Sponsored by:

997.2 Turbo S Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 AM
denlinn
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 Turbo S Tune

So, I've seen the posts asking why you would want to tune the ECU on a .2 Turbo S (suggesting that it is fast enough), and I agree it is amazing. But, has anyone put a tune on one of them? Softronic shows ~ 80hp gain, and from what I've read that is within the limits of the PDK. Just curious if anyone has done Softronic or other, and what your impressions are regarding the experience. I've already added a Europipe, and only have access to 91 octane if that helps. Appreciate any opinions.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:13 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Don't touch that ECU. It's already one of the fastest race cars made for the street, especially when you take into consideration the amount of power and torque generated by a 3.8L engine, strapped to your back, and the hp to weight ratio that this car possesses when compared to other sports cars. Let's face it, it's practically a space shuttle on wheels when you factor in the boost generated in sport plus mode. Just drive it. You'll never see all 530HP as it is.

Jay
Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 AM
denlinn
8th Gear

Thanks for your thoughts, Jay. I know the car is crazy fast, but faster is funner, right? Any idea how much extra you got from the headers versus just the Europipe?

Dennis
Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
dennywags
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

for most people horsepower is a number that is used as a bragging point at cocktail parties.

spend your money on tires and track days.

the only numbers that count are lap times.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:14 PM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you think the car is fast now then you will love the tune. We have been using Softronic over here at POWERTECH for quite some time now and have not had any issues at all. The tune is an awesome modification and will make the car unbelievable. The tune will also modify the boost pressure when in sport mode as well. I highly recommend this to everyone.

As far as only having 91 octane available that wouldnt be an issue because as long as you specify that then Softronic will tune the car accordingly (you might not see the full 80 hp gain).

You will also want to make sure that anytime you take the car in for service (unless you use an independant shop) that you flash it back to stock to prevent warranty issues.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:24 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by denlinn
Thanks for your thoughts, Jay. I know the car is crazy fast, but faster is funner, right? Any idea how much extra you got from the headers versus just the Europipe?

Dennis
I was told headers added 12-18Hp. Hard to say if I could actually verify it with the butt dyno, but I can tell you that it did make a difference when in Sport or Sport Plus mode. The car just accelerated faster, and reached the boost faster. Again this was my general perception as I drove the car in sport mode.

Jay
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Dennis
So, I've seen the posts asking why you would want to tune the ECU on a .2 Turbo S (suggesting that it is fast enough), and I agree it is amazing. But, has anyone put a tune on one of them? Softronic shows ~ 80hp gain, and from what I've read that is within the limits of the PDK. Just curious if anyone has done Softronic or other, and what your impressions are regarding the experience. I've already added a Europipe, and only have access to 91 octane if that helps. Appreciate any opinions.
I for one am really interested in this thread.. As a 996t owner; we have lots of discusion, info and actuals to look at. I do plan to own a 997t in the future. I can tell you, that the UMW tune really wakes up the 996. Adding hybrid turbos, and other hardware add more. I realize the 997 has the v.vane turbos, and a greatly enhanced platform already. But, surely there is much more to be extracted from an already improved car. Each generation of the 911 advances over the previous. So, what can safely be done??? Much of the world is now enjoying winter. The pacific northwest, is hammered with non-drivable roads. So,...since not driving...
Old 01-19-2012, 04:02 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Lance
Put snow tires on your car, and drive it
I was amazed how well my 996TT w/ snows did
also agree on UMW, not sure if he has anything for the 997 though
I would check with him first though, before considering anything else
Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 AM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We have built hybrid v.vane turbos. It wakes the car up nicely.

I do not have any dyno numbers to back up this statement, but I have been told that it is a waste to change the headers or cats on a DFI car. I would like to dyno the cars before and after for myself to prove that statement.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Turbo S Tune