Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice from Turbo owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:21 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do like your list of alternatives. I'm a little gun shy of my Alpina out of warranty- I love the 4 door black executive vehicle. The M5 hits high on my replacement list along with 2011 Audi A8 and newer 7 series. really like A8 for mpg- elegance. All of your alternatives are outstanding-

&

Then you suggest. Turbooooooooooo.

Drop your nuts and get the turbo. the kids will love it. and the wife.

my soon to be- says I should sell the alpina and keep the turbo. timeless.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:23 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

/Users/nickbeez/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/Nov 3, 2011/IMG_1604.JPG
Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an 07 c2s. Sold it then a few months later got a 2012 tts. Have used the tts in three DEs. It was fun. Before I bought it I read the advice that a tts is a good alternative if it is primarily a daily driver, but you take it to the track occasionally. The GT3 is a good alternative if you use it more on the track. I had not planned on buying the tts, but knowing the 991 was about to come out and having read a lot of good things about the tts, I figured that was the way to go. I have not regretted it for a moment.

The tts is a good highway cruiser. Did a 900 mile trip just last week with it. It is comfortable enough in traffic. I have an S class too. The tts is still a little rougher on your body than the S class, but then again what isn't.

Have fun.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Morning gents - I was hoping to get some "real world" feedback from the big boys on the Rennlist board. I have had a few porshe's over the years, most recently a 2008 CarreraS that I drove for three years. Had kids and wanted something a tad more practical, so got into a 2011 M3 convertible, and have around 1 year left on the lease. LOVED my 911, made some slight suspension and exhaust upgrades, and tracked the car 6-8 times or so. I have really enjoyed the M3, especially the bang for the buck performance, but finding that the M3 is little too "ricky racer" for me. I am a 46 year old business owner, and looking for something more of a sucessful, executive sports car / sedan. So, currently on my hit list is a) Mercedes AMG CLS63; b) some variant of a Panamera, c) 2013 BMW M5, or d) the new 991.

On the latter note, given the timing, the new Turbo will be out by the time I am ready to lease another car. While of course no one on here has yet driven one, my question really relates to whether or not a Turbo can be a realistic Daily Driver (sorry for the long preamble). While the new 991 variants of the "S" , 4S or GTS (if still ongoing) will likely produce some great product and stats, there is the obvious "mystique" of the Turbo to all p-car owners.

My wife has a 2010 S-Class, which we drive most weekends with the kids, so the Turbo would be my daily driver to the office (maybe a 30-minute commute with zero traffic), with use on weekends as errands permitted. Of course, I also am somewhat curious about annual maintenance costs on the Turbo, especially since I'll be putting 12-15K on it. the 997S was bullet proof, and all I really ever needed to do the entire lease was a) deal with $200 oil changes, and b) 2x a year rear tire replacements.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the feedback, pro and con.

Scott
I use my 03 Turbo almost like a DD. I alternate between it and my Boxster.

My work commute is 30 miles nearly all highway so I can put easy 60+ miles a day on whatever car I drive.

However, I have a weakness for long road trips whenever I can get away and I take the Turbo on those.

So, since I bought the car used in June 09 with just 10K miles I have added 76K miles to the car. Last fill up the car's odometer had over 86K miles showing.

Save for oil/filter services every 5K miles and rear tires on average every 20K miles with fronts every 40K miles (and alignment whenever all 4 tires are replaced) that's about it. Intake and cabin air filters get replaced every 2 years or so and brake fluid flushes get done every 2 years. My car is on its original brakes and clutch.

I expect the 997 Turbo would be the same or nearly so.

The Turbo is a joy to drive, offers the driver good visibility out which is important of course, is comfortable, is scary fast when one wants it to be, and did I mention it is a joy to drive?

These cars are very nice DD's the only downside -- at least to me -- is the fuel consumption when used in town for short trips. The Boxster gets around 22-23mpg in town driving while the Turbo gets, struggles to get and often fails, 20mpg under the same conditions.

Just a few mpg difference doesn't seem like much and it isn't, but because of the tank fill up intervals it does matter, at least psychologically, a bit.

With the Boxster I can get by on one tank fill up per week and oftentimes I can get 300+ miles out of tank of gas. With the Turbo I have to fill up the tank late in the work week and after getting only 250 or so miles from the tank.

Still, if I had to limit myself to one car as a DD it would be the Turbo.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 779 Likes on 361 Posts

Aside from brief affairs with others, I've driven 4 997tt's as daily beaters. I'm currently dd'ing a 997 tt S cab. Prior to that I had 4 or 5 996tt's.

If your tastes run toward sporty cars, I can't imagine a better daily beater.

Quick Reply: Need some advice from Turbo owners