Sponsored by:

Problem and a Solution for the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Problem and a Solution for the Turbo

I noticed a few weeks ago on our Rennlist run to Saratoga the engine in my car at certain RPM was making a low frequency humming sound. Hard to describe but I knew something wasn't right with the car. It seemed to perform ok but had a weird sound at times. I took it to my trusted Porsche mechanic and we went for a ride (not from the dealer) and he heard it but we thought maybe the muffler has issues or a leak in the exhaust, not really sure. Yesterday I dropped off the car and he told me another 997 tt was in the week before with a similar issue. He lubed the turbo's and the strange sound disappeared and the car's performance is way better than it was. I heard this was a TSB a while ago but didn't know the symptoms. If anyone is experiencing the same issue now you know the solution and I didn't have to take it to the dealer and try to explain the problem. A big win yesterday for my TT and me!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:43 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
I noticed a few weeks ago on our Rennlist run to Saratoga the engine in my car at certain RPM was making a low frequency humming sound. Hard to describe but I knew something wasn't right with the car. It seemed to perform ok but had a weird sound at times. I took it to my trusted Porsche mechanic and we went for a ride (not from the dealer) and he heard it but we thought maybe the muffler has issues or a leak in the exhaust, not really sure. Yesterday I dropped off the car and he told me another 997 tt was in the week before with a similar issue. He lubed the turbo's and the strange sound disappeared and the car's performance is way better than it was. I heard this was a TSB a while ago but didn't know the symptoms. If anyone is experiencing the same issue now you know the solution and I didn't have to take it to the dealer and try to explain the problem. A big win yesterday for my TT and me!
Good you caught it. I remember the bulletin - do you know if the lube is supposed to be regular maintenance task or just a one-time deal?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

pretty sure it's a one time servce

Quick Reply: Problem and a Solution for the Turbo