Sponsored by:

FS: Tubi Twin-can for 997.1 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:05 PM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
Default FS: Tubi Twin-can for 997.1 Turbo

Approx. 3k miles. No discoloration or road rash. Reduces weight over stock and makes awesome power with reduced lag. No drone. 200 Cel Cats. No CEL.

$3100

Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 PM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Price lowered to $2800.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That's a great exhaust, the best one I had on my car (incld the europipe) and hard to find.
If you still have it when I buy my car back, I'll make you an offer.
c
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Sounds good!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:07 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
If you still have it when I buy my car back, I'll make you an offer.
c
When or if ? Please do tell !
I sold my 997TT a few years ago and just bought an other one.
Extremely pleased with my purchase. Same year but lower miles and in better shape.

OP : good luck with the sale, if this item was for sale in EU I would be all over it.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:00 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Should know in the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Exiting times ahead than, keeping my fingers crossed for you !
Old 04-30-2012, 03:13 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

What is the difference with this one :
http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...bi-997t-ex.htm
And how come I can't find the 'twin can' system anywhere new.
Did the 'one can' replace it ?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

The word on the street is that the twin can made more power but was more expensive to produce. Also, a two can system is much easier to install.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^I recall being told the opposite when i purchased my tubi street. The single can was claimed the latest and, more improved version. I doubt whether cost was a contributing factor in doing away with the two can system as logically most manufacturers of any such aftermarket performance products would normally only make changes to the previous design for the sake of improvement, not for producing an even worse result that may affect future sales. So i find it very hard to believe the old system is better than the new one. Also, without any comparative data, which i'm unaware if tubi provides on any of their systems (which is unusual and an indictment of sorts imho), then to say one system actually produced more power than the other is pure speculation.

Incidentally my experience with the 2 tubi exhausts i've bought to date (1 atmo and 1 turbo), neither has produced tangible differences in performance over the stock systems that i was able to feel on my butt dyno. In fact my own experiences were that both systems knocked out power in certain rev ranges.

The atmo system had a good sound and more importantly without drone. It produced a slightly better throttle response from the get go but lost out from the midrange upwards. The engine did not rev/pull as crisply past the midrange as it did with the stock system and felt a tad less urgent.
The same applied with the turbo exhaust where it also became less crisp/urgent after @4000 upward to redline. The system gave an improved exterior note but ceratinly nothing special and it droned from 1800rpm through to 3100, which was not tolerable, least of all beffitting an expensive motor vehicle such as a Porsche. It actually sounded really lousy from the inside....just a variating humming sound mixed with drone through the most commonly used rev range during street driving.

Where the turbo tubi exhaust is concerned you may be able to dial out the losses with a tune, however for me a good exhaust should fundamentally be able to stand alone on its own merits in being able to provide both an improved sound and, an improved performance ....without a tune. The tubi did not produce either of those attribuites, which is why it is no longer on my car.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:27 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

The twin can tubi was a lot more to produce according to champion, the fit was perfect, sounded great, zero drone, no CELs. The secret was two individual cans without joints. On a turbo, any joints, esp if sealed with cheapassed v bands will loosen and drone like a ******. I've had FS, tubi, multiple fvd and finally the EP1. The only ones without drone were the tubi.1 and the EP.
I did do dyno runs with the tubi, with and without flash, it basically made about 25-27hp free standing on a stock ecu, the fs was in the low 20s. I never did a dyno with the EP, but my butt meter tells me it's less than either of the other two.
In comparing the EP to the 997.1 tubi, I liked the tubi better. I have helped install and driven a tubi single can, it droned, sounded nothing like the earlier version fwiw. ( thats the one speed had I believe)
just my .02
Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

The twin can tubi was a lot more to produce according to champion, the fit was perfect, sounded great, zero drone, no CELs. The secret was two individual cans without joints. On a turbo, any joints, esp if sealed with cheapassed v bands will loosen and drone like a ******. I've had FS, tubi, multiple fvd and finally the EP1. The only ones without drone were the tubi.1 and the EP.
I did do dyno runs with the tubi, with and without flash, it basically made about 25-27hp free standing on a stock ecu, the fs was in the low 20s. I never did a dyno with the EP, but my butt meter tells me it's less than either of the other two.
In comparing the EP to the 997.1 tubi, I liked the tubi better. I have helped install and driven a tubi single can, it droned, sounded nothing like the earlier version fwiw. ( thats the one speed had I believe)
just my .02
Somebody should pick this up, it's a great system. The situation with my car ain't looking good.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just my .02
You are right Chris that i had the later single can system. If it was a lot more to produce i'm not sure what "a lot more" actually translates to in dollars and cents, but looking at the two sytems the only difference is the mufflers and put together they represent the same volume/size. So the savings wouldn't be significant.

In so far as the loose or leaking flanges causing the drone, i don't buy that for a second. The system was installed as tight as a drum and when you mentioned to me the possibilities for it droning we went back over it with a fine tooth comb. Even did gas leak tests. It was sealing perfectly....and still droned. The other thing was, information i subsequently received from a very reliable/reputable and well know vendor source informed the two can system, which they had fitted plenty of, was in fact not as good as the later system, and droned worse. They should know id've thought. Maybe drone is subjective? I personally don't think so... but let's just say its "subjective" for the sake of appeasing any future argument. I know there are a lot of faithfull tubi users out there that swear by the product. I'm just reporting my own experiences and i'm also aware of others who have experienced exactly what i did with the drone and ordinary sound and are looking to change the system out....so i'm not flying solo.

There are other issues such as no heat shielding and those that have fitted an exhaust would be able to identify the system sits within a couple of inches from the front crank seal and the rubber drive belts amongst other temperature susceptible engine components. The inevitable heat transfer belting off the muffler/s would be a stress to those items. Note: the stock system has heat shielding as does EP and certain others that identify the problem as being a problem.

The other thing is the cats of the earlier 2 can system look the same as my Tubi single can system going by the OP's pictures. I see the same installation issues where the cat flanges are (where they bolt up to the turbos) thicker than the stock cat flanges, hence the heat sheilds shrowding over the turbos must be reformed/bent to accommodate to the additional thickness/distance of the cat flanges. Also a few of the studs become a little too short due to the cat flanges extra thickness leaving some of the nuts with marginal purchase on the stud threads. Then there is the hopeless fiddly muffler straps, no heat shielding etc which is not exactly what i would call a system that falls onto the car ie. is not of precise dimension, so requires skill, patience, and finesse.

A used Tubi system would represent a great bargain for some buyers especially given its new price of 4600 (as per link). But, as a brand new system, when you consider that cost savings are now being claimed as supposedly the reason behind Tubi's changing from the 2 cans to one, it's not as if any of those savings have been reflected in its extraordinarily high new sale price.

Comparing actual performance and sound benefits (and any negative issues), the overall substance of manufacture and ease and/or difficulty in installation it makes an EP (using it as an example) an absolute steal, and the Tubi an outrageously under engineered and overpriced rip off.

Btw i still have my tubi street for sale too (only 800kms from new) and would be happy to take an offer from anyone interested and i would arrange freight to anywhere. I however believe in educating the buyer so there is no after the event grumbling and will therefore rely on the success stories out there that say these sytems are "OK".

Last edited by speed21; 05-01-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: grammar check.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

So from reading the above, I am of the assumption that there are more expensive exhaust systems but tubi is best bang for the dollar? So why are you selling it?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 AM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atcbi5
So from reading the above, I am of the assumption that there are more expensive exhaust systems but tubi is best bang for the dollar? So why are you selling it?

I think selecting an exhaust is a highly subjective affair. What sounds pleasant to some may not to others and vice versa. It's just the nature of the modification game. In the end, the exhaust that I have for sale is the twin can version which i'm selling for a fraction of new, doesn't not drone in my opinion, and is easier to install in my opinion than the single can currently offered.

Quick Reply: FS: Tubi Twin-can for 997.1 Turbo