Sponsored by:

Getting back into the game!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Getting back into the game!

Well it's been a painful 4 years without my Porsche. I had an '02 996 Manual C4 cab and sold it in 2008. The clutch gave out just after warranty and the coolant reservoir broke as well.

I didn't realize how much I would miss it, until after it was gone. I didn't race, I didn't autocross, but I failed to realize how much I enjoyed the drive home on the twisty roads with the top down after a stressful day of work. Well....time to move forward.

I am leaning towards a 997TT Cab and have been searching the forum for info. It seems like 2009 is the year PDK was released.

As I look for my next Porsche, any information about partiuclar year model issues or cars to avoided would be much appreciated. It also looks like the new 991? TT will be out perhaps next summer. I imagine prices will drop on the 997 TT at that point, but I really don't want to wait that long.

I figure I'll start the process now, and hopefully find what I am looking for by the end of summer or next winter at the latest. I'd like to spend 70-80K, but will push to $100K..

I think this go around it will have to be a black cab. It will not be a garage queen, but not my daily driver either.

I alway like learning from other people's mistakes so any advice or input is much appreaciated. Good to be back on Rennlist!

Last edited by dmac; 02-10-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:29 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dmac
Well it's been a painful 4 years without my Porsche. I had an '02 996 Manual C4 cab and sold it in 2008. The clutch gave out just after warranty and the coolant reservoir broke as well.

I didn't realize how much I would miss it, until after it was gone. I didn't race, I didn't autocross, but I failed to realize how much I enjoyed the drive home on the twisty roads with the top down after a stressful day of work. Well....time to move forward.

I am leaning towards a 997TT Cab and have been searching the forum for info. It seems like 2009 is the year PDK was released.

As I look for my next Porsche, any information about partiuclar year model issues or cars to avoided would be much appreciated. It also looks like the new 991? TT will be out perhaps next summer. I imagine prices will drop on the 997 TT at that point, but I really don't want to wait that long.

I figure I'll start the process now, and hopefully find what I am looking for by the end of summer or next winter at the latest. I'd like to spend 70-80K, but will push to $100K..

I think this go around it will have to be a black cab. It will not be a garage queen, but not my daily driver either.

I alway like learning from other people's mistakes so any advice or input is much appreaciated. Good to be back on Rennlist!
Don't think the PDK hit the turbo until 2010 with the new engine...so the 09 and prior will have a Tip if you want an automatic. 09 and prior have the Mezger GT1 engine too. 10 and later have the DFI engine.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:13 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

09 has the next PCM too, so its a great combo.
There is a lot to be said on the pre DFI (GT1) cars vs the DFI cars, and there is lots written about it. If you are looking for an automatic car, its TIP vs PDK. Between the two combos, you are facing a very large dilemma! I guess what sways it is the usage of the car, whether you will track it, how long you want to keep it, aspirations for resale value...
Good luck. Read as much as you can, and make up your mind, based on your budget.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

If you are not dead set on auto tranny, get the '09...I love mine (6 speed), and as mentioned above, getting the bulletproof long-history GT1 block is a bonus.

Shifting is different on this vehicle compared to your old 996, so you might want to drive a manny tranny to see before deciding. If you are ever in Charlotte, let me know and we can go for a ride.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
If you are not dead set on auto tranny, get the '09...I love mine (6 speed), and as mentioned above, getting the bulletproof long-history GT1 block is a bonus.

Shifting is different on this vehicle compared to your old 996, so you might want to drive a manny tranny to see before deciding. If you are ever in Charlotte, let me know and we can go for a ride.
Thanks Eric. As I do a little more research, I think a 2009 6 speed is where I'm leaning. I liked the 6 speed in my 996, and I imagine it is only better in the 997. I don't have any plans to be in the CLT area anytime soon, but I will certainly contact you if I am and I appreciate the offer.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 6 speed 2010 - needed a short shifter kit though to make it more fun.

Quick Reply: Getting back into the game!