 Turbo -- and I think the 997 Turbo share's this weakness -- some hose inside the tank coming loose, breaking. The result was the fuel siphoning system didn't work and the symptom I recall was the engine would run out of gas at around 1/2 tank. The tank's lower half is split into two saddles or basins on either side of the front diff's dirve shaft. Without the siphoning system working the fuel from either side can't be supplied to the pump.

It is possible if a hose came loose or depending upon where the hose came loose allowing it to whip around this hose could jam (interfere with) even damage the fuel level sensor/sender system.

Or it could just be a going bad fuel level sensor/sender. There's nothing special about these they can fail just like any other sensor/sender.

BTW, after 1/2 tank the on-board computer takes over the fuel level function calculating the fuel level based on various factors.

I think you are faced with taking the car to a qualified shop for a pro's diagnosis: The problem ain't going away on its own.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Float/Sensor Problem